Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 410
And this is why we bought the boat we bought when we did. We had been looking for over a year and had initially said we weren't going to buy a boat until our other home sold which would free up a rather large amount of money each month. And we knew selling that house wasn't going to be easy or quick. So we just "window shopped". We ended up deciding to spend quite a bit less for our "starter boat" and just do it now. As it turned out, the house sold like the week after we bought the boat.

We have lots of years left before we can retire and that precludes us from doing any long range cruising. That played a factor in our boat choice.

Hubby works for a large global company that preaches the importance of work/life balance. As part of their promotion of this, they recently gave everyone a beach blanket, a beach ball, and a soft sided cooler. We're going to spread the blanket out on the deck of our boat, blow up the beach ball, and stage the cooler and have someone take a picture of us having a picnic on our deck to send in to them. They requested pictures of people actually practicing the whole work/life balance.

Hubby gets quite a decent amount of vacation every year which will allow us to hopefully spend a good bit of time on our boat.

As for me, I run a company with a staff of 17 very well trained employees. I used to be a total control freak and a workaholic. I love my company and I love what I do. Back in 2009 the founder of my company was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was 65 years old and had retired when he hired me to run the company. We were very good friends. When he was diagnosed he came to the my office and said who's going to take over if something happens to you? I told who my choice was to succeed me. He said, if you die tomorrow, could she step in? Does she know enough? I said ummm no. He said you have got to learn to delegate and give up some control. You've got to train her. So I started doing that, but at a very slow pace. It ended up that she had to basically learn "trial by fire". As John's cancer progressed, he asked me if I would be his medical power of attorney and make all of his end of life decisions. There were lengthy hospital stays and I was there with him 24/7. And then he decided no more doctors and no more treatment and he wanted to go back to Florida and wanted to die in his condo overlooking the beach. So off to Florida we went. I set up hospice and John got his wish. He died in a hospital bed set up in his living room positioned so that he could watch the sunrises and sunsets over the beach. My chosen one really stepped up to the plate as did all of my staff. They are all like family to me. The phone calls became fewer as she gained more confidence in making decisions without me. She now completely runs the day to day operations of the company and I have very little to do. She knows which things she can make sections herself about and which things she needs to call me for. I spent the week IN the office last week because she went on vacation and I was bored to tears.
Anyway, all of that to say, I do have a lot of flexibility which allows me to spend time on the boat as well. However, I'm never "unplugged". While all of my employees work 8-5 M-F and don't have to think about work when not at work, that is not true for me. My company is never far from my mind.

Our dream though for retirement, God willing, is to get a Lrc of some sort and spend the majority of our time cruising. Until that day arrives, we will enjoy what we CAN do for now.
__________________
Advertisement

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #42
Guru
 
kthoennes's Avatar
 
City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 699
I've been camped out in Mom's hospital room in the ICU and the family lounge at this hospital for about a week now. The wallpaper on my computer is a shot of our boat in the marina back home. Mom is recovering gradually, we're pretty sure now she'll get out of here, but in this week's time I've watched a family crisis in adjoining rooms just about every day.

Last year at almost exactly this same time, we took delivery of our boat around Newport, RI, then motored it over a couple weeks to Mystic, up the CT River to the Goodspeed, back to Essex, my home town of Chester, then Black Rock, Northport, Manhattan, up the Hudson, and then had it pulled, dismantled, and loaded for shipping to South Dakota. For those two brief weeks we spent a frightening amount of money, everything from plane tickets to new electronics at the helm, charts for every inch of the trip, marina hopping every night, all that fuel, dinner and cabs in Manhattan, marinas on the Hudson. We had some expensive upgrades done at Coeymans because they're experts on those Mainships and they do great work, then the shipping, then reassembly and launching at our home marina. It was all a great adventure, fun and challenging every day, unlike anything we had done before, and my wife and I and a couple friends have memories we'll always cherish, but it was all shockingly expensive. We could have paid down the mortgage. New roof on the house. Remodeled for a fourth bedroom for better house resale value. Could have bumped up my 401(k) significantly.

After a week camped out in this hospital though, I don't regret one single penny of that trip. We should have stayed out longer and done the Erie Canal and had it pulled in Oswego or Buffalo, but we had to get back to work. (Such a dilemma, one that we see in these forums over and over again -- chained to our jobs, but the jobs buy the boats.)
__________________

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #43
Veteran Member
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
As for me, I run a company with a staff of 17 very well trained employees. I used to be a total control freak and a workaholic. I love my company and I love what I do. Back in 2009 the founder of my company was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was 65 years old and had retired when he hired me to run the company. We were very good friends.
Star, I just want to say this is a beautiful story. I also have a woman COO that runs my company. And even though she is only 50, we have begun working on her succession too. Everyone should. Way to go for being there for the CEO and for the company on an ongoing basis. Warms my heart!
JustBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #44
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 595
My motto in life has always been "no regrets." While we may look back on things and think of how we could have done things differently due to an unexpected outcome, so long as the decision made at the time made sense, there is no reason to regret it. We look the same way at our lifestyle and work. I took a significant pay cut to move to a position that I really love. I could go back to what I was doing in a heartbeat and probably make enough to retire after about five years, but those five years would be hell. I'd rather stay where I am, make less day to day, but have a better quality of life. Now, that said, we do make enough to enjoy life and save for retirement, but I've learned that more money is not always the answer. We are now in our mid-40s and thinking about (1) when can we retire and maintain the lifestyle we want and (2) should we buy the big boat now so we can enjoy it rather than wait, not knowing what the future will bring. We are leaning toward upgrading now and, if we do, I can say without reservations that we will do so with no regrets.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #45
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Now, that said, we do make enough to enjoy life and save for retirement, but I've learned that more money is not always the answer. We are now in our mid-40s and thinking about (1) when can we retire and maintain the lifestyle we want and (2) should we buy the big boat now so we can enjoy it rather than wait, not knowing what the future will bring. We are leaning toward upgrading now and, if we do, I can say without reservations that we will do so with no regrets.
I would be curious as to why you are thinking of the "big boat". What is "big" and what ideas do you have for how you will use it?
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #46
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,282
Historic rule of thumb in pleasure boat hunting:

1. Be honest to yourself, i.e. think deeply in defining the way and scope of use you need the boat to accomplish for you and yours - immediately and during the next five to seven years.
2. Carefully calculate size of boat you "feel" you will need to fulfill the definitions of #1.
3. Then, in general, plan to find and purchase a good condition boat that can fulfill #1... but is 3% to 5% smaller that what you calculated in #2.

Reasons for #3 in this "thumb rule": Because it works out - notably saving you money, effort, and headache; in the short as well as long run.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #47
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would be curious as to why you are thinking of the "big boat". What is "big" and what ideas do you have for how you will use it?
For us, it would be something in the 40-50 foot range, preferably 40-45. We want to make the upgrade becuase our current boat is a little tight for us and how we use it. We want a walk around queen, larger galley (fridge in particular), larger shower, covered cockpit, and upper deck to carry a dinghy. We often have guests on board, and it can get a little tight with four adults. Something like the boat you have now is what we have in mind. We spend just about every weekend (Friday night through Sunday), as well as most of our vacations on the boat. And we almost exclusively anchor out. It is essentailly a second home, a lifestyle choice for us. We've even spend nights on the boat in the winter when the river is frozen. The additional space would tick all of the boxes for us.

We are very pleased with the single engine, pilothouse style we have now, and are thinking about a larger Nordic Tug, American Tug, North Pacific or Helmsman. We really like the Krogen and Norhavn models in our prefered size range, but we have no plans to cross oceans and the draft would be a hinderance for what we do. Short range plans are to continue boating in our imediate area, including the Chesapeake Bay and ICW to North Carolina. Longer range, we intend to cruise the East Coast from Canada to the Bahamas. We think the boats we are looking at will fit the bill perfectly for us. We knew when we bought our current boat that we would eventually move up, it is just that we are thinking why not do it now rather than wait, given that there is no way to know what the furture will bring in terms of health and ability to enjoy the water.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #48
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,282
Even with prohibitive family-care health items and home rebuilding ongoing after 200 year oak fell on it... we two who are healthy (Linda and me)... leave today for five days aboard our Tolly! Been way toooo long, since... YEA!!!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #49
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
For us, it would be something in the 40-50 foot range, preferably 40-45. We want to make the upgrade becuase our current boat is a little tight for us and how we use it. We want a walk around queen, larger galley (fridge in particular), larger shower, covered cockpit, and upper deck to carry a dinghy. We often have guests on board, and it can get a little tight with four adults. Something like the boat you have now is what we have in mind. We spend just about every weekend (Friday night through Sunday), as well as most of our vacations on the boat. And we almost exclusively anchor out. It is essentailly a second home, a lifestyle choice for us. We've even spend nights on the boat in the winter when the river is frozen. The additional space would tick all of the boxes for us.

We are very pleased with the single engine, pilothouse style we have now, and are thinking about a larger Nordic Tug, American Tug, North Pacific or Helmsman. We really like the Krogen and Norhavn models in our prefered size range, but we have no plans to cross oceans and the draft would be a hinderance for what we do. Short range plans are to continue boating in our imediate area, including the Chesapeake Bay and ICW to North Carolina. Longer range, we intend to cruise the East Coast from Canada to the Bahamas. We think the boats we are looking at will fit the bill perfectly for us. We knew when we bought our current boat that we would eventually move up, it is just that we are thinking why not do it now rather than wait, given that there is no way to know what the furture will bring in terms of health and ability to enjoy the water.
Forgive the over quoting but my iPad is being difficult.

The North Pacific, American Tug, Nordic Tug, and Helmsman were the boats that we ended up looking at well. All good choices for what you have in mind. I am also guessing by your list that you, like us, want to stay away from an older boat or a boat with exterior teak.

One thing that my wife commented on last weekend was that she can find a place for anything that she wants to put on the boat. So even when it is just the two of us, the extra room is nice.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #50
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Forgive the over quoting but my iPad is being difficult.

