Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #61
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
GG has come a long ways in little over a year from a newbie to making on offer on a 60 ft HAT, with children to support and take care off. I have been for her as my wife and I did sort of as same thing. We had a 5 bedroom house, with 3 children and 2 grandchildren living with us when we bought the Eagle. Being a bi/trans gender and small lake boating. 19 ft run about, experience we where not taken very serious. We bought the Eagle with no experience/knowledge of a 58 ft 40 ton long range trawler, but we want a dock side condo queen. Which is what GG is basically looking for at this time, to gain experience and knowledge. We had a goal and the means to reach that goal, and so does GG.

I am disappoint this forum that should be informing, helping and support newbie has little tolerance for them.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
GG has come a long ways in little over a year from a newbie to making on offer on a 60 ft HAT, with children to support and take care off. I have been for her as my wife and I did sort of as same thing. We had a 5 bedroom house, with 3 children and 2 grandchildren living with us when we bought the Eagle. Being a bi/trans gender and small lake boating. 19 ft run about, experience we where not taken very serious. We bought the Eagle with no experience/knowledge of a 58 ft 40 ton long range trawler, but we want a dock side condo queen. Which is what GG is basically looking for at this time, to gain experience and knowledge. We had a goal and the means to reach that goal, and so does GG.

I am disappoint this forum that should be informing, helping and support newbie has little tolerance for them.
I'm disappointed with rudeness shown anyone on the forum, but both sides have to share some blame. That's generally the case. Newbies generally do better when showing humility rather than arrogance and accepting advice rather than arguing with it. Honestly, I think the entire $5000 deal was a bit of a grandstand, attention seeking move and didn't help her. And questions asked with no background or context given are difficult. Had everyone read her entire blog prior they might have been better equipped to replay but that's no one's obligation so a motivation for her to communicate more as part of the question.

She also was looking to be given the answer she wanted to hear and she got that more on the other site. Some sites are better for each person than others. You ask the same questions to different groups of people and you'll get different responses. This site is likely to give a more conservative answer and express concerns. And that can be good. I frankly believe some of the answers from sailboaters fail to consider some aspects of motorboats and issues she'll face. But ultimately it's her task to digest it all, choose the forum she's most comfortable with, and wade through the answers.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #63
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, whatever you can say about GG, she sure provoked the hell out of a lot of folks here and on other forums.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #64
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Remember, this is, unfortunately, not always a friendly place.
That's putting it mildly. Someone made a comment somewhere about too much testosterone here. That pretty well sums it up.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I for one believe in GGs dream.

I was her, but a guy, a single parent with a little kid.

I dropped everything, left my life and moved to Alaska on a whim.

People thought I was nuts, but I did it anyway.

If you don't dream, then dreams can't come true.

At least she has money. I arrived in Alaska with the sum total of $231 in cash, and a job waiting for me. That was October 1990.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
At least she has money.
Kevin, initially I thought so too. But after awhile it began to seem otherwise as the boats became older, smaller and prices kept dropping.

But you are right, boating is for dreamers as well as those who feel they are realists. Look no further than the vessels sitting idle in the marinas for years on end.

GG will reappear on these pages, it will be fun.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #67
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
You GG apologists, go back and read those threads and reflect a little. Remember the boat in Tahiti? The insistence on a passage maker? The $5000 offer? Any attempt by her to return the favor of your time and effort with anything, say help on a real estate deal or anything else? The helpful posts she spit upon? A "taker" in its purest form. Talk about rose colored glasses...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #68
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
A "taker" in its purest form. Talk about rose colored glasses...
Well at least she knows who to turn to if she gets a Hatt 61. A very smart fellow Hatt owner!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #69
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Well at least she knows who to turn to if she gets a Hatt 61. A very smart fellow Hatt owner!
Hey, over on the HOF I already gave her the name of an outstanding mechanic to do her engine surveys and recommended an excellent Hatteras-expert fellow to orient, maintain and captain her boat while it was in Florida. How much of that was being a helpful boater and how much was just feeling sorry for the boat... I dunno...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #70
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Hey, over on the HOF I already gave her the name of an outstanding mechanic to do her engine surveys and recommended an excellent Hatteras-expert fellow to orient, maintain and captain her boat while it was in Florida. How much of that was being a helpful boater and how much was just feeling sorry for the boat... I dunno...
Now that right there is funny....
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #71
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm disappointed with rudeness shown anyone on the forum, but both sides have to share some blame. That's generally the case. Newbies generally do better when showing humility rather than arrogance and accepting advice rather than arguing with it. Honestly, I think the entire $5000 deal was a bit of a grandstand, attention seeking move and didn't help her. And questions asked with no background or context given are difficult. Had everyone read her entire blog prior they might have been better equipped to replay but that's no one's obligation so a motivation for her to communicate more as part of the question.

