Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'd have to say I agree with you, Ed. I like the look, but not the work. I tolerate the work since the boating life is a series of compromises. High on my list of "unwanteds" on my ideal boat list was exterior brightwork. But then I found a boat with too many "wanteds" to overlook, so I reluctantly accepted the varnished teak.
My idea of "brightwork" is stainless steel, not wood.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My idea of "brightwork" is stainless steel, not wood.

Party pooper!

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Party pooper!
Hey I used to own a green striped P40 just like yours and I know what it was like to maintain the wood. As soon as I worked my way around the boat just kept going. Now that I won't see 75 again I don't want to waste what's left on bright work. The green also fades and chalks more work unless you two part paint it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Mine were in pretty rough shape when we bought the boat . Originally I was going to paint my rails with some of those bright Carribbean colors like orange and turquoise but the wife wouldn't go for it . I work at a lumber company so I was able to get a good deal ( as good as you can ) on some Bermease teak . We just ripped off the old and made new rails . It sounds like a lot of work but I'm not so sure that wasn't easier than trying to get what I had to look halfway decent. It was much easier to varnish starting out with new teak . No hardware to deal with .I did the woodwork over the winter in my shop and we started the varnish in early spring . We put a coat on every other day . Six coats total . It probably needs more but not this year.

Would I do it again ?
( I probaly would if the right boat fell in my lap and that's what it needed )
Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #25
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Hey Mule, can you post a couple pictures of them. I don't have any cap rails but a couple other pieces of exterior wood trim I've been thinking of doing exactly that with.

I'd like to see the pics too. I've gotten most of the teak scraped clean and now need to decide the next steps. Being done with the project is what I want. If painting is the least labor and time consuming, longest lasting solution, that's where I'm headed.

Like most others, I can appreciate the beauty of finely finished bright-work. But I have too many other, more interesting things on which to spend my limited leisure time.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Painting teak might be an option some choose BUT if you're going to go that route, please seal the teak well with a varnish of some sort first so, if in the future, you change your mind or a subsequent owner decides to go "au naturel" your name will not be cursed. Pretty well impossible to remove soaked in paint from raw teak. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #27
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I attended a seminar today at the Defever rendezvous in Palm Beach. The advice was never to use anything coarser than 120 or 150. The coarser the paper, they said, the deeper the grooves you're cutting and the more you have to sand to return to perfectly smooth. If you're a member of the Defever forum, there are several guys who have done a lot of teak work who can share their techniques.

Also mentioned was watch how close the heat gun gets to the glass you wouldn't be the first to crack a pane of glass from the heat.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #28

City: Split croatia
Vessel Name: Lilja
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Those rails are so bad I'd pressure wash them before doing any sanding. Sure it will raise the grain, but who cares, you have lots of sanding to do either way. And pressure washing will get more of the old embedded finish out of the grain faster than sanding. Then start with 80 grit, 120 then 220.

Wipe the wood down with clean microfiber rags as you go so you can see your progress. Just before you start to apply your finish wipe the wood down with lots of clean microfiber towels and alcohol.

What type of finish do you intend to put on the wood?

I was considering pure tung oil. I know there are many different solutions. What's your view?
jbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I used pure tung oil....still good after 5 to 6 months...when I get home from the trip...will add a few more coats with nothing more than a wash.

I refuse to ever varnish or strip again...better things to do with my time. The wash and tung oil application will take less than a couple hours for hand rails, trim and doors. Following coats should take about an hour plus apiece.

I've got a bottle of this to test, pure tung lil no additives. How did you apply it ? It says thin the first coat with white spirit.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm sure your dock neighbors will love you if you start blowing the sanding dust all around as recommended above. I would think that a vacuum would be much more neighbor-friendly. I'd also be careful of pressure washing due to loss of teak material.

I've been advised to use a heat gun and scraper, followed by chemical stripper if needed to get the hard-to-reach areas, then sanding with 80-150 grit.

Here are some helpful link/videos.

3 Ways to Strip Teak

Thank you ill try and find the card scraper
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
I've got a bottle of this to test, pure tung lil no additives. How did you apply it ? It says thin the first coat with white spirit.
just rubbed t on with a rag..no thinning..it soaked right in...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
I was considering pure tung oil. I know there are many different solutions. What's your view?
It really depends on what look you are going for and how much work you are willing to do to keep that look. A classic deep glossy clear look, matt finish, oiled finish, etc.?

What's the weather like where you'll be keeping the boat? Also ask those in the area whst they use on their teak and how they like it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I attended a seminar today at the Defever rendezvous in Palm Beach. The advice was never to use anything coarser than 120 or 150. The coarser the paper, they said, the deeper the grooves you're cutting and the more you have to sand to return to perfectly smooth. If you're a member of the Defever forum, there are several guys who have done a lot of teak work who can share their techniques.

Thank you i follow the site and will get in touch with them.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Also mentioned was watch how close the heat gun gets to the glass you wouldn't be the first to crack a pane of glass from the heat.
Right! And they were quoting 1 boat unit per pane to replace (which I believe included labor).
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a can of "Hope's 100% Tung Oil. But it says in smaller print (but not small print) "for interior use".
Anybody have any idea why they say "for interior use"?

My wife Chris does the teak. She brings the color back by applying a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking powder and apple cider vinegar. She applies the mixture, waits a bit and then scrapes w a putty knife that dosn't have a sharp edge. She does about 14" of cap rail at a time. Wire brushing helps at times. One must be careful w the mixture as it's strong stuff. She rinses the wood w a very wet (water) cloth/towel when done.

No sanding or store chemicals and no sharp edge scrapping required other than perp for finishing. And the good scrapers are the ones w tungsten carbide blades. They last an unbelievably long time. Definitely don't pressure wash. Pressure washing should IMO be very limited as water gets behind rubber seals, between cracks and joints to enter places that in time causes lots of damage.

After Chris's cleaning she applies varnish by the traditional method of thinning the first or the first several coats of varnish.

If you do want the really smooth boat show kind of finnish wet sand (3 or 400 grit) with thinned varnish and wipe. Your sandings will enter the low spots and/or cracks. If you put enough effort into it a very glass like smooth surface will result.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If some one wants to they can make their own oil finish by mixing equal parts boiled linseed oil, turpentine and a good oil based gloss varnish.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bill I did that for several years in Alaska.
Worked quite well but I needed to re-coat about every two months.
And the surface was slightly tacky. I used raw LO though and no more than about 10% varnish. Mostly LO and turp.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'm with Mark, and the PO of my Hatteras, the latter of whom took the massive forward rails off and replaced them with stainless, just leaving the rails aft of the pilot house doors teak (which were then covered most of the time with Sunbrella, removed for special occasions for show. Win-win, IMO. Painting them is only a slight improvement over properly varnishing them, and I have, unlike my friend Bill, never seen it look right. Not to mention it is easier to hang stuff off a stainless tube rail, with less residual damage, than a wood one. Love 'em or leave 'em!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
We, or rather my wife who's the heat gun artist, use a heat gun and various kinds of scrapers. Never has a problem getting all the old finish off without removing any wood. She uses different degrees of heat depending on the tenacity of different sections of finish.

Once she's done I give the bare wood a light hand sanding with 220 grit paper, then apply two coats of CPES followed by the first coat of finish while the second coat of CPES is still tacky.

That's it and it works perfectly every time.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #40
Opu
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Source for Scrapers

I suggest you check out Lee Valley (leevalley.com). Great source for all kinds of woodworking tools. They have a large selection of scrapers - card, straight, curved, with or without handles... Good company to deal with and a little slice of heaven for hand tool fanatics.

Opu is offline   Reply With Quote