Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #161
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here. I'm arrogant. But that's part of the gender bias that happens with a bunch of older guys (me included). I know she felt it in a big way and looking at the comments then and now, she'd win the debate in a fair trial.
Successful people are generally arrogant. They believe so strongly in themselves. Rudeness is when they display that arrogance openly and allow it to impact how they treat others.

Also, displaced arrogance is rude. By that I mean being arrogant about things completely outside your realm of knowledge. When it comes to home flipping and construction, I assume she has reason to be arrogant and nothing wrong with it. As a beginner in the boating world, she hadn't earned that right.

I don't think she's a bad person. I consider her a good person just based on her love of her family.

I also strongly disagree that her gender led to worse treatment. I think many, including myself, were more tolerant of her as a wife and mom.

The only gender bias I've ever been accused of is liking women better than men.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #162
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Why she didn't just move the boat somewhere warmer, I don't know. From the rest of her blog post, it seems there were more things going on than she wanted to say publicly. It's too bad. Occasionally , I would check her blog, read her comments ,and look at the pictures. I was really happy for her and her family. It seems like she and her family had a great time on the trip up the coast.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #163
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S

I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here.

Quote:
I think the number of women who post here is too small statistically to even measure (with respect to Ms B).

I also think the top management of marine businesses are not represented here at all (male or female).

The reason for both is the same. The environment is too toxic. You end up with the forum you deserve...
Now Jeffrey...that was rude...
Old 04-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #164
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S

I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here.

Now Jeffrey...that was rude...
And toxic.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #165
Guru

I don't think we have nor does she have reason to give us the whole story. Boston was in time for school and because her business was there. But then not long after, it was California. If she just wanted to be rid of the boat, then could have just stayed in Boston. If the weather was the only issue, then just move the boat south. I just hope she and the kids are happy with the move.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #166
Guru

Quote:
Why close it? It's the perfect example of why women, for the most part, don't take part here. For that matter, other threads show the same thing for business owners and CEO's of boating based businesses. Maybe if there's enough great examples, some behaviors might change?

Nah, I doubt it...
For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business.
GG had her own ideas and had great faith in them. This time, her ideas did not work, unless of course she turned a $ out of the boat. Gender is irrelevant. No point in a post mortem.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #167
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I dont for one minute think she made money on that boat. But, it would be completely against everything she has been succesfull at to say otherwise.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #168
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
She might have made money on it. I only had a quick look but the cosmetic stuff appeared well done. But not a lot of money needs to go into that.

I doubt there was much of consequence done to boat systems, which is the area that eats cash. If someone wanted a dock queen, or didn't look at the whole boat properly, then selling for premium is quite possible. Of course it should be moved, or towed if necessary, quite a ways south to be enjoyed.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #169
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The problem with cosmetics (her venue) is that a decent surveyor goes past them like a hot knife thru butter. Its easy to put lipstick on a pig and call it a runway model, its still a pig if you know what a pig basically looks like.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #170
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
As best I recall she had an opportunity to buy a very nice boat - Cheoy Lee - already located in CA.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #171
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
The problem with cosmetics (her venue) is that a decent surveyor goes past them like a hot knife thru butter. Its easy to put lipstick on a pig and call it a runway model, its still a pig if you know what a pig basically looks like.
Bingo! Well said. You know she did good cosmetic upgrades but the boat was probably neglected (hence the deal). She didn't have a working knowledge of the systems to upgrade or even know if there were issues. A prepurchase survey probably woke Galaxy Girl up more than the prospective buyer.

I totally disagree with Jeff that she was gender battered. She was welcomed with open arms and plenty of offers for help.
We have a saying for that in our industry (non gender specific). "You want to act like a bitch, your going to get treated like a bitch."
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #172
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business.
Business model? Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

And what does that have to do with app developers posting here? How about NOAA cartographers? Marine electronics engineers? And other professionals in the boating products market?

Why are there nearly none of those people posting here and yet every class of those people post on our Facebook group? Could it be the toxic atmosphere like your little snip at me that keeps them away? Why would anyone be dumb enough to come here to take that abuse? For me, heck, I'm a New Yorker. I like to argue. My wife prefers me to do it here!
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #173
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
She was welcomed with open arms and plenty of offers for help.
We have a saying for that in our industry (non gender specific). "You want to act like a bitch, your going to get treated like a bitch."
No gender bias there. Use the word bitch twice in a sentence to prove that being a female had nothing to do with anything. Strong way to make your point.

Yeah, she was welcomed. No question. But as soon as she showed that she wanted to do things her way, even if the "experts" here disagreed, then she was treated like a girl. A "rude" girl.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #174
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
She has not been here in what ? a year ? yet is still the focus of what, resentment, jealousy, misogyny ? I don't get it.

"She didn't learn anything", of course she did, she tried it, didn't like it and moved on.
More power to her.

-unsubscribed-
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #175
Guru

Quote:
Business model? Do you have a clue what you're talking about?
Yes.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #176
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
This has garnered 9 pages! I hope she is reading this and laughing her ass off!
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 AM   #177
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I think most of the guys here on TF got the whole Galaxy girl thing wrong.

I think I read probably every post she made here on TF and I don't remember a bunch of rudness.

She was asking questions. When she got a answer that didn't explain enough she questioned the answer.

In the end she actually listened, and her boat choice shows that.

She did not buy a old wooden boat
She did not buy a old steel boat
She bought a old Hatteras (pretty hard to fault a choice like that)

Then she had it cosmetically fixed up and lived on it for a winter.

Like ALLOT of people who buy big boats she decided big boat boating and the liveaboard lifestyle was not for her so she ended that life experiment.

I do not consider her a failure, any more than any one else that buys a big boat, tries it out and decides its not for them. Large boats are a lifestyle choice, one you cannot know about without trying it out. Evidence of this are all the big boats that come up for sale, or sit unused in our harbors.

Would she have been happier in a warmer climate? Should she have given it more time? Who knows. We could "coulda, shoulda, woulda" this forever. The fact is she tried it out and decided it was not for her.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #178
Guru

City: kemah
"For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business."

Well for me this thread explained a whole lot.

I think she had great taste in boats and how to furnish them. She could easily do that as a business. That boat was homey inside.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #179
Guru

City: gulf coast
What's the big deal?

Somebody without experience buys a big old boat. spends lots of money on it. takes kids on a memorable journey, tries winter aboard in Boston, decides it is not her ideal life and cuts losses.

People come and go from boating all the time, often making similar expensive choices. She was more decisive than most and went through the cycle much faster than most.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #180
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
This has garnered 9 pages! I hope she is reading this and laughing her ass off!
Max

You could not be more right. In this age of Facebook, Twitter, Kardashians, Jenners etc she has accomplished her goals and moved on to the next episode and chapter. GG has kept us all back biting and riveted.

I'd bet there will be more to follow. I can hardly wait.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote