Old 03-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I would go with compounding and buffing initially. On my boat the gelcoat was slightly raised after the vinyl from the previous name was removed due to buffing for many years over the old name.
Mine was like that also. As part of my current full hull paint (Being sprayed today!), the Painter sprayed a high build undercoat finish on the stern (not sure what it was but it was different from the rest of of the normal primer spray) then sanded smooth eliminating all raised shadowing..

Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
She is named!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonas Transom.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	50027  

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #23

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Very Nice! Congratulations.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We are replacing the current boat name - Bagheera, with our own name - Sonas.

The yard has told us that they have removed some of the lettering and that there is some shadowing that could be diminished by buffing and re-waxing. But that the shadowing may very well come back later.

Their recommendation is that they sand the stern back and paint it, matching the gelcoat color. Then apply the new name.

Has anyone dealt with this? Thoughts?
Yes... repainting unless you can custom match the gelcoat exactly may not be a match for it. Had a similar situation on a 34' SeaRay, painted name much longer than the one we'd chosen...the pro painter told me how to remove it (how does it, but easy enough for an competent owner to do and save the cost) and get rid of its ghost...and it worked perfectly. Do NOT use this method on a painted hull, ONLY on gelcoat.

Tools needed: Easy Off oven cleaner (oven cleaners dissolve grease and oil including oil paint), metal spatula, bronze (NOT steel!) wool and a water hose. And maybe a cold beer or two:

Directions:
Spray a good coat of Easy Off onto just a couple of letters at a time...no more 'cuz you don't want the letters at the end to dry before you can get to 'em. Wait 5 minutes (now you know why I suggested your "tools" include a beer or two), scrape with spatula. If you used enough and waited long enough, you should get at least 95% of the paint off. Spray again, plus the next letter or two...wait 5, use bronze wool to remove the last of the paint on the first letters, spatula on the next two. Hose off as needed. Repeat and then touch up until you've removed the entire name, then wash the whle area very thoroughly with detergent and water, rinsing very thoroughly. Shouldn't take much more than an hour once you get the hang of it...that's about how long it took me to remove "Casey Leigh II" spread all the away across a 12' transom in 8" script and "Lawrenceville GA" in smaller block letters beneath it.

Now for the ghost: This may take more time than you want to spend with a no-name boat, but you can always put the name on a board and hang it somewhere else...temporarily or permanently. Park the boat where it can spend the most hours--preferably afternoon--with its transom presented to the sun. Spray repeatedly--several times a day if possible--with undiluted bleach. This will cause the gelcoat that hadn't faded because it was hidden under the lettering to fade out to match the surrounding gelcoat almost completely in 2-3 weeks at most. Now you can put a new name on. Within a couple of months, normal oxidation will remove the last of the ghost--which was only visible from just the right angle--completely.

It used to be that a lot of people knew how to do this, but not so many any more since decals have pretty much replaced painted names altogether.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Awesome
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #26

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Menzies,
Your new name looks great. I just went through the same thing on my boat down in La Paz, BCS. The former name was Godzilla, and when I removed the lettering there was visible shading. I cleaned and buffed as well as I could, and then applied my new vinyl lettering (Harmony) over the old area. At first you could still see the shadowing, but I swear after several days of Mexican sun, it mostly disappeared.

Now the un-naming and re-naming ceremonies were great fun, and I was joined by about 10 friends who made sure I was doing it right. Lots of booze was poured into the sea and into the Captain and guests. A great time was had by all, which is the point, after all. Feel free to check it out at: bajaharmony.net.

