Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Reminder: Everything posted here is public record

This isn't based on just one person or post but things I've seen over time and it's just a reminder to all of us, myself included. Everything posted here is a matter of public record. If you post about someone, assume they are reading every word. You might say quickly that it's all true so it's not defamation. However, that doesn't keep them from saying it is and whatever problem you're having, they may use your posts to make it worse on you.

People who start out uncooperative become aggressive and not just uncooperative, but take the attack when they see public posts. Instead of making promises they don't live up to, they refuse any further contact. People have been sued over posts on Yelp.

Now once a thread is started, you can also be hurt by what others of us post, if it's antagonistic against others. We can also be hurt ourselves because we may be posting opinions about something we only have third hand information on. And anytime anyone posts a threat, not just about a vendor, any sort of a threat, there can be serious consequences. Even if it's said in humor. You get overcharged by a marina and post something of the nature, I should go back and just shoot up his pumps. If he reads and believes that you really might do that (doesn't matter if you would or you really meant it) then you've issued a threat against him and it's a criminal act.

I would never post anything negative using the name of the other party on this or any other site until my business with them was 100% resolved. It greatly lessens the probability of resolution. Even then I would find a way to post the information in the least inflammatory way possible. And the forum should never be used as a place to start harassment of another, whether by email or any other method. Some people might take it to far or it might be too many people. The person who initiates such a crusade could get in trouble. If someone here said they were going to put a can of gas in front of my door to send me a message, I might well contact law enforcement. Well, except for the fact no one here knows where my door is and I don't conduct any business here although I'm sure many here have patronized our businesses. While some of us have thoughts that we'd go beat someone up if it was us in a situation and not someone else, we wouldn't and we shouldn't say we would.

If someone provides extremely poor service, there is nothing wrong after the fact in posting your experience in a factual, concise manner. If others have had similar or different experiences they can post, but all that should be limited, in my opinion, as there are other places to post it more effectively. One google post or yelp post gets it to many more people. If it's appropriate in Active Captain that leads to ratings.

Most of what we need to address here is how to handle situations and how to avoid them. Ask how to handle a situation of someone who you paid for work and they never did the work, people can respond. Ask what to do when a survey was deficient, we should offer any advice we have. As long as the name is withheld, we're all speaking in generalities.

Now, if the board administrators disagree with what I've written here, I encourage them to edit or delete. My purpose is just to remind us all.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Be Afraid... Be Very Afraid!

Joking aside. True input, B

B - You two have posted approx 7.4 time average per every day in the approx 909 days since you entered TF; vast majority of posts by you. Many (maybe most) posts quite long and elaborate. How do you ever find the time with all the other things you and WB do???

At just 10 minutes average per post = 74 minutes every day. If it's double that time per post (you know, reading other's posts etc.) then it's 2.45 daily hours - WOW!!!

2.45 hrs X 909 days = 2227 hrs :- 24 hrs = 93 - 24/7 days of TF doings. Double WOW WOW!!
__________________

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Be Afraid... Be Very Afraid!

Joking aside. True input, B

B - You two have posted approx 7.4 time average per day in the approx 909 days since you entered TF; vast majority of posts by you. Many (maybe most) posts quite long and elaborate. How do you ever find the time with all the other things you and WB do???
Voice. We seldom type. And sometimes one posts while the other drives. Today we're in a car. I started the above post three hours ago on the way to West Palm. Finished it on the way back. 95% of our posts are on a tablet or surface or similar and dictated. Some may be immediate post and some started and posted hours later.

In total, less than an hour on an average day. More on days we're traveling or just sitting by the pool.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
I'm going to drop my membership...
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm going to drop my membership...
Hate to see you do that.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Somewhere
Country: , Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,868
Just let the forum be for a while until whatever annoyed you fades a bit. I've done that. Yove?r been aboard since early.
Now I'm pi###d at the darn stupid header bar that cover half the screen to load the T.F. app on Google play
STPID. I m. Typing blind.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,564
I`ve a thought about which thread may have given immediate rise to this.
It`s fair comment. General but fair. We post comments based on the available information. Bear in mind that information can be perfectly correct, highly inaccurate, or incomplete. The barrister with whom I "read" in my early days would often preface an advice with "Based on those facts..". A written Advice starts by reciting the facts on which it is based.
This is a Forum, not a law office, but it pays to accord natural fairness to others.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
Guru
 
MYTraveler's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 850
I am halfway tempted to go through your recent posts to figure out what set that off. If me, I apologize. I do tend to speak my mind, but am educated and careful enough not to cross the line of legal liability. And I have long ago given up on worrying about frivolous lawsuits, if that was a point of your post.
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Hate to see you do that.
Just kidding. I'll be around. Usually when the fur starts flying, I head back to the barn...!
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I am halfway tempted to go through your recent posts to figure out what set that off. If me, I apologize. I do tend to speak my mind, but am educated and careful enough not to cross the line of legal liability. And I have long ago given up on worrying about frivolous lawsuits, if that was a point of your post.
Honestly, my comments are not aimed at any single poster and I certainly don't know of yours I found questionable. It's a general statement. It's also a statement for one to keep in mind what the intent is. If someone is in a bind or difficult situation, their first intent needs to be extracting themselves from it and not risking making it worse. For those of us helping, we need to center on the same. If one likes exposing and vengeance then don't get into it until after the primary objective is mixed. I've been in enough negotiations and other situations in my life where I really wanted to let it all fly, but where doing so wasn't in my best interest or my employer's.

I do remember ending a business relationship and one arrogant and really ugly CEO of a company my employer had acquired said "I thought you were my friend." Very calmly I said, "You were confused then as out of the billions of people on this planet and those on other planets if there are any, you would be the last person I would ever be friends with. Now, have a nice day. Security will escort you out." He called me a few names, screaming and yelling. He didn't realize that by doing so, he just made me a hero among his former employees.They all thought it was hilarious.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,084
I take B's post as simply a general reminder. Thanks B. Good points.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,363
Inciting good behavior on the internet is frustrating. Now some in DC are finding out that the email watchers never sleep. BB you have a big task as you attempt to control this motley group.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 AM   #13
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,688
Did Someone Say Motley Crue?


BandB, your point is well made. Thanks for the gently slap up side the head with the 2x4.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 AM   #14
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,203
If anyone gets upset by what someone they don't know, and probably will never know, posts on an Internet forum, then maybe they need to consider going back to Dial Up and buying newspapers.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #15
Member
 
City: Salem, SC
Country: U.S.
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11
We are all entitled to our own opinions: "In my opinion "X" is a lousy (fill in the blank)". We are not, however, entitled to our own facts.
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Diesel Duck's Avatar
 
City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Country: Colombia, South America and Huatulco, Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
If anyone gets upset by what someone they don't know, and probably will never know, posts on an Internet forum, then maybe they need to consider going back to Dial Up and buying newspapers.
+1
__________________
Diesel Duck
*For Sale or Trade this oceanfront Mexican villa (www.QuintaAlegria.com) for the right 'Trawler' - Nordhavn, Kadey Krogen, Diesel Duck or ???
Diesel Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
We are all entitled to our own opinions: "In my opinion "X" is a lousy (fill in the blank)". We are not, however, entitled to our own facts.
Well stated!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #18
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,321
Another internet related sobering thought.

It was while researching for and submitting evidence to a federal government review board about a particularly nasty industrial development proposal in my home town that I discovered there are websites which download and store the entire internet every day.

The nasty corporation mentioned above would randomly change information between websites as well as delete damaging quotes or troublesome information, making links to evidence seemingly impossible.

The answer was to put the link in anyway after quoting from it (had huge folders full of copied & pasted stuff with a note about what day it was found on) and add "as found on December 20, 2012" for example.

Point being...even if you think it's gone, it hasn't.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Richmond Va
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
If anyone gets upset by what someone they don't know, and probably will never know, posts on an Internet forum, then maybe they need to consider going back to Dial Up and buying newspapers.
Agreed....see this type of venting, all over the net when someone gets their butt handed to them in public.
Cervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
We are all entitled to our own opinions: "In my opinion "X" is a lousy (fill in the blank)". We are not, however, entitled to our own facts.
Facts are commonly in dispute. Here is one, global warming is caused by man. Or OJ is a murderer. Or England is better off alone. Or brand X is a good boat. Or self driving cars are safe. Rocna, Sarca, Ultra, Fortress etc anchors are the best - really! Sonny Liston is unbeatable or Russian hockey is better than a scruffy bunch of Americans.

Point being, new findings and new facts propel progress. Where do you think the terms after the fact or conflicting witnesses came from?
__________________

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012