Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Rescue towing

A significant part of the United States Power Squadrons' pledge*was to, "render assistance to anyone afloat*who is disabled or in distress"

That was shortened to, "to render assistance whenever possible".

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 24th of June 2011 12:04:24 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 24th of June 2011 12:10:56 PM

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Rescue towing

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
A significant part of the United States Power Squadrons' pledge*was to, "render assistance to anyone afloat*who is disabled or in distress"

That was shortened to, "to render assistance whenever possible".

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 24th of June 2011 12:04:24 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 24th of June 2011 12:10:56 PM
*I fully understand that Don. * I always try to help. *

There was even one instance where it was a paid captain on a 50ft sailboat in what obviously was not familiar waters to him. *He made it a point to tell me he was a hired captain...as if to impress me or sometung. *They were aground in a marked channel that has not been passable for years(the West channel into Offat's Bayou off of the ICW). *I went through my schpiel and when I got them off I instructed them on where the deep water was. *Tha "professional" captain blew off my advice and proceeded to get stuck again. *We were already driving away when my wife said she tried to divert my attention so I wouldn't look back because she knew I would turn around and help the dumbass again. *Well I did and I did. I asked the "professional" captain if he knew where the passable channel was? *And then I made him promise he would follow my insructions...regardless I wasn't gonna help a third time. *Anyway, I have to admit I was pretty condescending at this point.

I guess my point is I usually go out of my way to help. *And obviously most people are thankful. *Realistically, all you should do is make sure everyone is okay and not in danger and then call a professional tow boat. *That would really be the proper thing to do for all parties involved.

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 25th of June 2011 11:50:48 PM

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Rescue towing

Quote:
Baker wrote:
I guess my point is I usually go out of my way to help. *And obviously most people are thankful. *Realistically, all you should do is make sure everyone is okay and not in danger and then call a professional tow boat. *That would really be the proper thing to do for all parties involved.

*I wish there was a professional tow boat service in my boating area. There is not.**So one must do what ever you can to help a boater in distress.

It is almost like a Mayday every body listens everybody goe's.

Must be nice to have those things available to you.

People come to Alaska and think it is just one pig park. I have to tell you. It isn't. There are no park rangers on the corner and most of the Troopers cover an area the size of most states. Every time you go out you are on your own.

Refrence my signature.**If you cant fix it.**Don't have a requirement for it.* As sure as you do it will break and leave you stranded.

Like never go out in the dink with just the outboard. gotta have a back up.*An oar

I kind of like it that way.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 27th of June 2011 02:45:45 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Rescue towing

When returning to Morehead City Yacht Basin from Oriental, as we exited the Adams Creek Canal just south of where Jarret Bay Boat Works is now, we saw a 43' Hatteras cruiser out of the channel and aground.* They hailed us on the radio, and asked if we could pull them off.* They were pretty desparate.* I rigged a bridle, and had them throw a line.* It was way more than my 2 Chrysler V8s could do.* So we, took the line loose and called the USCG at Ft. Macon.* They said they would send a 40' boat to try and get them off.* (There was no Seatow or Tow Boat/US then).* As MCYB was the nearest marina at that time, about 2300 hrs we heard the Coast Guard towing them into the marina.* Their running gear was trashed.

The next morning a US Marshall came down the dock, asked them to exit the boat, and secured the boat with yellow tape.* The boat was impounded.* It seems that they had run out on a big yard bill in Ft. Lauderdale.* They didn't want to call the Coasties as they knew they were wanted.* We don't know what happened to the boat.* After several days, one of the boat yards got an order to tow it over there.

Of course, the couple on the boat said that it was all a mistake.* Never heard anything else.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 11:39:48 AM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
RE: Rescue towing

Hey Willy, is that the Swinomish Channel?

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote