Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #41
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. e. "Dam that popcorn is making me hungry." Don't shoot the messenger....
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #42
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Technically, GG hasn't done 'it' yet. She is definitely a step closer, though. I think that after she closes on the hatteras, survives the refit and lives aboard for a year, then she can say she did it. I never doubted her ability or desire to live aboard. What I have always questioned is the dream of being a cruising livaboard vs. the reality of it. For some it works. For others not so much. When you livaboard lots of things change unexpectedly, especially with zero experience. I hope it works out for her.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
... no surprise since a lot of posters are from the foot loose gypsy freedom seeking live aboard contingent of boating.
ROFLMAO!!! Great line!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #44
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
E
She's all talk. And no, I doubt if she will ever break out of the confines of fear and actually BUY a boat. She likes dreaming, posting about it -- but the nitty gritty? Nope.

Of course I've been wrong before. (For proof, ask my ex-husband.)
Now that right there is funny.

Janice, you're one of the few people on this forum who's opinion I find comes from a genuine place.

dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Can't say I have spent time reading her blog, but it still appears that she and hers haven't done any boating yet. My guess is one of the first things we will hear is her surprise at how much such a big, heavy, stabilized boat moves around and up and down in any kind of sea. I've been underway on a 61MY in the Gulf; it is a stretched version of my hull. With stabilizers, it won't roll much, but it will pitch, yaw and heave. That should eventually lead to discovery of who in the family gets seasick.

We looked at two very nice 61's 7 years ago in the Tampa Bay area (I wonder if this is one of them), one of which we took on a brief sea trial. Huge amount of interiors space, 4 staterooms with 6 bunks and one queen or king beds, small secondary crew lounge/dinette below that most convert to an office, big galley up with large dinette, behind an enclosed pilot house that has very limited visibility. No protected walk around side decks aft of the pilot house (instead, ledges with a grab rail on the house like a sport fisher). One huge full width salon, very small exposed aft deck for line handling and swim platform access via ladder. Enormous flying bridge accessed by a ladder from the pilot house. Big foredeck with nice bench and big sun pad deck. The FB and foredeck area make it a really nice fair weather platform.

In foul weather, I think it will get crowded inside there with 5 kids, two adults and at least one captain. This is a boat that requires real skills to operate; I rejected the model due to the ergonomics of visibility and side decks, Ann rejected it for side decks, ladder to flying bridge, lack of useable aft deck as a separate, enclosable but outdoor-oriented living area. And it was just too darn big for us. Even after 6 /12 years with the 56, I know I would have a lot of difficulty handling one of these, though I put myself and Ann about a 5 on a scale of 10 on basic ability (too much ADD, dyslexia and lack of coordination) so I am sure a physically adept quick learner would do better.

Lastly, she will have to hire a captain, and I think it is very possible she will be shocked at how much it will cost to maintain the boat to any sort of standard, even if it surveys really well. She does seem to have a handle on fuel costs. I was as harsh as anyone on her and don't regret it one bit, I deeply dislike posters like her (and from past experience like them even less once I meet them in person) and it has nothing at all to do with gender. It is ironic she is moving towards a Hatteras, something i encouraged at one stage. I find it also ironic, though not surprising that she has not consulted the Hatteras Owners Forum more, where there a few very knowledgable owners of 61s and about every other model who would have given her the straight scoop on the good, bad and ugly.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #46
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
She has an agenda, and it's not HER buying a boat. She's got way too many "lines" in the water and way too many eager lonely men willing to "toss her a line", and are buying her story hook, line, and sinker. Time will tell, it always does. Just way too many things on way too many forums don't add up. It's not like there's not plenty of Yacht Brokers right there in Boston she could had every question answered IF she had just walked in their office in person. She's (or whatever) "fishing". How many private messages you think she's had, from lord knows how many guys?

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #47
Guru

If you are right about the agenda how many sober men would want to take on 5 kids mother-in-law and a high maintenance boat?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
If you are right about the agenda how many sober men would want to take on 5 kids mother-in-law and a high maintenance boat?
...send a picture of the boat!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #49
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I skimmed through her blog and might have missed what boat she has put an offer on. Anybody pick up on the make and size?
Could be wrong, but I thought it was a WWII LST.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #50

City: Nassau Bay, TX
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
...send a picture of the boat!
Now... That there is funny!!
bren737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I do hope if it's real and she gets her boat it all works out happily for her. Just hope she learns a little humility plus some means of learning things independently as well. Those I have seen struggle the most were those who were the cockiest. People think it's all easy so never really learn and continue to bounce off docks and boats and run aground. People who don't have a realistic idea of the maintenance involved. The sea seems to not care for arrogance and like sometimes to put it in it's place. On the other hand, confidence is essential but only up to the real skills and knowledge. We jumped into coastal cruising fast and deep but we came off years of smaller boat experience, lots of study, courses, and got an excellent trainer. To us, to have felt we could go out there as novices in larger boats and immediately do as well as those who have done it for decades, many professionally, is insulting to those who have spent many years learning. We've gotten a tremendous number of hours and days in now, but maybe the most important things to know are what you don't know or don't have experience in yet. We know South Florida very well. But we're hitting Alaska in June and all we know about it is from reading. So we'll listen to those with great experience in those waters and as a result have a much better time.

I hope she learns and it just doesn't have to be the hard way. She's certainly spent a lot of time getting to this point. And if it's not real, then I hope even living the fantasy has brought her pleasure and joy. But frankly I hope it's real and successful. We all deserve to live our dreams. Of course something other than what we dream of can sometimes be even better.

Me, doesn't matter how many days I've put in or what kind of license I have, compared to most here, I know I'm still a rookie. Well, maybe a sophomore now. But you are graduates with masters and doctorates of boating. And I want to keep learning from you.

A toast to Galaxy Girl just wishing her happiness. Plus we decided to sip a glass or two of champagne in bed tonight and it's tasty. Ooh, do you think my hubby has an ulterior motive.......hehe. Life is good. I wish all the best.

I do regret for her that she had the issues here, which I consider many of her own causing. Because I do think this was the ideal site for her to really learn what she needed to.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I've been reading GG's posts over on Cruisersforum and I just have to laugh. She wants to buy a vessel that burns 16 GPH but she cannot afford or take the time to fly down to Florida and meet with a few brokers and kick tires? I found myself shouting at my computer -- "Do you know what a haul out will cost? Bottom paint? Bottom cleaning? Marina transient fees? Arrgh!"

I agree with the others that she will quickly tire of all the work that it takes to live aboard a boat, especially with 5 kids. Her plans aren't clear to me other than possibly wanting to go to the Caribbean, but they will end up as either a dock queen, or hire a captain (again can she afford this?), or lookout mama if you see a 65 Hat pullin' into your marina! I've seen some dudes that were so old that they might not have known they were driving a boat do some pretty classic docking moves, but I'd give my left testicle (pardon me ladies) to see someone who comes off like that try to handle a boat that large.

Oh yeah, going straight to a 65' boat as your first goes against a rule of thumb that I happen to agree with: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, get the smallest boat you can live with.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
I've been reading GG's posts over on Cruisersforum and I just have to laugh. She wants to buy a vessel that burns 16 GPH but she cannot afford or take the time to fly down to Florida and meet with a few brokers and kick tires? I found myself shouting at my computer -- "Do you know what a haul out will cost? Bottom paint? Bottom cleaning? Marina transient fees? Arrgh!"

I agree with the others that she will quickly tire of all the work that it takes to live aboard a boat, especially with 5 kids. Her plans aren't clear to me other than possibly wanting to go to the Caribbean, but they will end up as either a dock queen, or hire a captain (again can she afford this?), or lookout mama if you see a 65 Hat pullin' into your marina! I've seen some dudes that were so old that they might not have known they were driving a boat do some pretty classic docking moves, but I'd give my left testicle (pardon me ladies) to see someone who comes off like that try to handle a boat that large.

Oh yeah, going straight to a 65' boat as your first goes against a rule of thumb that I happen to agree with: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, get the smallest boat you can live with.
Likely dock queen but perhaps that will still be pleasurable for her.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #54
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Evidently she has deep pockets. I get the feeling that many of us have enough to blow (enjoy!) on boating, but we are willing to spend time doing maintenance and upkeep ourselves to save money.

If I had the money for a 65' boat I'd probably buy a brand new Grand Banks 48 or Krogen and a 36' Grady White, and a 16' Whaler and enjoy all of them as much as possible. I'd keep the Grady and Whaler in forklift storage and pay to keep them in tip top condition. And with the money I saved I'd go skiing in Utah and eat my way through Italy and France, then spend some time in Greece and then charter a boat in Croatia.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #55
Guru

Just an observation. Don't think GG likes this forum. Not enough positive encouragement. I think there is a different general mentality here. Too much stop and think about what you are doing. The sailing and cruising forum is where she lurks and receives much more positive feed back for what she envisions. The bottom line it's her life her kids her money her choices, and for some reason she chooses to make it all public.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #56
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
She'll never make it to my cruising area. So I say, "Carry on!".
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Just an observation. Don't think GG likes this forum. Not enough positive encouragement. I think there is a different general mentality here. Too much stop and think about what you are doing. The sailing and cruising forum is where she lurks and receives much more positive feed back for what she envisions. The bottom line it's her life her kids her money her choices, and for some reason she chooses to make it all public.
I think you're right. I occasionally lurk at Cruisers Forum, and it is filled with people that just dropped everything and are making cruising a lifestyle.

I admit I envy them at times. Its an easy dream to have. Much along the same lines as being on vacation in hawaii and joking with the wife about how I could get a job handing out towles at a cabanna, and she could open up a sunglasses kisok.

The difference is, a significant number of their members actually did it. Yes, I do envy that lifestyle sometimes.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #58
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I missed all of the GG stuff, but anyone taking the plunge strait to a 61 Hat, man thats the hard way to learn! Never going past the survey is my guess. The haul out and survey will cost at least $2K for starters. Maybe this is for some new reality show.
On a slightly different topic, I had to laugh when I opened that CF link and this was at the top!
Attached Thumbnails
cruiserforum.jpg  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #59
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well we all have dreams, good example is me! I just sold my Sea Ray, paid off the loan for the dock and now I am debt free setting up for retirement and a cruising life!

If you work hard and with a little luck your dreams can come true. We all here on TF were rookies at one time and we learn by doing and asking advise. No one forces us to open a thread and read it. Sometimes we all need to look in the mirrior and learn patients.

A Sailor’s Poem

A small boy heard the ocean roar,
There are secrets on my distant shore,
But beware my child, the ships bell’s wail,
Wait not too long to start to sail.

So quickly come and go the years,
And a young adult stands abeach with fears,
Come on, Come on the ocean cussed,
Time passes on. Oh sail you must.

Now its business in mid-aged prime,
And maybe tomorrow there will be time,
Now is too soon, it’s raining today,
Gone all gone-years are eaten away.

An old man looks, still feeling the lure,
Yet he’ll suffer the pain, than go for the cure,
The hair is white, the steps with care,
The tide has turned, he is aware.

So all too soon the secrets are buried,
Along with him and all regrets he carried,
And it’s not for the loss of secrets he cried,
But rather because he’d never tried
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well we all have dreams,

A Sailor’s Poem
Of course, there is a different view (as there usually is)

Harp Song of the Dane Women

By Rudyard Kipling

What is a woman that you forsake her,
And the hearth-fire and the home-acre,
To go with the old grey Widow-maker?

She has no house to lay a guest in—
But one chill bed for all to rest in,
That the pale suns and the stray bergs nest in.

She has no strong white arms to fold you,
But the ten-times-fingering weed to hold you—
Out on the rocks where the tide has rolled you.

Yet, when the signs of summer thicken,
And the ice breaks, and the birch-buds quicken,
Yearly you turn from our side, and sicken—

Sicken again for the shouts and the slaughters.
You steal away to the lapping waters,
And look at your ship in her winter-quarters.

You forget our mirth, and talk at the tables,
The kine in the shed and the horse in the stables—
To pitch her sides and go over her cables.

Then you drive out where the storm-clouds swallow,
And the sound of your oar-blades, falling hollow,
Is all we have left through the months to follow.

Ah, what is Woman that you forsake her,
And the hearth-fire and the home-acre,
To go with the old grey Widow-maker ?