Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

City: Key West
Question research help

Hello guys and gals,

I am in the hunt for a newer boat. My wife and I have been living aboard our 1964 50' Hatteras "Hull No.1" MotorYacht since 2012. We have decided to put her up for sale and go a little smaller due to the fact that we just bought a house too. We are in love with the Mainship 400. It crosses everthing off our list. I am asking for help to see if there are any other boats that cross off the whole list?

The list that attracts us is:

1. Actual stairs going to the fly-bridge. We feel we will not use it if we have to carry our food and drinks with us up a ladder.

2. Cockpit, swim Platform. We want to be able to access the inside of the boat via the cockpit. We want a tuna door out to the swim platform.

3. A 2nd stateroom that will be used for storage only. It can be any style berth, and size.

4. Diesel engine(s) with Bow Thruster

5. Trying to stay in the 38-42" range

As far as cruising goes, we live in Key West. We would want to travel to the Bahamas frequently. Other than that, mainly cruising the Keys, and Inter-coastal Waterway

Thanks in advance
81spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Bayliner 4788
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81spider View Post
We are in love with the Mainship 400. It crosses everthing off our list. I am asking for help to see if there are any other boats that cross off the whole list?

1. Actual stairs going to the fly-bridge. We feel we will not use it if we have to carry our food and drinks with us up a ladder.

2. Cockpit, swim Platform. We want to be able to access the inside of the boat via the cockpit. We want a tuna door out to the swim platform.

3. A 2nd stateroom that will be used for storage only. It can be any style berth, and size.

We shopped on the Mainship 400 too, as well as the Mainship 430 which would also likely meet your criteria (very similar to ours) except for that extra foot.

We went a different direction, though... and if you're not locked into the "trawler" approach there are several sportfish (convertible) and sedan bridge boats that do all that. Brands like Sea Ray, Carver, Formula, Cruisers (I think), Silverton, etc...

Not a recommendation, just an observation...

-Chris
Old 06-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81spider View Post
Hello guys and gals,

I am in the hunt for a newer boat. My wife and I have been living aboard our 1964 50' Hatteras "Hull No.1" MotorYacht since 2012. We have decided to put her up for sale and go a little smaller due to the fact that we just bought a house too. We are in love with the Mainship 400. It crosses everthing off our list. I am asking for help to see if there are any other boats that cross off the whole list?

As far as cruising goes, we live in Key West. We would want to travel to the Bahamas frequently. Other than that, mainly cruising the Keys, and Inter-coastal Waterway

Thanks in advance
My boats not for sale . Good luck on your hunt and welcome aboard!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: Into the Mystic
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
We recently purchased a Silverton 43 which seems to fit your list for the most part.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Lots of options in that size range. If you don't mind going slow, you could consider a North Pacific 42/43.

1. Outside stairs on either side of the boat from the deck outside the PH up the flybridge. (Narrow stairs but with a very robust rail on the outside)

2. Fulling covered cockpit with a door into the saloon. Center door in the aft transom to swim platform. The difference in the size of the 42 vs 43 is that the 43 has a deeper swim platform.

3. A second cabin opposite the head. There are a couple of configurations but lot of room for storage.

4. Single Cummins Diesel. I believe all were delivered with a bow thruster and many have a stern thruster as well.

5. Just a bit larger than what you are looking for but not much.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #7

City: Key West
Thank you
81spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
What dimer2 said - you ought to look at the 4788. Vastly under-rated, I think. There was a great one for sale on Classifieds not long ago. Doubt if it's still there - it was a screaming deal. But, they're around.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote