Renaming The Boat And Shadows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are replacing the current boat name - Bagheera, with our own name - Sonas.

The yard has told us that they have removed some of the lettering and that there is some shadowing that could be diminished by buffing and re-waxing. But that the shadowing may very well come back later.

Their recommendation is that they sand the stern back and paint it, matching the gelcoat color. Then apply the new name.

I am a bit wary here. This will be the only part of the boat that is painted. And I feel that once you paint you will have to keep painting. Plus it is quite expensive (1600 before the actual name application).

Has anyone dealt with this?

Thoughts?

I would either buff rewax and deal with it down the road if your not happy with it, or spay gelcoat and buff it.

I prefer paint, but would rather have all gelcoat than a mix of paint and gelcoat.

Ted

Last edited:
Do your new name and graphics sufficiently cover the footprint of the remaining shadow? If so, repainting may not be needed. I'm with OCD...give it a try and see how it looks. It can easily be changed at your convenience down the road.

If money's no object, disregard everything I just said.

Do your new name and graphics sufficiently cover the footprint of the remaining shadow? If so, repainting may not be needed. I'm with OCD...give it a try and see how it looks. It can easily be changed at your convenience down the road.

If money's no object, disregard everything I just said.

BAGHEERA vs SONAS.

So no.

Just add some fancy graphics! I'm sure healhustler could help if you need a creative nudge.

We ran into this with our current boat. The boat was name Sally Marie and had a simply atrocious graphic of a mermaid on either side of the bow. The boat was a SoCal boat that was 5 years old so when I removed the graphics and vinyl lettering, there was significant ghosting on the bow where the graphic was and the sides of the hull where the name was.

The gelcoat was very oxidized and I paid someone to compound, buff, and wax it. I then spent additional time going over the areas where the ghosting was. I placed the current name "Legacy" over where the prior name was and the ghosting really became very hard to see. The ghosting of the mermaid graphic can still be seen under the right lighting conditions. In short, it hasn't been an issue.

What was/is an issue is that the name was also put on the either side of the boom. The ghosting in the anodized boom is such that no amount of work with metal polishing compound has been able to eliminate it. But once again, it is hard to notice since I put the current name in the same spot.

I would compound, buff and wax, and then apply the new name. I don't think it will be a problem. If it is down the road, then you can always remove the vinyl lettering have it painted, then put new lettering on. Lettering is cheap.

You could always put something on the transom or swimstep to distract the eye from the ghosting.

Attachments

• FlyWright net.jpg
    FlyWright net.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 142
Al-is that something you got from Parks' store? If so I want one!

I would go with compounding and buffing initially. On my boat the gelcoat was slightly raised after the vinyl from the previous name was removed due to buffing for many years over the old name. But I really don't notice it now.

If you make SONAS lettering in a larger font it could well cover the footprint of the old name.

Folks we are going with hand applied 24ct gold leaf, not vinyl.

(I know, I know)

You could always put something on the transom or swimstep to distract the eye from the ghosting.

Al,

If you had one of those vehicle wrap guys make one that looked like you had a loaded swim platform, I'll bet there would be lots of rubbernecking...

Sand and respray with gelcoat. Not sure I would want to apply anything to paint that hasn't had a month to cure. Gelcoat will be cured very quickly.

Ted

Why not add a filigree on each end of the new boat name to add a little length... Might take a little extra gold though.

Stu

We are going to add a shamrock to one side.

Just spoke with the guy who is doing the name (separate from the yard). He advised not to paint. To let him sand the whole transome back paying special attention to the old letter spots, apply the name and put multiple coats of polyurethane on top of the complete transom.
Because the "shadowing" is actually an inverse shadow (brighter gelcoat because it has been protected from the sun), he believe eventually the sun will make any difference immaterial.

So we will see.

And an update. The yard just called.

Their paint guy spoke to my sign guy and they came up with a "bundled cost" of taking the transom right back and painting it before the name goes on. With the aim of "sending me out very happy with the end product."

So painting it it is.

Graphic, the final will be a bit thicker with a black outline. With a green shamrock top right.

Attachments

• Sonas4.jpg
    Sonas4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 84
Very nice. I can see why you have a concern about the shadowing.

Not to superstitious or anything, but:

May I suggest you follow the below to "de-name" your vessel and to "re-name" your vessel. This is a very very important part of your boat. Just say'in

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

I would go with compounding and buffing initially. On my boat the gelcoat was slightly raised after the vinyl from the previous name was removed due to buffing for many years over the old name.

