Replacing Galley Blower Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceancrosser

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
DeFever 53 POC
Hello All,

First.. on the food chain of knowledge regarding electricity, I am the lowest form of life. I know TWO THINGS about electricity..

1. You can't see it and

2. it HURTS when you touch it.

With that said. I am wanting to replace the galley blower switch to "Look" like my other rocker light switches (AC Powered) in the galley. The current Blower switch is basically a small rocker style switch, it works but,
uniformity is nice.

I have looked in West Marine and they all have basically what I already have.

Here is the Darwin Award question... Can I use a simple two pole rocker switch from Lowes to replace my current switch?:confused:

Thanks for your help (be gentle)

Rusty

Posting a picture of your current switch would help.

L

getPart
getPart

Me thinks I may have answered my own question. After reading carefully the box that my switch came in, it says AC ONLY.

Looks like a road trip to my local West Marine for a solution.

All the best,

Rusty

I was going to ask AC or DC...sounds like DC, right?

Whoopsie, yes the "current" switch is DC.

Try some contact cleaner. If the switch is working intermittently, it could be just dirty contacts.

Attachments

• C9F19B2C-1947-4D92-9CFF-8ABDC8C60FA0.jpg
    C9F19B2C-1947-4D92-9CFF-8ABDC8C60FA0.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 35
Hi Larry,

The switch is working fine however I am trying to make all the switches in the galley look the same. The DC Blower switch is a small rocker style switch and all my AC switches are the standard rocker switches you see in your home.

I am off to West Marine this morning to see if I can find a solution.

Thanks for your help.

Rusty

Here is the Darwin Award question... Can I use a simple two pole rocker switch from Lowes to replace my current switch?:confused:

The switch from Lowe's will be AC rated. Your blower switch is likely DC. It will have a rating inscribed on the switch, but it doesn't necessarily follow that it's correct. Your galley blower is probably DC, and it's probably less than 10A DC. It likely also only switches the (+) leg, so it will be single pole. If the existing switch has two places to connect wires, it is a single pole. If it has 4 terminals, it's probably 2 pole. Poles refers to the switching action. The nomenclature is logical and standardized; instructive guides are readily available. It really helps if you use proper nomenclature when asking for a part. What you need is likely a single pole, single throw (SPST) switch, rated for DC volts and a higher amperage than your load. Once you determine exactly what the switch needs to do, then you can search for the configuration that will cosmetically match your application.

A pic of the existing would help. Look for the rating on the switch body. Worst Marine may have it, but a look at Pacer or similar marine electrical supply source might yield a better match.

It really helps if you use proper nomenclature when asking for a part. What you need is likely a single pole, single throw (SPST) switch, rated for DC volts and a higher amperage than your load. Once you determine exactly what the switch needs to do, then you can search for the configuration that will cosmetically match your application.
You have hit the nail on the head... my use of the wrong nomenclature in describing what is really a single pole, single throw switch was confusing, thus the preamble of my confession of electricity.

Thanks for your help, I truly appreciate the expert guidance this forum provides.

All the best,

Rusty

Rusty. Also check out RV sources for DC SPST switches.

Cole Hersey makes marine DC switches.

They have larger , plated contacts to handle the DC opening.

Change it once , should be a cheap upgrade.

Even Worst Marine stocks them.

Heavy Duty Switches and Electrical Products - Cole Hersee

colehersee.com.au/products/
Cole Hersee are recognised as the leading manufacturer of heavy duty battery master, ... Heavy Duty Switches and Electrical Products. Battery Master Switches.‎Solenoids · ‎Toggle Switches · ‎Battery Master Switches · ‎Connectors and Electrical

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom