Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Tony, you will not believe this, but I think I helped build that dock back in the 1950s. ...
Don that is SO AWESOME. what a great story.

Here's a random photo of the slough we anchored in for Memorial Day weekend. No sunset or sunrise or wild critters or even a boat. just flat water and greenry. It was a very peaceful long weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
2012-05-26 09.48.01.jpg  
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #82
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Tony, you will not believe this, but I think I helped build that dock back in the 1950s. An Uncle and Aunt owned that property. They built a cabin back in the woods. I was a kid and helped them work on it on the weekends. We built the dock during winter at low water. We used a farm tractor to pull the stumps out of the lake to clear the swimming area. Sometimes after a little dynamite pursuasion. Then dug the posts in for the dock. We would swim across the slough. I don't have a clue who owns the cabin now. The Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin have all passed away. Lot's of memories there.

I have my Blackfin apart working on it. When I get around to getting it back together, I will run it up to see your new boat.

Watch out for hanging your anchor on a stump.
Don, somehow missed seeing your post quoted above until now but how is this possible? I thought you were only 29?!

That's got to be the same dock. Funny thing- earlier this summer we went over there and there were a bunch of people gathered around a campfire hanging out. I had always assumed it was part of the state park since, well, it's all within the state park land there! So we hop over with the dog in the dinghy, tie up, walk over and just started chatting away with them. I then found out it was their dock. They said their family had built it many years ago and he now owned the cabin that was associated with the dock. He said they pretty much were claiming squatters rights for the dock at this point even if it is on park land.
Anyway- family I was talking to said their grandparents had built the cabin and dock some many years ago and that the cabin had been in their family for generations and they came up for summer vacations. They told us we could use the dock any time and we had a good time visiting with them for a bit. They recognized our boat as always being anchored out there and they keep their ski boats in dry stack at Island Cove. small world!

BTW, since you built the dock- is it still under warranty? Dock is holding up well but the weedy growth of summer is making my dinghy outboard want to choke now and then as we approach the dock. If your warranty is still in place I would appreciate some under water weed mowing.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #83
Guru

City: Georgia
I thought all props were underwater weed wackers.

My grandmother had a small store/marina at the bottom end of a chain of lakes in Indiana. The dock area, just the one, was where we swam all summer long when we visited. The bottom there stayed clear of weeds, although you could see the weedy bottom out 10' or so beyond the dock. I figured it was prop wash that kept the bottom clear.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #84
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
[QUOTE=Woodsong;99235]Don, somehow missed seeing your post quoted above until now but how is this possible? I thought you were only 29?!

That's got to be the same dock. Funny thing- earlier this summer we went over there and there were a bunch of people gathered around a campfire hanging out. I had always assumed it was part of the state park since, well, it's all within the state park land there! So we hop over with the dog in the dinghy, tie up, walk over and just started chatting away with them. I then found out it was their dock. They said their family had built it many years ago and he now owned the cabin that was associated with the dock. He said they pretty much were claiming squatters rights for the dock at this point even if it is on park land.
Anyway- family I was talking to said their grandparents had built the cabin and dock some many years ago and that the cabin had been in their family for generations and they came up for summer vacations. They told us we could use the dock any time and we had a good time visiting with them for a bit. They recognized our boat as always being anchored out there and they keep their ski boats in dry stack at Island Cove. small world!

BTW, since you built the dock- is it still under warranty? Dock is holding up

Nope, no warranties in effect. It was only warranted to the original owners.

Tony, that is truly amazing. Their grandfather had to have been J. M. Ferry. He and Tom Malone (Uncle Tommy) bought the land together and split it. They built two identical cabins. I helped on the Malone cabin, and we built the dock for both to use. The Ferrys had a daughter named Mickey. She has to be their mother. She was my age. I first dated my late wife at that cabin. Many, many memories. We boys slept out on the sleeping porch. Gosh. did we have fun.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat life, photo, scenery, scenic, vistas