Your end result is beautiful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Very nice but I think the shadowing problem may be your least problem. As mentioned by Alaskan Sea-Duction the renaming process is a safety issue. While your selection of the proper renaming process may work you will note some warnings that are issued in the process that Alaskan Sea-Duction provided. Namely, well not namely really is the well known and required action of never ever placing anything with the new name on the boat until the ceremony has been completed. More detail and investigation should have been performed prior to painting the name. Best of Luck anyway.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #28
Guru

Debbie Downer!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: AR
I've been told that inviting all your dockmates/friends to come out and form a big circle into which each vessel will toss whatever you deem to be an appropriate sacrifice to Neptune and any other gods of the sea (sacrificing a virgin may result in your circle being surrounded by law enforcement vessels). After saying incantations that effectively hold a funeral for the old name and ordain the new one, everyone toasts the gods and toss them a small libation...then you break up the circle by backing every boat up at least 20 yards while the gods are enjoying their drinks...and then go raft up and party down!

I can't swear that this works, but no boat I've known who's done this has ever sunk.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #30
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Folks we are going with hand applied 24ct gold leaf, not vinyl.
BTW, where are you docked?? And no, that's not a scraper and small bucket in my hand
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
BTW, where are you docked?? And no, that's not a scraper and small bucket in my hand
The scraper and bucket would probably cost more than the gold leaf! It's not very expensive stuff.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #32

City: Stratford
Vessel Name: Yankee
Vessel Model: Duffy 35

Well Said, once youpaint you will always be painting. I am on my third Awlgrip painted Vessel. Ifyou scratch it, it is very hard to repair. Nice thing is that it holds a shinefor multiple seasons. And it can be buffed. Just Like an operation, Do whateveryou can before agreeing to operate.
I hope the gelcote will buff out

Yankee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I've been told that inviting all your dockmates/friends to come out and form a big circle into which each vessel will toss whatever you deem to be an appropriate sacrifice to Neptune and any other gods of the sea (sacrificing a virgin may result in your circle being surrounded by law enforcement vessels). After saying incantations that effectively hold a funeral for the old name and ordain the new one, everyone toasts the gods and toss them a small libation...then you break up the circle by backing every boat up at least 20 yards while the gods are enjoying their drinks...and then go raft up and party down!

I can't swear that this works, but no boat I've known who's done this has ever sunk.
Or just do what we have done for the last four big boats we have owned..

Just rename the thing and skip all the superstitious crap..

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

Hollywood
Our sentiments as well, however it is an excuse for a party out back!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

Hollywood
Oh thou have little faith! Bad juju, very bad juju will occur is you do not perform the proper ceremony and BTW is a LOT of fun!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Oh thou have little faith! Bad juju, very bad juju will occur is you do not perform the proper ceremony and BTW is a LOT of fun!
We did 10,000 miles offshore on one boat without problems, no issues on the others for that matter... besides if I had a big party I will have to share all my booze with the guests.
And since the current boat has a delta anchor, a flybridge, is cruised around underloaded most of the time ...and has teak decks the topic of conversation would never get around to the re naming if I invited trawler forum members to the party.

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Bad Juju indeed. If you do not perform the ceremony I have heard from a very reliable TF member that you will be cursed with having to cruise around under loaded with a Delta anchor, teak decks and a flybridge. Don't let it happen to you, perform the proper ceremony.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #38

City: Sarasota
Vessel Name: Rosalita
Vessel Model: 1982 Marine Trader Classic
Had the same problem. Used a few Mr Clean Magic Erasers to remove the "shadow", then compound, buff, was. Worked for me.
RonSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #39

City: Stratford
Vessel Name: Yankee
Vessel Model: Duffy 35
Yesterday I removed some faint shadows of letters on my paint. My paint is Awlgrip. I could still read the Port of call on the stern. I used Fines-sit II and a 6.5" black foam pad. 2,000 RPM orbiting buffer. It worked very well
Yankee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Bad Juju indeed. If you do not perform the ceremony I have heard from a very reliable TF member that you will be cursed with having to cruise around under loaded with a Delta anchor, teak decks and a flybridge. Don't let it happen to you, perform the proper ceremony.
We did it correctly, that is, with ceremony but sans Delta, teak, or flybridge.