Mine was like that also. As part of my current full hull paint (Being sprayed today!), the Painter sprayed a high build undercoat finish on the stern (not sure what it was but it was different from the rest of of the normal primer spray) then sanded smooth eliminating all raised shadowing..

She is named!

Attachments

• Sonas Transom.jpg
    Sonas Transom.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
Very Nice! Congratulations.

Kevin

We are replacing the current boat name - Bagheera, with our own name - Sonas.

The yard has told us that they have removed some of the lettering and that there is some shadowing that could be diminished by buffing and re-waxing. But that the shadowing may very well come back later.

Their recommendation is that they sand the stern back and paint it, matching the gelcoat color. Then apply the new name.

Has anyone dealt with this? Thoughts?

Yes... repainting unless you can custom match the gelcoat exactly may not be a match for it. Had a similar situation on a 34' SeaRay, painted name much longer than the one we'd chosen...the pro painter told me how to remove it (how does it, but easy enough for an competent owner to do and save the cost) and get rid of its ghost...and it worked perfectly. Do NOT use this method on a painted hull, ONLY on gelcoat.

Tools needed: Easy Off oven cleaner (oven cleaners dissolve grease and oil including oil paint), metal spatula, bronze (NOT steel!) wool and a water hose. And maybe a cold beer or two:

Directions:
Spray a good coat of Easy Off onto just a couple of letters at a time...no more 'cuz you don't want the letters at the end to dry before you can get to 'em. Wait 5 minutes (now you know why I suggested your "tools" include a beer or two), scrape with spatula. If you used enough and waited long enough, you should get at least 95% of the paint off. Spray again, plus the next letter or two...wait 5, use bronze wool to remove the last of the paint on the first letters, spatula on the next two. Hose off as needed. Repeat and then touch up until you've removed the entire name, then wash the whle area very thoroughly with detergent and water, rinsing very thoroughly. Shouldn't take much more than an hour once you get the hang of it...that's about how long it took me to remove "Casey Leigh II" spread all the away across a 12' transom in 8" script and "Lawrenceville GA" in smaller block letters beneath it.

Now for the ghost: This may take more time than you want to spend with a no-name boat, but you can always put the name on a board and hang it somewhere else...temporarily or permanently. Park the boat where it can spend the most hours--preferably afternoon--with its transom presented to the sun. Spray repeatedly--several times a day if possible--with undiluted bleach. This will cause the gelcoat that hadn't faded because it was hidden under the lettering to fade out to match the surrounding gelcoat almost completely in 2-3 weeks at most. Now you can put a new name on. Within a couple of months, normal oxidation will remove the last of the ghost--which was only visible from just the right angle--completely.

It used to be that a lot of people knew how to do this, but not so many any more since decals have pretty much replaced painted names altogether.

Menzies,
Your new name looks great. I just went through the same thing on my boat down in La Paz, BCS. The former name was Godzilla, and when I removed the lettering there was visible shading. I cleaned and buffed as well as I could, and then applied my new vinyl lettering (Harmony) over the old area. At first you could still see the shadowing, but I swear after several days of Mexican sun, it mostly disappeared.

Now the un-naming and re-naming ceremonies were great fun, and I was joined by about 10 friends who made sure I was doing it right. Lots of booze was poured into the sea and into the Captain and guests. A great time was had by all, which is the point, after all. Feel free to check it out at: bajaharmony.net.

Your end result is beautiful.

Cheers, Bill

Very nice but I think the shadowing problem may be your least problem. As mentioned by Alaskan Sea-Duction the renaming process is a safety issue. While your selection of the proper renaming process may work you will note some warnings that are issued in the process that Alaskan Sea-Duction provided. Namely, well not namely really is the well known and required action of never ever placing anything with the new name on the boat until the ceremony has been completed. More detail and investigation should have been performed prior to painting the name. Best of Luck anyway.

I've been told that inviting all your dockmates/friends to come out and form a big circle into which each vessel will toss whatever you deem to be an appropriate sacrifice to Neptune and any other gods of the sea (sacrificing a virgin may result in your circle being surrounded by law enforcement vessels). After saying incantations that effectively hold a funeral for the old name and ordain the new one, everyone toasts the gods and toss them a small libation...then you break up the circle by backing every boat up at least 20 yards while the gods are enjoying their drinks...and then go raft up and party down!

I can't swear that this works, but no boat I've known who's done this has ever sunk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom