Old 10-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #141
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
As a quick follow-up on this subject. After running 3300 miles up and down the Inside passage this past summer, the old style packing performed very well. Only had to adjust once. The port side is starting to leak and it has the G-packing in it too I would suspect. I'll be pulling the boat in March and will re-pack it with the old style packing.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #142
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
As a quick follow-up on this subject. After running 3300 miles up and down the Inside passage this past summer, the old style packing performed very well. Only had to adjust once. The port side is starting to leak and it has the G-packing in it too I would suspect. I'll be pulling the boat in March and will re-pack it with the old style packing.
Why?

Just repack it with GFO and forget it for a few years or more.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #143
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Why?

Just repack it with GFO and forget it for a few years or more.
Well I should have done both sides last year and didn't. Goes on the to-do list
Old 10-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #144
Veteran Member

City: Northwest Basin, Penetanguishene, ON.
Vessel Name: WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Model: 1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
repack
2dboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #145
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I have terrible access to my rudder posts and after fighting them for years installed PSS dripless seals. I'm completely happy with them, and with the same seals on my drive shafts. The failure mode on dripless seals is usually heat which isn't an issue for rudders.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #146
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Dripless is great. But install them when you are already going to pull and check your shaft(s) anyway. Makes you feel better about the cost. Make sure you install engine water feed to cool/lube them. Make sure proper fittings are used. Understand how they work and in the case of PSS, the correct way to clean the surface annually to keep the drips at bay.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #147
Guru

City: Northport
"The failure mode on dripless seals is usually heat which isn't an issue for rudders."

- or fatigue
- or contamination
- or a strike on the propeller or rudder
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #148
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
There is a lot of good advice on how to repack the packing gland. The only additional suggestion I have is that I take the plastic bag that cleaners use to return your shirts in, and as I draw back the packing nut I immediately wrap the shaft log with the plastic bag and then take some light twine to tie it up and the water inflow generally stops or goes to a mere trickle. Then you can take out the old flax or just add new or whatever you have decided to do for your "repack" without getting anxious about the inflow of water. You will have a lot less stress, particularly if its your first time changing the packing while in the water. Beside the cleaner's plastic bag that I use, probably kitchen plastic wrap would work as well. After the packing nut is ready just take off the plastic and re-thread your nut back on the shaft and you are finished.

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #149

Repack. Modern synthetic materials last indefinitely.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #150
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
OK I am now convinced to repack. Should I seek out a yard to pull me out and repack it or have someone come to the boat and repack while in the water?
It depends on the cost. I suspect it would be less expensive to have a pro do it in the water than to have the boat hauled, but you should get prices for each and then decide.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It depends on the cost. I suspect it would be less expensive to have a pro do it in the water than to have the boat hauled, but you should get prices for each and then decide.
No one would come to the boat, so I pulled the boat and replaced it. Easy job. It was my annual maintenance haul out anyway so no worries
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #152

City: Compton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
If the adjustment is just about bottomed out, why not just add another ring and snug back up? Approximately 70% of the sealing comes from the two rings closest to the gland follower anyways. The bottom rings are more or less spacers as they see very little compression.

Use a square braided yarn made of GFO or ePTFE.
This is the way I do it and have for years. Just pre-cut your packing rings and stagger the the cut points so no two line up. I am not a fan of drip-less packing glands. If you have a drip-less packing gland and it starts to leak, you are SOL. If your old packing leaks, just tighten it so you get just a few drips per minute through the gland. The drips help keep your packing lubed and cool as you use it. Remember some times the old ways are the best ways. HTH JD
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #153
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Using GFO is the best, most durable, worry free, cheapest and easiest solution.
Keeps your original hardware, and can pack it without hauling the hull, and don't need to have water injection or mechanics install, time and labor add up.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote