Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #201
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...I was never much for "yes men." I didn't hire them. If we went through your job interview and you never once disagreed with me, I didn't want you. I'd say things that you should disagree with intentionally and even get more outlandish if they didn't. I'd say, "Don't you agree" and some would just say "yes sir" over and over. I figured if they and I were going to say the same thing, then one of us was superfluous and it sure wasn't going to be me.
You have to be careful with that approach. You may find an employee you like, but he or she may be put off by your outlandish beliefs! Remember that interviews are a two way shopping process. As an interviewee I need to feel I can respect my prospective manager.

Richard
__________________
Advertisement

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #202
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
To the question posed to me, "why are you here":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
To market ActiveCaptain............
I'm sorry I missed this quip.

Seriously, is there anyone who falls upon these pages that isn't aware of ActiveCaptain and likely using it? OK, Mr Reiziger is part of the 5% who shun it and perhaps there are people who don't find it as useful. Gosh, even Coke only gets, at best, 50% of the market. They'd dream of having our marketshare. But if anything, my postings here don't help ActiveCaptain, do they? I've gotten multiple PMs from people here over years telling me how I'm hurting ActiveCaptain by my postings.

I'm really not here because of ActiveCaptain. I'm here because I've been a trawler cruiser for the last 13+ years on M/V aCappella. And heck, for the first time in those 13 years, we have a new purchase agreement on another boat that will require a fair amount of updating if all the surveys go through in May. It's a steel boat and I have nearly no steel experience but I'm sure there are a few here who do.
__________________

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #203
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
You have to be careful with that approach. You may find an employee you like, but he or she may be put off by your outlandish beliefs! Remember that interviews are a two way shopping process. As an interviewee I need to feel I can respect my prospective manager.

Richard
They aren't outlandish beliefs, they're wrong answers to business situations. I tell them soon I was just being a Devil's Advocate. But I'd ask hard questions anytime an employee made a proposal to me. They knew it so as a result they asked them all before talking to me. But once they showed they'd thought through it and could defend it, I'd not delay but just say, "Ok, go do it." If you can't accept having your ideas challenged, then we just won't work out. My record is that the people I hire do work out but one reason is my interview is challenging.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #204
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They aren't outlandish beliefs, they're wrong answers to business situations. I tell them soon I was just being a Devil's Advocate. But I'd ask hard questions anytime an employee made a proposal to me. They knew it so as a result they asked them all before talking to me. But once they showed they'd thought through it and could defend it, I'd not delay but just say, "Ok, go do it." If you can't accept having your ideas challenged, then we just won't work out. My record is that the people I hire do work out but one reason is my interview is challenging.
Fair enough. It sounds like they were treated with respect during the interview process.
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #205
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Fair enough. It sounds like they were treated with respect during the interview process.
If they had no chance for the job and I knew that early, I didn't put them through a lot of questions. If I'd made my decision why waste my time and theirs.

The point of all that was that if a newcomer comes on a board like this I'd think they'd want to be challenged a bit. Be told where their plan had flaws or their knowledge was lacking and how to fix that. I think a bunch of cheerleaders asking no real questions puts them in harm's way. It seems like every day almost we read about another sailboater needing CG assistance. In their spirit of adventure, they're going out in conditions they shouldn't and/or without needed crew or they're just in a boat not capable of handling the conditions. They were often encouraged just to go for it, not to worry about any of those things.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #206
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
To the question posed to me, "why are you here":



I'm really not here because of ActiveCaptain. I'm here because I've been a trawler cruiser for the last 13+ years on M/V aCappella. And heck, for the first time in those 13 years, we have a new purchase agreement on another boat that will require a fair amount of updating if all the surveys go through in May. It's a steel boat and I have nearly no steel experience but I'm sure there are a few here who do.
So you ARE here for the right reasons and not just to start an argument???

