Old 08-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #81
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
The engine, gearbox and electical panels were lumped together in a single quote. I believe I changed to a heavier duty gearbox which cost an additional $700 as well as the $500 for the longer wiring harness which upped the cost to the $23k.
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #82

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
For the best price on a Beta I'd contact Joe DeMers.

Welcome to Sound Marine Diesel
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #83

City: Biloxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
For the best price on a Beta I'd contact Joe DeMers.

Welcome to Sound Marine Diesel
Thanks, I just emailed him and will call on Monday. Beta is our first choice but so far Yanmar is $5,000 cheaper. I hope he can help us work it out. Thanks for you referral.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #84
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by drf6 View Post
The engine, gearbox and electical panels were lumped together in a single quote. I believe I changed to a heavier duty gearbox which cost an additional $700 as well as the $500 for the longer wiring harness which upped the cost to the $23k.
Great writeup. Interesting about having to destroy the old block in order to import the non-compliant replacement.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #85
FF
Guru

"I believe I changed to a heavier duty gearbox which cost an additional $700"

Sometimes the "heavy duty" gear box on marinizations can be used to reverse the engine output rotation , and keep the stock drive train.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #86

The Yanmar that I found on Ebay is still available & might be a great deal for you. I know you're wanting more horsepower but this may be more in line with what you actually need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanmar-Mari...sid=m570.l1313
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #87
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Yanmar is the most affordable new engine that we have found, the 4JH80 model. To help make the decision would like an informal vote from the forum, scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best let us know your thoughts on purchasing this motor. Be brutally honest, we respect your opinion and knowledge. Thanks.

Can't speak to that motor, but my first choices in your situation would be:
1) rebuild your current engine, or barring that,
2) find a "factory remanufactured" (or similar) version of the same engine, or
3) pick a replacement that let's you use as much of the rest of the drive-train as possible, even motor mounts if possible...
4) whatever you have to do...

-Chris
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #88
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
The Yanmar that I found on Ebay is still available & might be a great deal for you. I know you're wanting more horsepower but this may be more in line with what you actually need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanmar-Mari...sid=m570.l1313

I’m a little confused by that listing. The Yanmar 4JH4 engine I had was rated at 56hp WITHOUT a turbo.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Many moons ago, Tad Roberts (naval architect who frequents this site) recommended Beta Marine if we ever wanted to repower our 30' Sundowner Tug.

The PO of our boat put in a 100hp Yanmar 4JH2-UTE and I believe it's too big. We usually run it at 2700rpm which is not much past half throttle, and the turbo doesn't really wind up till just below 1/2 throttle. This gives us 7 to eight knots depending on currents, etc, and uses about 1.3 gph. Adding throttle past that point does add speed but the arse end squats badly, the bow starts plowing a huge wake, and I imagine fuel consumption would increase quickly. It is maybe two/three inches from the forward bulkhead in the engine room.

If we ever repower it would probably be the Beta Marine naturally aspirated 75hp or the 85hp turbo...would have to research a bit.

I'm a letter carrier and can recognize the sweet, smooth running sound of a Kubota diesel engine in a backhoe doing work in someones yard from a street away
We have come to a decision on the engine were are using to repower our Sundowner. A 50 hp fully mechanical natural aspirated Beta Marine. We were set on a 75 hp Beta until the sales rep at Diesel Marine, Joe DeMar did lots of calculations on the size of the prop and matched a 50 hp to it. He explained he would be glad to sell a 75 hp then went on to say it is a waste of money and at max would only use 50 hp. The propeller cannot be changed to a larger.one because of its close proximity to the hull. Made a lot of sense plus it is $6000 less than a 75 hp. Total cost of engine under $13000 and we can use the existing prop. We have had the motor pulled, cleaning up and painting the ER and waiting a couple of weeks for delivery. All is good and it looks like the whole repower will run $16,000. We'll have a couple of boat drinks to that! Thanks to all for the great advice that was provided by the forum. Anyone need a blown 34 y.o Pathfinder!!! Lol!!!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #90

Quote:
We have come to a decision on the engine were are using to repower our Sundowner. A 50 hp fully mechanical natural aspirated Beta Marine. We were set on a 75 hp Beta until the sales rep at Diesel Marine, Joe DeMar did lots of calculations on the size of the prop and matched a 50 hp to it. He explained he would be glad to sell a 75 hp then went on to say it is a waste of money and at max would only use 50 hp. The propeller cannot be changed to a larger.one because of its close proximity to the hull. Made a lot of sense plus it is $6000 less than a 75 hp. Total cost of engine under $13000 and we can use the existing prop. We have had the motor pulled, cleaning up and painting the ER and waiting a couple of weeks for delivery. All is good and it looks like the whole repower will run $16,000. We'll have a couple of boat drinks to that! Thanks to all for the great advice that was provided by the forum. Anyone need a blown 34 y.o Pathfinder!!! Lol!!!
Glad Joe worked out. Please let him know that Carl Martin in Florida is still planning on getting the 35. Hope to get it done this fall.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #91
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
For what it is worth, Just spotted this on the Seattle Craigslist:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...665031958.html

http://www.hansautoparts.com/074103383MHeadGasket.aspx

{no idea if these numbers fit the situation}

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...4/lang/e#sec_9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/VW-Touareg-...037/bn_1283125

Here is a brand new engine. this may be the ticket!
need to convert to marine with your current parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-5-Cyli...-/232873224675
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #92

Will do.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
For what it is worth, Just spotted this on the Seattle Craigslist:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...665031958.html

http://www.hansautoparts.com/074103383MHeadGasket.aspx

{no idea if these numbers fit the situation}

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...4/lang/e#sec_9
Lol!!!! You got to be kidding, that's it!!! Boat drinks are kicking in!!!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #94
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Lol!!!! You got to be kidding, that's it!!! Boat drinks are kicking in!!!
Well, seeing as you have made a decision on the $13,000 investment, the advertisement for a replacement engine of your current make at under $4,000 fitting all the current aspects may well put a cork back into the money difference 'claret jug'!!

Al-Ketchikan
Old 08-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #95
Al
Guru

While on the West Coast and you are on the Gulf, here is an example of patience paying off were all the stars aligned,

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...666724534.html
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
While on the West Coast and you are on the Gulf, here is an example of patience paying off were all the stars aligned,

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...666724534.html
Wow, that looks like it might be a great deal!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #97

Quote:
Glad Joe worked out. Please let him know that Carl Martin in Florida is still planning on getting the 35. Hope to get it done this fall.
We put Mojo with her new 50 hp Beta Marine in the water two days ago, Wow! 7 knots at 2000 rpm, 1/2 throttle! What a huge difference from the previous 70 hp Pathfinder. Total cost approx. $17,000, includes mechanic, yard fee, and 2 new batteries. Completely reworked the boat, new hot water heater, new toilet, cleaned and repainted engine room, finally fixed all ceiling leaks, refinished all the teak and she is shining! Been a learning experience for sure but ended well! Feel like we have a brand new boat, now in the waning days of reasonable weather we are going to cruise every chance we get. Thanks to all for the input, the forum was full of excellent information.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #98
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Sounds great! Keep us posted as to rate of fuel burn once you empty the tanks a couple times
Old 10-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #99

Quote:
We put Mojo with her new 50 hp Beta Marine in the water two days ago, Wow! 7 knots at 2000 rpm, 1/2 throttle! What a huge difference from the previous 70 hp Pathfinder. Total cost approx. $17,000, includes mechanic, yard fee, and 2 new batteries. Completely reworked the boat, new hot water heater, new toilet, cleaned and repainted engine room, finally fixed all ceiling leaks, refinished all the teak and she is shining! Been a learning experience for sure but ended well! Feel like we have a brand new boat, now in the waning days of reasonable weather we are going to cruise every chance we get. Thanks to all for the input, the forum was full of excellent information.
That's awesome!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #100
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Wow! 7 knots at 2000 rpm, 1/2 throttle!
Took a peek at the fuel consumption curve on the Beta Marine website for the 50hp engine, and it appears it might be 3.8 litres an hour or so. What size propeller and shaft are you using?