She also was looking to be given the answer she wanted to hear and she got that more on the other site. Some sites are better for each person than others. You ask the same questions to different groups of people and you'll get different responses. This site is likely to give a more conservative answer and express concerns. And that can be good. I frankly believe some of the answers from sailboaters fail to consider some aspects of motorboats and issues she'll face. But ultimately it's her task to digest it all, choose the forum she's most comfortable with, and wade through the answers.
I don't take it as rudeness. People on this forum own boats and take care of boats and know what boats do. This lady wants to get on a big boat with 5 kids. And potentially cross the Gulf Stream! If she or her captain were to go anywhere we have been they would likely run aground. We are trying to tell them! Don't run aground! Listen to us!
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
I don't take it as rudeness. People on this forum own boats and take care of boats and know what boats do. This lady wants to get on a big boat with 5 kids. And potentially cross the Gulf Stream! If she or her captain were to go anywhere we have been they would likely run aground. We are trying to tell them! Don't run aground! Listen to us!
Note I said I just disapproved of rudeness in general. Now was their rudeness toward her? Being fair, yes there was some. What was being said was justified, but how said at times may have crossed the line. Note that while you responded to the rudeness disapproval much of the post related to how and why and things she said or did to get the reactions she did and also as to the fact I'd expect the concern here and questioning of her based on membership. This isn't a take your family, buy a rowboat, sail around the world forum. She wanted agreement more than opinion. Doesn't work like that.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #73
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Note I said I just disapproved of rudeness in general. Now was their rudeness toward her? Being fair, yes there was some. What was being said was justified, but how said at times may have crossed the line. Note that while you responded to the rudeness disapproval much of the post related to how and why and things she said or did to get the reactions she did and also as to the fact I'd expect the concern here and questioning of her based on membership. This isn't a take your family, buy a rowboat, sail around the world forum. She wanted agreement more than opinion. Doesn't work like that.
+1
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #74

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
She Did It!

As you can see from the link attached Galaxy bought a boat today. It looks like a very nice one.
http://5kidsandaboat.com/i-bought-a-...t-a-boat-today
Congratulations to her for living her dream.
What say all the doubters on this forum now?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
As you can see from the link attached Galaxy bought a boat today. It looks like a very nice one.
I bought a boat today!!! | The Crazy Chronicles: 5 Kids and a Boat
Doesn't change that she was all over the place, asked questions but didn't like answers, and regularly contradicted herself. Finally settled on boat. Had captain lined up, then had two to choose from, now needing one.

Have nothing against unorthodox people at all, but they can be difficult to communicate with sometimes and it's not always the other person's fault. Currently appears boat in Alabama, wants to get it to Florida, then maybe the Bahamas before home to Boston. Wish her the best of luck. However, hope she does respect how much she has yet to learn and can avoid trouble. It's not like finding free houses.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #76
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I bought a boat today!!! | The Crazy Chronicles: 5 Kids and a Boat
That I'm grateful not to be married to her?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #77
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
What kind of anchor is that?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #78
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post

The wrong kind.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #79
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. d. "What kind of anchor is that?" I assume, in spite of the fact, your question followed a post mentioning marriage that it did not refer to the institution but rather Ms. GG's boat bling. So who gets the $5K finders fee?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #80
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That I'm grateful not to be married to her?
Or related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The wrong kind.
She actually did it. I gotta say I'd have lost money if there was a bet involved. All I can hope for is that she and the children have a great experience and learn a lot.

A four cabin Hatt is a lot of boat to handle, and a lot of systems to maintain. Good luck to her.