Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #41

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Thanks to all of those replies! There's a lot to learn to be a good Admiral. Leaves room for self doubt! ��

Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #42
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My anchor locker has no drain, no mud and no smell.
Wow, that is hard for me to imagine. I hose down my anchor every time I bring it up, and unless I am out for a long time, I use fresh water to do it. If I didn't, and particularly if I didn't have a drain, the anchor locker would be nasty in a short time. On my sailboat I didn't have a washdown pump. I would hose down the anchor locker every time I returned to the dock and would flush lots of mud out of the drain.

Without a drain, I would be worried about corrosion if nothing else.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I know...it befuddles me, too. But it's been clean for 9 years and I probably anchor an average of 10 times per month. It's a combo rode but most anchorings are with all chain (120 ft). It's not often that I let out enough rode to lay the Brait on the bottom. I guess I do an OK job of keeping the muck out of the locker. Maybe our bottom mud is not as sticky as yours up there. Anyone who has been on my boat knows there are no smells from my anchor locker. It also might be the difference between my brackish/fresh waters and your saltwaters.

Last October a Hatteras decided to park on my anchor pulpit during the San Francisco Fleet Week air show. In the process of rebuilding the pulpit, the anchor locker was emptied of its rode. I was there for the dropping of the anchor. The locker was very clean...just wiped it out with a little Simple Green and a towel. It had not been emptied since the extra 90 ft of chain was added in April 2011.

With my combo rode, the chain rests on the 240 ft of 5/8 Brait in the bottom of the locker. As far as I can tell, there is no water pooling there.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A friend of mine just cut off about 100 feet of his chain.

The locker didn't drain well...but it was a new boat to him so not his fault.

Much of that 100 feet was rusted together on clumps...so badly that even a hammer didn't knock them apart easily or well.

The boat wasn't that old. The cut was from the end that was just swapped from the anchor end....once the galvanizing is compromised, and it sits in even rain water, there's enough salt around that it quickly deteriorates.

My boat had great looking chain...200 feet of it but amazingly enough 5 or 6 links, random ones, were wasted badly. One down to a hairs thickness. I think a few were from sitting in water, the badly wasted one could have been exposed to an uncovered 12v solenoid terminal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #45
Guru

City: East Coast
When I bring my anchor up (with the windlass), I stop the windlass short of pulling it all the way in and then use short bursts to get it to where it belongs.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
With my combo rode, the chain rests on the 240 ft of 5/8 Brait in the bottom of the locker. As far as I can tell, there is no water pooling there.
I wonder if it is a combination of the nylon line keeping the chain out of any water that does accumulate under the water evaporates and the fresh water? In any event, it is great that you don't have any issues.

Some of the mud that comes up with my anchor and chain is very sticky stuff and takes a lot of hosing down to clear it off.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Some of the mud that comes up with my anchor and chain is very sticky stuff and takes a lot of hosing down to clear it off.
I found some of that mud last week on an overnight hook. It took lots of spraying and some persistent poking with the boat hook to release the cement-like mud from my anchor. Very unusual for most of my anchorings.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I have long been of the opinion that the three ways of hurting the windlass are:
1 to raise the anchor without using the boat to maintain slack on the rode
2 to not use a snubber when anchored so that the shock and pull are on the windlass and not the cleats
3 when the anchor does not just easily lift out, using the windlass rather than the boat and snubber to break the anchor out.

I just don't see where lifting the anchor the last five feet is going to wreck the windlass.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I have a swivel. But I don't simply crank the anchor aboard. Usually have to wash off mud and sometimes pick off vegetation before complete recovery. So, I operate anchor recovery from the pedals at the windlass with a fresh-water hose in-hand.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #50
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
A question. With a chain gypsy I would have thought that the anchor HAD to return the right way up since the chain links deploy and return the same way on the ratchets?

Or are we discussing anchors with swivels that somehow negates that??

The chain will twist when the boat swings around where the anchor is set.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #51
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
The chain will twist when the boat swings around where the anchor is set.
It will. But when brought back to the gypsy it HAS to reverse that twist and return the same way it was deployed unless it has jumped off the gypsy ratchets.

