Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #141
Guru

There are lots of stupid people doing things "their way".
It is just a pity when it gets into the gene pool!!
I read recently of a couple with no experience buying a sail boat and planning a circumnavigation from UK. They were rescued 5 times in the English Channel I believe before the volunteer RNLI said "no more"!!

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #142
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I kinda liked her. I appreciate someone who is doing it their way. I think she was dumped on here without cause (in the beginning).
Yes, that' my take on it also. She got off on a bad footing, but many were supportive, and if she had just listened a bit more, she would have got everyone on board.

Sadly she did not twig to that fact, so in the end alienated what could have been a really supportive community. However, she gave it a red hot go, and I'm sorry to hear that after getting quite a nice boat, and a brief taste of live aboard life, she/they jacked it in. Maybe the 'they' played more of a part in that in the end. After all, if one or more of the kids, (or grandma), hated it...what could you do..?
It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. However, I have not been following her blog, so others may know more...

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #143
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For me the issue was not so much "not listening".....it was she wasn't bashful posting repeatedly that she was very successful because she worked hard at what she did.

Well, so did so many trying to pass along good, universal advice in doing what she planned.

Most people do listen a little along the way....and don't keep pushing back that their totally unrelated talents will prevail.

If I went on a housing flipping forum and kept telling her my talents as a boat captain or other past success would make house flipping easy, the shoe would have been on the other foot. After the 100th post of how my "other" talent and the chiming in of my mother about it....I would guess it would all start to go bad too. It's not rocket science.

But I do admit, the tone of some forums do seem to assume everyone is completely new in every subject posted....except a few.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #144
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I like her. I had some communications with her outside forums. I think she was treated very poorly on many forums including this one. I know most will disagree but if she had faked her name and came across as a man, she would have been treated much differently.

So she bought an old boat for a song and fixed it up nicely. She could likely teach nearly everyone here about cosmetic repairs and making a boat interior beautiful, as if most people would bother to listen to her.

She tried the lifestyle and didn't like it. She has memories rather than dreams. Good on her for that. Then she sold the boat at a handsome profit. Again, something many here only dream about.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #145
Guru

City: gulf coast
setting and working big outrageous goals is often the route to outrageous success or failure. Knowing when to start over is also key to success.
probably not someone I would want to spend time with but straight up or straight down seems her path.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #146
Guru

I would love to see the actual numbers and what was done.

Boat flipping is much like house flipping....possible...but most often the flip involves buying somehing you wouldn't want personally and usually never use yourself. Not always...but most of the time in my boat/house flipping experience.

Plus, having no experience and having to purchase it every step of the way cuts into those profits, and if you dont, you are REALLY setting yourself up for failure.

Again, it wasn't the dream ..... it was about attitude and the returned PMs that I and others received that did the most damage for losing support.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #147
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
I think she had other goals in mind. She starts out with a cool web page and blog, which states "watch me, a single parent of 5 cruise on a boat with no prior experience"...........
People are interested in seeing newbee's fail. If you can get thousands of subscribers and interest, you might get popular and on news shows. Then write a book. A couple from austrailia are doing this and getting all kinds of popularity. Other sailors are getting sponsored by companies like Mustang etc.
How true, life and entertainment have become one big reality show. I didn't really follow her, other than what you folks were posting. But from the beginning it reminded me of a reality TV show airing for the last couple of years on Discovery Channel "Alaskan Bush People".

The show centers on the nine member Billy Brown family who are purportedly living the Alaskan subsistence lifestyle. In reality, the Brown story has only a few elements of truth and is largely staged by the production company. It has been widely exposed for what it is in the press and Alaskan courts, where several family members were exposed and convicted of PFD application fraud. Yet people still watch it?

Not my cup of tea.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #148

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
If she had bought a "trawler" like this one she most probably still lived in it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-house.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	51213  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #149
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I like her. I had some communications with her outside forums. I think she was treated very poorly on many forums including this one. I know most will disagree but if she had faked her name and came across as a man, she would have been treated much differently.

So she bought an old boat for a song and fixed it up nicely. She could likely teach nearly everyone here about cosmetic repairs and making a boat interior beautiful, as if most people would bother to listen to her.

She tried the lifestyle and didn't like it. She has memories rather than dreams. Good on her for that. Then she sold the boat at a handsome profit. Again, something many here only dream about.
I totally disagree with you. Myself and MANY other TF members offered great advice to her. She was rude way too often and tried too often to either flippantly disregard our inputs or discredit our experience. If it had been a male then I and most others would have treated him the same way. Her loss - Not ours!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #150
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well guys no use to arguing about whether she took our advice or not. It was all offered in good faith and if she used it, fine. If not, fine. This is a forum for adventure, experiences and advice. No rule says you have to take the advice offered. Press on with life, wish her the best and lets go have some adventures........
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #151
Guru

I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here. I'm arrogant. But that's part of the gender bias that happens with a bunch of older guys (me included). I know she felt it in a big way and looking at the comments then and now, she'd win the debate in a fair trial.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #152
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"She was rude"?

In whose opinion.

I'm usually good for an opinion ... and my opinion is that this thread should be deleted. I could gladly mention names but .....
To the mods delete it or TF will wear the basher badge forever.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #153
Guru

Some of us had "gender training" so long ago......but does't mean forgotten.....well in a sentence or paragraph based forum....that is a huge stretch in personality guessing.

She wasn' Necessarily rude....but has been one of the worst in accepting advice graciously, whether it was good or bad.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #154
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. I agree with that to a point. How about just close it? Post #135...
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. mb. I agree with that to a point. How about just close it? Post #135...
Why close it? It's the perfect example of why women, for the most part, don't take part here. For that matter, other threads show the same thing for business owners and CEO's of boating based businesses. Maybe if there's enough great examples, some behaviors might change?

Nah, I doubt it...
Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #156
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JS. Are you suggesting that women, business owners and CEO's don't take part because of member negativity? I have seen some numbers of the above mentioned come and go but I also see equal numbers sign on who are STILL posting and contributing greatly to TF.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #157
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I'm simply not interested in discussing Galaxy Girl. My gender has nothing to do with it.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #158
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I'm simply not interested in discussing Galaxy Girl. My gender has nothing to do with it.
Exactly! Thank You, Pineapple Girl!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #159
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #160
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I was for her all the way. If she would have been a live a board in warm area she probably would still be. Many people spend money on creature comforts and looks, when basic requirements are not. We tried to tell her it was not live a board ready.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote