Replacement Toilet Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally Posted by Jmreim
"Looking to replace a pump toilet on a 2003 Mariner Europa 34 with something more up-to-date and user-friendly. With so many different options, I'm interested in recommendations - trying to keep it simple. Thx! " You can't go wrong with the Raritan Elegance. With the control panel you have the option to add water only, flush only, plus 2 full flush choices. Raritan Elegance eliminates the need for vacuum pumps and tanks, foot pedals and other mechanical components. The flushing action is quiet very efficient using little water with all discharge components located within unit. We are most happy with our choice.

One more vote for the Marine Elegance. We installed two of them, along with a Purasan, following the inestimable Peggie’s advice. It’s simply some of the best equipment on the boat.

Add another vote for the marine elegance. I went with the fresh water flush household size bowl with multi flush option switch. Never has been “going” on the boat a more pleasant experience.

In the two-head boat, we had a Raritan PHII electric aft which went for many years with the occasional rebuild kit. Forward, we had a straight manual GROCO KH in case the aft head failed. This boat came with a Vacuflush which was a bit of labor to ferret out the vacuum leak I inherited, but it is actually quite simple and has given no further trouble for several years. I cannot say what I would chose if I were replacing it now, but the idea of the simple manual Groco might figure prominently for a single-head boat.

Peggie,

Do you have a go to person at Raritan that I could talk to about installing a new Marine Elegance head. I need to bring the pressure water hose and the discharge hose through the back of the head instead of through the deck and I need to find out how to do it and what parts are needed.

Peggy, what's your recommend on non-electric head, I have a raritan already so the second head I prefer manual

Peggie,

Do you have a go to person at Raritan that I could talk to about installing a new Marine Elegance head. I need to bring the pressure water hose and the discharge hose through the back of the head instead of through the deck and I need to find out how to do it and what parts are needed.

Dave, the ME installation manual is online. Since the back of the head is open, I don’t see why the lines couldn’t be routed that way. (But I’d still verify with Raritan and Peggie).

http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/L490v0513-Marine-Elegance-Manual.pdf

I think that there is an adapter to run the discharge hose out the back, but the manual didn’t, I think, say anything about the inlet hose. I just thought maybe Peggie had someone there that could brief me on it.

I'm planning on removing my Raritan Crowns this winter, replacing them with Sea Era's. The upgrade is cost-effective using the Crown bowels, and changing to fresh water is attractive, odor-wise. Peggie has been very helpful scoping out this job.

I can't believe that no one appreciated your pun! :socool:

TMC electric
If it has problems, change your diet and increase your water intake.
Skidmarks? Use a bum gun.

I too vote for the Raritan Elegance head. I made my choice some years ago based on a comparative trial done on "Practical Sailor Magazine". The only magazine that does not accept ANY advertising. The Raritan products all rated very well, but the Elegance version achieved the "ripe banana test" (you can imagine what this was an exemplar for) the best of all. I installed two of them, and they have been bullet proof.

They used to have a sister publication, Powerboat Reports that was great but unfortunately went out of business.

Put in two Raritan Elegance in several years ago fed by fresh water. Couldn't be happier with the heads! It's all tied into a Purasan Sanitation System, or can be directed to the holding tank. Have had problems with Purasan though. But if you are going to just run it straight to the holding tank, you should no regrets with the Elegance. When you press one of the four function buttons, you know immediately that this head means business.

Not to be contrary, but we installed two Vacuflush systems in Blue Sky in 2013 and they have worked perfectly ever since. On the rare occasion where they clog due to unusually large masses presented to them, they are very easy to unclog. And a fleeting lift up on the pedal wets the bowl for the solid stuff.

On the rare occasion where they clog due to unusually large masses presented to them, they are very easy to unclog. And a fleeting lift up on the pedal wets the bowl for the solid stuff.

Just wetting the bowl may be the reason for the occasional clog. There needs to be enough water in the bowl--1/3-1/2 full depending on volume--to carry the solids and TP through the duckbills and pump instead of leaving it splattered all over the inside of the hoses.

--Peggie

Again, I ask how many threads do we see on Vacuflush problems compared to how many on Marine Elegance problems? There is usually a thread going on Vacuflush problems.

Peggy, your a mine of information, great practical advice as always, thank you.
For logistical reasons (were in Europe) we bought 2 straight back, full size electric flush toilets from a German company SVB 24, which entailed some fitting modifications :-( .
We spoke to Parks but the shipping costs made it impractical.
About a month after we fitted them they came out with and angle back :facepalm: which would have saved us a lot of work.
The reason we fitted full size wipe clean electric was for hygiene and as we get older pumping a toilet can be uncomfortable on the shoulder muscles, either that or we'd gotten too darn lazy.

On the rare occasion where they clog due to unusually large masses presented to them, they are very easy to unclog. And a fleeting lift up on the pedal wets the bowl for the solid stuff.

Just wetting the bowl may be the reason for the occasional clog. There needs to be enough water in the bowl--1/3-1/2 full depending on volume--to carry the solids and TP through the duckbills and pump instead of leaving it splattered all over the inside of the hoses.

--Peggie

I should have clarified that there is already water in the bowl; the extra shot is just to wet the sides of the bowl above the sitting water.

Again, I ask how many threads do we see on Vacuflush problems compared to how many on Marine Elegance problems? There is usually a thread going on Vacuflush problems.

I would say the most voluminous thread in VF threads is the vacuum leak issue causing the vacuum pump to cycle too frequently or continuously, but even while sorting out the leak in the new-to-me 10-year old VF, it was useable via the breaker switch. Compared to what I see in the Elegance head literature, the Vacuflush is much simpler; and simple aboard heads in boats is always good IMHO. Another common theme running through the VF threads is that once up and running properly, they are quite dependable for very long periods of time. I certainly like the concept of vacuum waste removal over macerator style and am going on four years issue free, certainly light years ahead of the Groco manual and the PH II electric I had on the trawler. However, overall, comparing the two units is to me like comparing a Camaro and a Mustang.

rgano "Compared to what I see in the Elegance head literature, the Vacuflush is much simpler" ...How so?

I estimate that at least 75% of the potty problems I've seen online over the years--and I've seen a lot of 'em!--are VF issues...at least 95% of which can be laid at the owner's/user's feet, mostly caused by using too little flush water and never rinsing out the system, but also because they may think they know how it works, but don't. An amazing number think the holding tank is part of the VF system, so they tear into the VF plumbing trying to solve a problem that's actually caused by a blocked tank--HOLDING tank, not vacuum tank--vent...creating new problems 'cuz almost no one thinks to consult the troubleshooting guide in the owners manual before doing anything.

It's the reason I wrote my "VacuFlush 101" piece, which I'm glad to send to anyone who wants it--and a bunch of you have accepted that offer-- if you'll send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM).

--Peggie

I would say the most voluminous thread in VF threads is the vacuum leak issue causing the vacuum pump to cycle too frequently or continuously, but even while sorting out the leak in the new-to-me 10-year old VF, it was useable via the breaker switch. Compared to what I see in the Elegance head literature, the Vacuflush is much simpler; and simple aboard heads in boats is always good IMHO. Another common theme running through the VF threads is that once up and running properly, they are quite dependable for very long periods of time. I certainly like the concept of vacuum waste removal over macerator style and am going on four years issue free, certainly light years ahead of the Groco manual and the PH II electric I had on the trawler. However, overall, comparing the two units is to me like comparing a Camaro and a Mustang.

Cannot agree, good sir! I've torn into both, and the Elegance is much simpler, both parts wise and logistically- remove the toilet from its bracket, and there is access to all.

No going below decks to chase a vacuum leak.

The Elegance doesn’t have the whole vacuum system to deal with and to take up space. You have a toilet and a waste hose to the holding tank and the Vacuflush also has the hose along with a vacuum generator and all the extra stuff. How can it be simpler than a Marine Elegance? Not possible.

So I’m sold on the Raritan Elegance with the great switch panel. Just unsure of which one is the easiest replacement for my existing Raritan raw water pump toilet. I understand there are a number of different configurations, depending on the existing toilet installation. Here are some pics - might you be able to determine specifically what I need(or prompt me with the right questions to answer)?
Thx!

a7de0d2b-479a-4e8f-ae3c-54a3c6c438e7.SEJWr

94dc741e-28e3-4f74-bc13-232bf1810bd8.SEAp4

18ba4799-aeb8-4f13-b4f3-b5db8e8cf1a2.SEVo3

Ugh - not very good at attaching images - here’s another try:

SEVo3

SEAp4

SEJWr

I give up!!!!!

I just removed the aft head the other day in preparation for this winter when I will install the Marine Elegance. Can’t wait this year to get hauled so I can start with all my projects.

That's ok, I don't need pictures....

Short if the toilet sits on raised ledge or platform, tall if it sits on a level "floor." Straight back if the back will be against a vertical bulkhead, slanted back if it will back up to a hull that slants toward the keel.

If it'll sit on a platform, measure the distance from the front of the PEDESTAL to the back of the toilet to make sure the platform is long enough front-back for the entire pedestal to sit on it. If if overhangs, a 1" thick board (nicely finished of course) securely attached to the platform can solve that problem.

Wiring it correctly is critical, and since you're upgrading from a manual toilet, it'll be necessary to run at least one new dedicated circuit for it....so I strongly recommend that you pay a certified marine electrician to do that much. Plumbing it is an easy DIY job.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I am going to replace all of the wiring for the head and go one size larger than required. Cheap to do and certainly won’t hurt having really good voltage.

Back
Top Bottom