Hence the anchor will be correctly aligned.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #52
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We have a couple of green wire ties on a link we like to stop the chain at. This prevents ramming it home.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
It will. But when brought back to the gypsy it HAS to reverse that twist and return the same way it was deployed unless it has jumped off the gypsy ratchets.

That is not my experience. And yes, I have a swivel and there are times when twisted chain jumps and rides over (not off) the gypsy. The chain tension keeps it from falling off the gypsy even when twisted links pass over it.

My ground tackle consists of an 80# anchor with 5/16" HT chain and a Maxwell HWC 2200 windlass. Further, with a swivel there will always be an uncertainty factor as to how the anchor's position will arrive at the bow roller.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:

Quote:
That is not my experience. And yes, I have a swivel and there are times when twisted chain jumps and rides over (not off) the gypsy. The chain tension keeps it from falling off the gypsy even when twisted links pass over it.

My ground tackle consists of an 80# anchor with 5/16" HT chain and a Maxwell HWC 2200 windlass. Further, with a swivel there will always be an uncertainty factor as to how the anchor's position will arrive at the bow roller.
What Menzies describes has actually been proven to be so in my case, sans swivel, but I have a groove in the rollers that tends to orientate the chain the same way coming up as it was going down, and yes, from past experience a swivel negates that natural aligning effect. It also might be somewhat less effective with a gypsy shaft which is not horizontal, i.e. a vertical gypsy, where the shaft is vertical, so the gypsy rotates parallel to the deck, might be more likely for the chain to jump a bit. I think...
Old 09-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #55
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Although I have foot switches at the bow, I usually raise the anchor from the helm. I don't anchor in mud so no washing required. My main anchor doesn't have have a top & bottom so alignment isn't an issue either.

To avoid over-stressing the windlass motor I keep the clutch adjusted so it will slip if the anchor is pulled hard up against the bow roller.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #56

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
When I bring my anchor up (with the windlass), I stop the windlass short of pulling it all the way in and then use short bursts to get it to where it belongs.
Me too.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #57
Guru

My windlass is oversized for my boat's anchor. Further, I operate it with a 24v bank to minimize voltage drop in the existing wires there were sized by Silverton for a smaller 12v Goodie windlass. I learned the hard way that one SHOULD NOT use his windlass to pull the anchor continuously but rather in short bursts of pulls.

The problem with pulling continuously is most times I found the windlass pulling the boat, heck what did I care......my windlass can pull the gonads off an elephant. Foolish thoughts! The chain set so firmly into the gypsy that the chain stripper got ripped off the deck along with the hawser.

I now always use short pulls from the helm and carefully use the engines to relieve as much strain as possible on the chain. Also use the engines to free the anchor, not the windlass.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #58
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:

The problem with pulling continuously is most times I found the windlass pulling the boat, heck what did I care......my windlass can pull the gonads off an elephant. Foolish thoughts! The chain set so firmly into the gypsy that the chain stripper got ripped off the deck along with the hawser.

I now always use short pulls from the helm and carefully use the engines to relieve as much strain as possible on the chain. Also use the engines to free the anchor, not the windlass.
Are you usually retrieving the anchor solo?

My wife is the anchor wench. When she is on the bow with her foot on the switch she has her arm out giving me the direction AND the horizontal line of the chain. I can then use the engines to power in that direction to have the boat come up on the anchor. As her arm starts to lower, meaning I am coming up on the anchor or the chain is too slack I ease off on the engines. When she has her arm straight down it means I am over the anchor and can push past a little to bump it off.

Doing this we always retrieve continuously.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #59
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Under little strain, the windlass should have little trouble lifting 100 feet of chain or so continuously or something else is wrong.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Under little strain, the windlass should have little trouble lifting 100 feet of chain or so continuously or something else is wrong.
Not attempting to be snotty...but did you read my post? It has nothing to do with anchor chain length where I described my windlass problems when using it to move the boat while retrieving the anchor.

Whatever works for you is just fine by me. In the mean time I will retrieve my anchor using the method I described earlier.