<<The fact is, everyone who posts here likes it too(argument) - you would have left a long time ago otherwise.>>

I think Mr. PSN nailed it on this post:
<<GG WAS a lightning rod and how you view her purpose or existence in the world is how you perceive the other 99.999999999 percent of the world.>>

So maybe your view of this forum is your view of the rest of the world???..... I believe you are just pissed that I beat you to it!!!!

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people on this forum are here for the right reasons....the exchange of information of a common interest...in this case, trawlers/boats. They aren't here just to argue. I am not here just to argue. And I hope you really aren't here just to argue. The people that WERE here just to argue, are not here anymore.

Their are some "eccentric" characters on here. But they generally behave and it is just a few. The caustic ******** have been removed....for the most part. And if you see anyone being a caustic *******, please feel free to use the report button on the lower left.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #207
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If they had no chance for the job and I knew that early, I didn't put them through a lot of questions. If I'd made my decision why waste my time and theirs.

The point of all that was that if a newcomer comes on a board like this I'd think they'd want to be challenged a bit. Be told where their plan had flaws or their knowledge was lacking and how to fix that. I think a bunch of cheerleaders asking no real questions puts them in harm's way. It seems like every day almost we read about another sailboater needing CG assistance. In their spirit of adventure, they're going out in conditions they shouldn't and/or without needed crew or they're just in a boat not capable of handling the conditions. They were often encouraged just to go for it, not to worry about any of those things.
I completely agree with you that there's no value coming to a forum like this to ask questions expecting only to hear the answers you want to hear. And if many people are giving you the same advice then it's worth taking note...

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #208
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Heck, you are lucky to keep the thread on track long enough that people remember your initial question.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #209
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
I'm surprised that so many seem to have been offended when/if/because their advice might not have been taken.


Someone asks me for advice, and if it's something I have a clue about... I'm usually OK with passing on what I've learned, what I think, an opinion, whatever...


But then I don't much care whether the supplicant agrees or not, follows my advice or not, learns from it or not... That (caring) isn't part of my job in that whole equation.


Assuming there's no real impact on folks here and in similar fora, why get so invested in what somebody else is trying to do? They're grown-ups (or at least probably wannabees, or similar), they oughta be able to decide for themselves...


-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #210
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
...why get so invested in what somebody else is trying to do?
Because when you're from a certain generation, girls aren't allowed to tell you that your advice is fa-ka-ka.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #211
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Because when you're from a certain generation, girls aren't allowed to tell you that your advice is fa-ka-ka.

Haven't noticed the phenomenon relevant only to girls.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #212
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Not quite sure what generation that is....

Other than the pig-headed one that spans millenia...but none in particular.

Like most generalizations on TF.....it will bring out someone that will disagree.....no matter who or what sex....or generation.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #213
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Like most generalizations on TF Insert: Not just on TF. .....it will bring out someone that will disagree.....no matter who or what sex....or generation.
Generalizations by their very nature have many exceptions and when they're used to categorize people, then that is a problem.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #214
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not quite sure what generation that is....

Other than the pig-headed one that spans millenia...but none in particular.

Like most generalizations on TF.....it will bring out someone that will disagree.....no matter who or what sex....or generation.


First off, It wasn't about sex or generation. At least not if you read all of her posts.

Second, I admire what she was trying to do for and with her kids, just not the way she went about it.

Thirdly, she may do very well in California. My experience is that west coast people are generally very polite and very indirect. People in the northeast are very helpful and direct.

That's my experience, your experience may be different.

Lastly, she installed and was running block heaters on both engines all winter.

That boggles my mind, but doesn't surprise me. It should not surprise you either if you have read the 3,000 posts that were made before she realized that TF was not full on sycophants.
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #215
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,670
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Well, one thing you can say without fear of contradiction, (even on here I think), is GG certainly entertained, and sure did create a thread where folk got a heck of a lot of baggage thoughts off their collective chests...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #216
Guru
 
bligh's Avatar
 
City: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I'd say things that you should disagree with intentionally and even get more outlandish if they didn't. I'd say, "Don't you agree" and some would just say "yes sir" over and over. .
Please give an example or two.
__________________

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012