Rescue from an overturned 133ft vessel near Puerto Rico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Incredible footage! I guess they climbed the running gear to reach safety? Wonder if they were the only people on board. (Heroic stuff you used to be involved with, Scott.)

Yikes. Condolences for the trapped sailor.

Last edited:
Incredible footage! I guess they climbed the running gear to reach safety? Wonder if they were the only people on board. (Heroic stuff you used to be involved with, Scott.)

One man died after being trapped in the overturned boat.

Nice... I am sure the crew us getting attaboys as its not their bread and butter mission and I guess the C130 took the footage.

In the good old days, we would have just put a wheel on deck and let all, 3 climb on board the helo in sbout 10 seconds. :D

Dramatic hoisting them all but....... the dang helos I flew only had one engine or couldnt hover on one engine so we did everything QUICK if we had to hover in a bad spot.....:eek:

I tried to avoid the heroic stuff, wanted to live long enough to cruise. Let the kids have the fun stuff.

Nice... I am sure the crew us getting attaboys as its not their bread and butter mission and I guess the C130 took the footage.

In the good old days, we would have just put a wheel on deck and let all, 3 climb on board the helo in sbout 10 seconds. :D

Dramatic hoisting them all but....... the dang helos I flew only had one engine or couldnt hover on one engine so we did everything QUICK if we had to hover in a bad spot.....:eek:

I tried to avoid the heroic stuff, wanted to live long enough to cruise. Let the kids have the fun stuff.

A neighbor of mine got the Silver Star for flying a Jolly Green during the Mayaguez incident--often described as the last battle of the Vietnam Nam war. He evacuated 76 marines who were under intense fire from the Khmer Rouge. He did this in total darkness, transferring the first batch to a Navy frigate while hovering with only two wheels touching the ship. Then he went back for the second batch and took them to the carrier Coral Sea because his chopper was too shot up to continue. He's a very modest guy and I'd never have known if someone else hadn't told me. They don't make enough medals for that kind of heroism, IMHO.

I sat on awards boards much of my career because of my operational experience.

I always told selectees, no matter what, take'm when they give them to you and smile, even when not all that deserved.

That's because when you really earn one, you may never see it. Usually it is too scary for anyone else to be there, certainly the media or politicians who sometimes make ordinary rescues into sensational acts.

Wow! Thanks for posting the info.

Cheers.

H.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom