Repairing the ceiling fabric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
The fabric on the ceiling of my Island Gypsy 32 is ripped and I'm not sure what to mend it with. I can't glue it back together because it's formed a hole. Here's a photo of the ceiling fabric. I can try stuffing the hole with something before I fix it.

No photo.

Greetings,
Mr jw. Of course there's a photo. It's a hole.
oya1.gif

Greetings,
Mr jw. Of course there's a photo. It's a hole

Well . . . yeah. Maybe. Hopefully not one of those black holes, though, since then there might be worse problems. (You never fail me, RT -- you have a free beer coming up if we ever meet).

I don't know IG's that well, but the rubbery, canvassy, textured ceiling and wall coverings similar to what was installed in Taiwanese trawlers is available at the larger marine stores such as Defender. Tough to match online. You would need to go there in person.

Heating with a hair drier and stretching may help fill small holes.

My 83 IG32 has the fabric headliner--It is pretty easy to rip now being so old I guess it has lost some strength. I tore it once was able to cut it to form an L shape, then fold it back and glue a backing piece inside the damaged area. Then letting the flap close back into the glue---I think I used a thin coat of 5200-- It came out pretty good but I don't have any pictures right now.

When I first got the boat I was trying to find out why a small round dome light behind the helm area did not work. The bulb looked good but then I took the screws out holding it up and there were no wires, the light was a dummy to cover a hole in the headliner. The light is still there 4 years later--does not work but no one even notices it.

My 2cents JohnP

Try another photo and also of the overall ceiling.
Some boats have removable panels held in place by batten strips and screws.

If so then that panel could be removed and the damaged area dealt with with a piece of material glued in behind and the hole edges then glued to the backing piece. Perfect, NO, but likely a whole lot less noticable than the hole.

If panels are not removeable then maybe the same technique can be used through the hole.

At least you will gain some time to research a proper repair/replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom