Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Rental?

I am interested in knowing if anyone knows of any trawler style rentals for 2 or 3 day periods. I am trying to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it would be like to live aboard. We will not take the boat out. We just want to stay on board at a marina in the St. Pete. or Bradenton area of Fl. Our next step would be to charter down the road but for now we just want to see about staying for a couple of nights on board in a marina. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thank you.
__________________
Advertisement

swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,874
Southwest Florida Yachts in Cape Coral has a fleet of Mainships, Grand Banks, etc that would work for you. But do take it out for at least a day or "cocktail" cruise. They can supply an instructor/captain if necessary.

David
__________________

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
Closer to home are Jung Charters and Chitwood Charters in Sarasota. Grand Banks mostly, Chitwood usually has a Selene or two. I have happily rented from both.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Closer to home are Jung Charters and Chitwood Charters in Sarasota. Grand Banks mostly, Chitwood usually has a Selene or two. I have happily rented from both.
Thank you. I have looked at both of these and it seems they are used to actually take the boat out. For now I am looking at just staying at the dock to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it might be like without spending a lot of money on a charter. Once I get them on for a weekend at the dock I am sure they will be up for a charter.
My goal is to show them what it can be like, get a trawler and go cruising with the longer term goal to live aboard. (maybe sooner if things work out). Thank you for your imput.
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgatr View Post
I am interested in knowing if anyone knows of any trawler style rentals for 2 or 3 day periods. I am trying to give my wife and daughter a taste of what it would be like to live aboard. We will not take the boat out. We just want to stay on board at a marina in the St. Pete. or Bradenton area of Fl. Our next step would be to charter down the road but for now we just want to see about staying for a couple of nights on board in a marina. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thank you.
I just emailed them with a modified request on staying on board. Will let you know what they say. I think I will also contact Jung and Chitwood to and see what they say. Thank you
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgatr View Post
I just emailed them with a modified request on staying on board. Will let you know what they say. I think I will also contact Jung and Chitwood to and see what they say. Thank you
I cant imagine any charterer saying no to that unless no boats were available. Enjoy the stay!
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,874
Don't rent from an individual boat owner willing to rent their boat to you as long as you stay at the dock.

As soon as money changes hands it becomes commercial use and there will be no insurance coverage as all recreational boat insurance policies exclude losses due to commercial use. So if you leave a burner on the stove and burn down the boat, YOU will be liable.

Whether a commercial chartering company would be willing to give you a special deal if you didn't leave the dock is another question. Ask.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Don't rent from an individual boat owner willing to rent their boat to you as long as you stay at the dock.

As soon as money changes hands it becomes commercial use and there will be no insurance coverage as all recreational boat insurance policies exclude losses due to commercial use. So if you leave a burner on the stove and burn down the boat, YOU will be liable.

Whether a commercial chartering company would be willing to give you a special deal if you didn't leave the dock is another question. Ask.

David
Thank you. Did not even consider that. This Is just one more example of how great This site is and the people on it. Thank you
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,994
Greetings,
Mr. sg. Welcome aboard. Hmmm....Wife and daughter for 2 or 3 days eh? Rent a BIG one....
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. sg. Welcome aboard. Hmmm....Wife and daughter for 2 or 3 days eh? Rent a BIG one....
Would like to be in the 40-48 foot range when I eventually buy. But for the weekend will try a 36 just to see how the space is and see just what we can and cannot do.
Thanks
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Toolbuddie's Avatar
 
City: Huntsville, AL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 186
Swampgatr, Consider what was suggested by RT above. For some, sitting in the marina would be reason to Not want to be on a boat at all. For some the marina would be the only reason to be on a boat. For most of the boat owners we know cruising out seeing the sun rise/set from a great anchorage, the incredible night sky away from the light pollution of the cities is what brings the good feelings of freedom, solitude and comfort to their lives. The adventure of new places new people to share stories with is so much more fun than the same old dock mates every day. You will do what you think is best for your situation and family.

On the thought of a 36 to see if you all will like it may be false experience if you really intend to go to 48. Just a thought. Don't "shoot yourself in the foot" so to speak.
Footnote we started Cruising with a 28 foot carver and loved for 5 years. Started shopping after the first year and in doing so learned what WE would need to increase comfort and fun. We shopped for about 4 years then found what we learned we wanted. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.
Welcome Aboard and good luck with your plans.
Toolbuddie.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: Baltimore
Country: us
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 305
Cloud Nine created by Cloud Nine Trawler Charters

I have no vested interest in them but a guy i know used them awhile ago.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,605
For someone who hasn't spent time on a boat I think spending a night or two on board even in a marina would be fun. Explore the boat, walk around the marina, chat with boaters then sunset drinks on the FB (sorry Mark) or on the deck followed by dinner on board or nearby restaurant would be fine, and maybe whet the appetite for more boating.
Good luck! Try to do it when the weather is nice you don't want to be cooped up inside the whole time.
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Steve that is what really gave us the itch to pursue this hobby. We stayed aboard a 30 sailboat for the night on the dock at Santa Cruz harbor several years ago. Reasonably cheap nights lodging and we liked it much more than our normal Best Western motel room.
__________________

__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012