The North Pacific, American Tug, Nordic Tug, and Helmsman were the boats that we ended up looking at well. All good choices for what you have in mind. I am also guessing by your list that you, like us, want to stay away from an older boat or a boat with exterior teak.

One thing that my wife commented on last weekend was that she can find a place for anything that she wants to put on the boat. So even when it is just the two of us, the extra room is nice.
Danger, Danger Will Robinson!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #51
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
All good choices for what you have in mind. I am also guessing by your list that you, like us, want to stay away from an older boat or a boat with exterior teak.

One thing that my wife commented on last weekend was that she can find a place for anything that she wants to put on the boat. So even when it is just the two of us, the extra room is nice.
You are 100% correct! Would prefer something from the early 2000s (not the 1900s). And as much as I love the look of varnished teak, been there and done that with our last sailboat, and never again. We now firmly believe all the wood should be on the inside. We would rather admire the beautiful teak outside other people's boats. As for the space, that is an issue we have run into - not enough storage, in addition to needing more room to move around when we have guests with us. Lastly, would prefer Cummins power, primarily becuase I'm very familair with the motors and do my own mechanical mantenance and repairs. Yes, we have put a lot of thought into this and pretty much narrowed everything down (already having a Nordic Tug has made it much easier than when we were looking last time).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
People often jab at government workers...well as one...I have some stories about business too....
Ditto. I practice law and was in the private sector 20 years and have now been in the public sector 20 years. Heard a lot of good lawyer jokes in both sectors, and met most of them
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #53
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
You are 100% correct! Would prefer something from the early 2000s (not the 1900s). And as much as I love the look of varnished teak, been there and done that with our last sailboat, and never again. We now firmly believe all the wood should be on the inside. We would rather admire the beautiful teak outside other people's boats. As for the space, that is an issue we have run into - not enough storage, in addition to needing more room to move around when we have guests with us. Lastly, would prefer Cummins power, primarily becuase I'm very familair with the motors and do my own mechanical mantenance and repairs. Yes, we have put a lot of thought into this and pretty much narrowed everything down (already having a Nordic Tug has made it much easier than when we were looking last time).
If you are looking for a used boat and are willing to get away from the NT or AT styling (which are very nice), I would encourage you to look at the North Pacific 42/43. The only downside is that there is not a huge used inventory out there. The advantage is that they have been around long enough to find used boats, and are much less expensive on the used market for comparable NTs or ATs. They, like the NT and AT, have the Cummins engines you are used to. The Helmsman are nice as well, copying the business model of North Pacific, but being newer boats there are even less out there on the used market.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Datenight's Avatar
 
City: Noank, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Datenight
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Carolena,

Have to second dhays on the NP. We have put our NP 39 on the market and are moving up to the new 45. My wife is the driver on that. Did I marry well or what!?

The Reminder To Do It Now thread also drives it home.

Rob
__________________
North Pacific 39
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #55
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Carolena,

Have to second dhays on the NP. We have put our NP 39 on the market and are moving up to the new 45. My wife is the driver on that. Did I marry well or what!?

The Reminder To Do It Now thread also drives it home.

Rob
That is funny - I have been doing some searches on Yachtworld and was actually looking at your boat the other day, just didn't realize it was yours. She looks great. Did you order it new? And will the next boat also be new? That is one route we've discussed, since we expect to own this one for quite sometime (and the Helmsman build thread has peaked our interest), but I'm not sure I can deal with the depreciation issue.

As for who is driving the decision, fortunately my wife is also 100% behind boating. When we started talking about selling the sailboat to go larger and power, I told her that with what we were planning to spend, we could sell the condo instead and get a larger one in the city. Her response was "why would I not want a larger boat?" She is a keeper!!!
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #56
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Carolena,

Have to second dhays on the NP. We have put our NP 39 on the market and are moving up to the new 45. My wife is the driver on that. Did I marry well or what!?

The Reminder To Do It Now thread also drives it home.

Rob
Rob that is great. That new NP45 looks sweet!

Carolena, the NP45 is a new boat, so nothing on the used market yet.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Datenight's Avatar
 
City: Noank, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Datenight
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Carolena,

Thanks for the compliment Diane does call me Mr. Anal. We did not order it but bought it new. It was the boat that made the show circut here in the Northeast. I have to say working with Trevor Brice the owner of North Pacific was a very good experience.

As dhays said the 45 is a new model. Hull no. 3 is being completed now so nothing but new on the market at the moment.

Glad to hear you married well also!

Rob
__________________
North Pacific 39
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #58
Veteran Member
 
jrs1958's Avatar
 
City: Ft pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 74
I'm looking at a boat that was prepared for 5 years to livaboard and do the loop and Bahamas. They untied the lines and a day later the wife wasn't feeling well. Ended up with a terminal illness and now the boats for sale.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member
 
jrs1958's Avatar
 
City: Ft pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 74
Who the hell needs money when your old and unable to do anything. You'll just be reading and watching tv.
Hearses don't have luggage racks!

I've spent 1/2 my money on boats. The other 1/2 I wasted foolishly!
__________________

jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012