Old 05-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #81

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Yes, that is indeed a lot of boat to handle--more than I would take on solo. Is she cruising by herself with five children? One on my boat is enough! I simply can't believe she and her children have enough experience to take on this challenge. I wish her the best though!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #82
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
In her blog it is interesting how she deals with her insurance, and her choice to get "unlimited" insurance as she calls it.. all from a new owner that has gone nowhere. I thought it was interesting that she picks a boat with twin 12V motors... not going too far I hope unless her budget is really serious in the fuel allotment line.

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #83
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
If she contacted me before her search began, my professional advice would had been to: put the boys in military school, buy a condo for the mother inlaw down in Florida, put the young kids with her, and then would had found her a cute little small boat, taught her to "bat her eyes" at all the men who would come rushing up to help her tie up everywhere she went until a new "Mr. Galaxy" could be hooked, then introduce him to the clan at the reception. Then I would find them something late model in the 160' range.

about ten years ago I was dating a quite gorgeous suspiciously sweet girl from Colombia, and she said "next week I have a big surprise for you". Next week came-I answer the door, and there she is with the cutest little 6 yro. The first words out of his mouth were: "you going to be my daddy?". Well, if I didn't have a son graduating from high school that week, and her a daughter doing the same, and lived in a house vs a condo-maybe. Next one was a childless rich girl from Key Biscayne.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Well, the key now is going to be her hiring of a captain. Should be interesting to say the least. I think she underestimates the time necessary just to get the boat ready to start plus finding a Captain and he or she getting everything ready. The plan is Alabama to Florida, perhaps to the Bahamas for part of the summer, then back home to the Boston area before school starts. I don't see all that fitting into the time period. Certainly possible but means getting it going quickly and moving fast.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Well guys, I have to say I told you so.

I never had a problem with her methods here. She would ask a question, and then question the responses. That's the same method I use all the time when learning about something. Ask a question, then dig into the reasoning behind the answer instead of just accepting the answer as fact.

The only thing limiting GG now is herself. Will she really like living aboard? That's the question only she can answer, and even she cannot answer it yet because this is so new to her.

Like all new boaters she will learn. She will make mistakes, and some of them will be costly mistakes. We've all made them, even if we don't admit to it.

I wish her and her kids all the best in their new adventure.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

I never had a problem with her methods here. She would ask a question, and then question the responses. That's the same method I use all the time when learning about something. Ask a question, then dig into the reasoning behind the answer instead of just accepting the answer as fact.

The only thing limiting GG now is herself. Will she really like living aboard? That's the question only she can answer, and even she cannot answer it yet because this is so new to her.

Like all new boaters she will learn. She will make mistakes, and some of them will be costly mistakes. We've all made them, even if we don't admit to it.

You didn't find the $5000 thing a bit strange? I think that got her off to a bit of a strange start.

I think she's fine if she realizes her limitations and gets help from professionals when needed, choosing the right professionals.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #87
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You didn't find the $5000 thing a bit strange? I think that got her off to a bit of a strange start.

I think she's fine if she realizes her limitations and gets help from professionals when needed, choosing the right professionals.

I didn't take the 5k reward seriously, and it came after she'd been here for months asking questions.

I think honestly that there was some gender and situational bias going on. Few people take a single mom of five seriously. At least when it comes to big boat dreams. That bias is kinda understandable though. Not many single moms could pull this off.

I think she did great!
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 05-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #88
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #89
Guru

She's certainly made it interesting and she's been very open. Exposing oneself as she has is brave as well and often going to get negative feedback. As you follow her more you get a sense of just her style. Perhaps like many who might annoy you until you knew them better. She's sure gotten her share of attention. Still discussed here when she long ago stopped posting here. She appears to have found a very nice boat. I know not the economy of a true trawler, but well equipped and capable of handling some rougher conditions. Also, capable of doing a quicker run if crossing to or from the Bahamas and conditions change.

Whatever the cause of her problems here I'm sure part were of her doing, part were people here and some were probably just an issue of demographics and match. Female in a male dominated forum, perhaps. I'm more inclined to believe age might have accounted for some of the differences as she is much younger than most here. Then just attitudes toward risk and/or adventure. Sometimes the fit just isn't there.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #90
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
It's anything but a true trawler if indeed she bought it. A 63MY with twin 12v71's, 650hp a side. I know some people who are familiar with that boat in Mobile. Tellingly after a few hit and runs into the Hatteras Owners Forum, she avoided it in the end, bypassing people who really know these beasts, and would be dead honest with her, in favor for enablers on Cruisersforum who showed they know 0 about these boats. The saga will continue. A classic example of buying the biggest boat possible for the least amount of money. At least it has good bones.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It's anything but a true trawler if indeed she bought it. A 63MY with twin 12v71's, 650hp a side. I know some people who are familiar with that boat in Mobile. Tellingly after a few hit and runs into the Hatteras Owners Forum, she avoided it in the end, bypassing people who really know these beasts, and would be dead honest with her, in favor for enablers on Cruisersforum who showed they know 0 about these boats. The saga will continue. A classic example of buying the biggest boat possible for the least amount of money. At least it has good bones.
Yes, clearly some things she's been told are straight from a salesman. The one I loved was calling it a "fresh water boat." She's definitely headstrong and going to do what she wants in selecting a boat, in choosing who do have do work on it (which has already come up as an issue) and in choosing a captain (where I can only guess the ones she had pegged as her choices didn't materialize). But it's her boat, her way, her rights. Maybe they'll all work out for her. I hope so.

We certainly have made boat choices many would discourage. Just we did listen and then carefully evaluate what we were told and did extensive investigation. And we also weighed the advice based on experience of those giving it. And we involved the most knowledgeable and expert people we knew to assist us.

But people live their lives different ways and one way isn't inherently better than the others. I've known people who seem to do everything on impulse, listen to no one, don't ask questions, and it all works out perfectly. I know risk takers who just astonish me but they have excellent results.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I'm with Ksanders on this one. I'm pleased for her, and wish her well. The systematic way she has gone about it, even if it did seem a little drawn out, suggests she won't be rushing into any heroic stuff...she'll feel her way, good on her for seeing it through this far.
Some on here were a little less than charitable at times, but most quietly hoped it would work out I suspect. So let's just give her a silent cheer and hope all goes well.

I find it interesting the vessel she settled on in the end is very similar the the Cheoy Lee 65, which I always felt was one vessel close to her stated requirements. One thing's for sure, they will all now be on a steep learning curve..!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #93
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The bit I highlighted in red is scary. A recipe for a long list of repairs and replacements that could easily cost more than the boat. Or putting up with old & unreliable systems, and never knowing which is going to fail next and when. MacGyver is the Captain she will need.

If it is just a temporary boat pre-passagemaker then she might be able to keep it in 'reasonable for its age' condition and get some money for it come re-sale. I wish her well, but hope she still has plenty of cash after purchase. It will swallow cash, and it you dont spend then value drops pretty fast.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #94
Guru

GG had generated so much interest on the net maybe she can charge for the entertainment she has created. Its like a boat reality show. Maybe she can get some sponsors.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
GG had generated so much interest on the net maybe she can charge for the entertainment she has created. Its like a boat reality show. Maybe she can get some sponsors.
She is missing a great opportunity. Doesn't even have google ads on her website.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #96
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Just for the record, she did come by the Hatteras Owners Forum today to ask what the capacity of her boat was so she could fill out her FCC ship's license / MMSI form. I was very helpful.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #97
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Maybe her persistence at looking for a boat will morph into a 'blinders on' obsession to learn everything she can about her new boat.

If my wife and I had listened to all the naysayers who said our dream was crazy, stupid, and/or suicidal, we'd never have sea kayaked the coast of BC for six months...including a late October to late December leg along the north coast.

Dare to Dream
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #98
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Holy Crap !!!!! I havent been following this thread at all. I've been too busy working on this little 43' hatt MY. Dang ! she's got her work cut out for her. Keeping one of these old Hatts up is a lot of work. Just the bright work and waxing the gi-normous hull will kill ya. But, on the other hand, she has 5 crew members to wash and wax and clean isenglass. BTW, I hate to clean my isenglass. The Hatteras owners forum has helped me greatly. I have called George many times and even anchored next to him. The Hatteras owners forum will reach out to her if she is willing to learn. I knew nothing about large boats when I bought mine and had a very large learning curve. I didnt see any previous post she made so I hope for her sake she is humble. I wish her good luck.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #99
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The bit I highlighted in red is scary. A recipe for a long list of repairs and replacements that could easily cost more than the boat. Or putting up with old & unreliable systems, and never knowing which is going to fail next and when. MacGyver is the Captain she will need.

If it is just a temporary boat pre-passagemaker then she might be able to keep it in 'reasonable for its age' condition and get some money for it come re-sale. I wish her well, but hope she still has plenty of cash after purchase. It will swallow cash, and it you dont spend then value drops pretty fast.
I don't know.

What is the difference between her 1987 Hatteras and the majority of boats here on TF?

Most people here have older boats, and all older boats are pretty much the same. The Hatteras is probably one of the more well designed boats here.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #100
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
I don't know.

What is the difference between her 1987 Hatteras and the majority of boats here on TF?

Most people here have older boats, and all older boats are pretty much the same. The Hatteras is probably one of the more well designed boats here.
Giant two stroke diesels, real expensive heads and systems, the need for stabilizers offshore, plus 20 feet and 50,000 lbs or more?

pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote