Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #61
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Such a glorious way to start the day!

Great way to start the day Tony. Plus you can jump over and take a good fresh water lake bath. Is that Dog Leg Slough near Wolftever Bridge?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #62

City: Benicia CA
[QUOTE=Marin;98384]Does the "Red sky at morning, sailor take warning" saying hold true on the Great Lakes like it does on salt water?

Does this hold true anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere? I've heard this all my life and it never made sense to me, at least not in the Northern Hemisphere where the weather generally moves from west to east.

If there's a red sky in the morning, that means it's in the east and already past you and moving away (generally). That should mean that fair weather should be next - correct?

What am I missing?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #63
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Great way to start the day Tony. Plus you can jump over and take a good fresh water lake bath. Is that Dog Leg Slough near Wolftever Bridge?
Don- yes that is Dogleg. We are creatures of habit I guess- excellent anchorage, close to the marina, dock at the back of the cove to dinghy the dog to shore....what more could I want except maybe a tiki bar with cheap drinks?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #64
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
[QUOTE=Nsail;98795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Does the "Red sky at morning, sailor take warning" saying hold true on the Great Lakes like it does on salt water?

Does this hold true anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere? I've heard this all my life and it never made sense to me, at least not in the Northern Hemisphere where the weather generally moves from west to east.

If there's a red sky in the morning, that means it's in the east and already past you and moving away (generally). That should mean that fair weather should be next - correct?

What am I missing?
I'm with you, Nsail. It never made any sense to me and only seemed to hold true about 50% of the time in the Midwest where I grew up. I figure it's a wive's tale.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #65
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Nope, not a wives tale http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myster...er-sailor.html

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/r...-at-night.html AND it's even in the bible (Mat. XVI) so it MUST be true!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #66
Scraping Paint

City: -
While we aren't out on the water enough to see a truly consistent pattern, we've been out enough to see that the "rule" seems to hold fairly true up here. Particularly the "red sky at night" part. In all the times we've taken notice of a red sky, the next day has inevitably been pretty nice, either a repeat of the previous day if it was nice, too, or better than the previous day if it wasn't.

On evenings when the sky was not red--- it was either yellow or simply pale light---- the weather the following day was invariably not great. It may not have been actually bad or stormy--- it may have been simply overcast or drizzly. But it wasn't fine.

The morning half of the equation is not something we've had much chance to observe either on the water or off it.

Other than the explanation posted earlier in this thread I have never seen any sort of scientific reason for our observations.

PS-- Thanks, RTF, for your link. I didn't see it until after I'd submitted this post.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Don- yes that is Dogleg. We are creatures of habit I guess- excellent anchorage, close to the marina, dock at the back of the cove to dinghy the dog to shore....what more could I want except maybe a tiki bar with cheap drinks?
Tony, you will not believe this, but I think I helped build that dock back in the 1950s. An Uncle and Aunt owned that property. They built a cabin back in the woods. I was a kid and helped them work on it on the weekends. We built the dock during winter at low water. We used a farm tractor to pull the stumps out of the lake to clear the swimming area. Sometimes after a little dynamite pursuasion. Then dug the posts in for the dock. We would swim across the slough. I don't have a clue who owns the cabin now. The Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin have all passed away. Lot's of memories there.

I have my Blackfin apart working on it. When I get around to getting it back together, I will run it up to see your new boat.

Watch out for hanging your anchor on a stump.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #68

Aha! So, at sunrise you need to look at the west and not in the east, and it needs to be a deep fiery red, not just red. And, when setting you need to look to the east (normal red is fine).

Hmmm.... probably only works 50% of the time anyway as FlyWrite pointed out. Just like normal weather forecasts. Seems that it may still be a guessing game or wives tale, but at least it rhymes!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #69
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Aha! So, at sunrise you need to look at the west and not in the east, and it needs to be a deep fiery red, not just red. And, when setting you need to look to the east (normal red is fine).

Well, no because you need to be seeing the light refracting through the dust and moisture. Which means you have to be looking AT the source of the light with the dust and moisture between you and it.

If you look away from the light all you wil see is the light reflecting off whatever it's hitting--- trees, mountains, buildings, etc. The reflected light will contain a degree of the light source's color but you won't see the "proper" color.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #70

That was how I was understanding the articles. Did I read it wrong, or, are the articles wrong?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
Scraping Paint

Don't know. When I read them it seemed to me that the color was what you saw when you looked toward the source of the light. Depending on the cloud cover the red (or not red) can be apparent on the clouds, too. But to really see the effect of dust or moisture in the air, looking through the dust or moisture toward the light is the way to do it.

It's no different than dust floating in your house. You don't see it when the light is behind you and you are looking away from the light. But you do see it when you are looking through the dust in the air toward the light (not necessarily directly at it but toward it). Steam is the same way. If you really want to get a good shot or video of steam, backlight it. Front light will show the steam to a degree, but if you really want to make it stand out you light it from the other side and shoot toward the direction the light is coming from with the steam between you and the light source.

First shot, frontlit. Second shot, backlit, like you looking toward the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Frontlit.jpg   Backlit.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #72

Marin,

What you say makes perfect sense and I understand completely. Its the articles that I don't understand and question.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #73
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Hey guys!! I have an app for that!

WeatherPro provides a much more reliable forecast than some rhyming ditty from your childhood! Seriously, I find it to be quite accurate and easy to use.

WeatherPro: WeatherPro powered by MeteoGroup - Home
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #74

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
While it is true that most of the time the weather in the Great Lakes is westerly, it is not that uncommon to get large systems pushing up from the south and east. I have seen the wind go through an entire 360 deg circle in a single day quite often.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

WeatherPro provides a much more reliable forecast than some rhyming ditty from your childhood! Seriously, I find it to be quite accurate and easy to use.

But, but, what if my batteries die? Do I look east or west?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #76
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Looks pretty good. Have you used Weather Underground and if so, how do you think WeatherPro compares?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #77
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Unhappy Stupid Photobucket

I wanted to post a pic of why I deal with owning boats,but photobucket has crapped out tonight and my pic is there.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I wanted to post a pic of why I deal with owning boats,but photobucket has crapped out tonight and my pic is there.
Go ahead, Ben. Photobucket is back up.

Here is a picture Twisted will probably recognize the location. It's Southseas Plantation on Captiva Island. Little Moonstruck on one of our cruises on her. We cruised that little boat all over Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana coasts. Definitely one of the reasons to put up with the trouble.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/attachme...004e90b465.jpg

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #79
Guru

Kids going ashore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	12374
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #80
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Well,about 25% of my pics are missing from photobucket and almost everyone of my boating pics are lost.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat life, photo, scenery, scenic, vistas