Old 08-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

City: CA
Relocate to WA state?'s

We may have an opportunity to relocate from Mommie-fornia to Washington state.
I recall reading Marin's take on the current state of affairs in the Seattle area, somewhat pessimistic as I remember, but honest.

The area in ? is Issaquah. My wife and I are curious about the area, housing, land, weather, crime etc.

We currently own a home and 3 car finished garage on 10 acres of wooded oaks and would like to purchase something smaller, yet rural and with some level land. We are such pack Rats that it may take a year to ready this place for sale.

I have read housing is out of sight in the Seattle area. This city looks to be 70 or so miles east of Seattle. Is real estate very high there?

I do not want to spend my boat money on a huge dirt home, but the old saying happy wife = happy life. So some compromise would be in order.

Anyway comment away please while I go off to Goggle WA state everything.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I spent a long weekend exploring the Olympic peninsula with friends whom are lifelong Wa residents. Wooded property in abundance with homes of all flavors. Greater Sequim and Shelton areas are on our current shortlist.

If you'll be employed or retired comes into play. Good luck with your pursuit.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
This should give you a general idea about house prices in Issaquah:

Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US

Note: If you're into paragliding they have some nice flying areas close by on Tiger mountain.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Issaquah is nice, built a lot of stuff up there. For boating though, I'd look closer to the sound. Bothell, Woodinville, Arlington, Probably similar price range as Issaquah.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
If you are coming from CA, define 'ridiculous' house price?
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
First of all, will you be working when you move up here? If you have to work, the choice of where to live will be dictated by where you will work. Traffic in the Tacoma to Everett corridor is as bad or worse than anyplace in the US. So for simple quality of life, drive times have to be taken into account.

If you are retired, or work from home, then you have lots of options. Not sure why you chose Issaquah but there are lots of other places that I would probably look at first. Not that the Issaquah area isn't nice. Zillow can give you an idea of current housing prices.

Now, if work or family aren't keeping you close to Issaquah, I would suggest looking at the Kitsap peninsula. There are lots of areas on the West side of Puget Sound where you can find decent sized lots for less money. The quality of life is good, the traffic is not so bad, and you are close to the water. Seattle is a short ferry ride away and Tacoma is easy with the Narrows Bridge. So if you want the big city, you can get to it easily enough.

I live West of Tacoma and only 2 1/2 miles from my primary office and am only a 15 minute easy drive to my boat in Gig Harbor. If I were looking to relocate, my biggest concern would be to find a place where I didn't have to drive on I-5, I-405, or I-90. It is hard to describe how truly horrendous traffic is in this area.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Is it possible to take the train into Seattle from Tacoma for work?
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #8

The house I sold in 2006

Was a 3/2 on 3/4 an acre in a small community 40 miles east of Sacramento at 1300 feet for $409,000. I paid $97,000 for it in 1986.

I over paid for my current manufactured home, with 3 car garage and finished loft on 10 acres of wooded Oaks @ $525,000. We put a lot of our profit into our down payment here.

The county has us assessed at half that and real estate prices are down in our area. But I have at least $200K in equity as I make double payments.

I would like to purchase another hobby ranch/farm but do not want a lot of debt at my age. (62)

We are unsure if we will sell here or rent it out. It is all very dicey to rent IMO.

I have about $100K in cash so that would play into a down payment/moving etc. And my boat will have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
If you are coming from CA, define 'ridiculous' house price?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

My son was in the USN based out of Bremerton,

So we experienced your traffic first hand. We actually took the tube from Seattle to Bremerton. That was pleasant.

I would like to remain retired but am able to go back to work. The big $$ job is for my wife in the town mentioned.

So figure a 50 mile or so radius around the town, with acreage. And Zillow shows a lot of dogs for a lot of money.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
First of all, will you be working when you move up here? If you have to work, the choice of where to live will be dictated by where you will work. Traffic in the Tacoma to Everett corridor is as bad or worse than anyplace in the US. So for simple quality of life, drive times have to be taken into account.

If you are retired, or work from home, then you have lots of options. Not sure why you chose Issaquah but there are lots of other places that I would probably look at first. Not that the Issaquah area isn't nice. Zillow can give you an idea of current housing prices.

Now, if work or family aren't keeping you close to Issaquah, I would suggest looking at the Kitsap peninsula. There are lots of areas on the West side of Puget Sound where you can find decent sized lots for less money. The quality of life is good, the traffic is not so bad, and you are close to the water. Seattle is a short ferry ride away and Tacoma is easy with the Narrows Bridge. So if you want the big city, you can get to it easily enough.

I live West of Tacoma and only 2 1/2 miles from my primary office and am only a 15 minute easy drive to my boat in Gig Harbor. If I were looking to relocate, my biggest concern would be to find a place where I didn't have to drive on I-5, I-405, or I-90. It is hard to describe how truly horrendous traffic is in this area.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
The big $$ job is for my wife in the town mentioned.

So figure a 50 mile or so radius around the town, with acreage. And Zillow shows a lot of dogs for a lot of money.

Thanks.

Not certain of the area but Olympic peninsula I'd definitely tighten that up to 25 miles. Here in California 50 miles is an hour or less, this weekend we discovered 50 miles could easily be close to 2 hours without traffic.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #11

Born in SOCAL, lived Orange Cty and commuted to all over LA

And I was a road warrior in NOCAL for 24 years. Up and down 99, 5 and 80 from Bakersfield, Frisco, Redding, Tahoe and Reno.

Traffic in every little town along the way. Before cell phones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Not certain of the area but Olympic peninsula I'd definitely tighten that up to 25 miles. Here in California 50 miles is an hour or less, this weekend we discovered 50 miles could easily be close to 2 hours without traffic.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
The Issaquah that I am familiar with is the East Border of the Seattle/Bellevue metro and certainly not 70 miles from downtown Seattle. It is barely East of Lake Washington and I405 and on I90.
If your wife is to be working in Issaquah and you are wanting to have a little acreage, I would concentrate my search just East of there for an easy commute and relatively affordable land. I would look at the little towns of Fall City, Carnation, North Bend and Duvall, and surrounding area. I would look for a property that had a homesite just out of the Snoqualmie flood plain and the land in the flood plain. If you like critters, most of these places have what's called a critter pad raised up to keep them dry until the floods recede. Sounds odd I know, but seems to work and pretty common.
Be prepared to do battle with the blackberry bushes which grow wild everywhere.
This would seem to be a pretty workable plan, not a bad commute to where you could keep a boat if you avoid the heavy traffic times of the day. I travel this route almost weekly and if you time it right you can survive it. Bring your rain gear.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin was not the least bit honest. He was trying to keep more people from moving to Washington.

Or he was saying what he said to be funny.

Marin is/was way too late. There are already way too many people here. But I can't understand why many more people are'nt moving here when I watch TV and hear all the terrible weather reports. I can't imagine people stAying where there is terrible storms and heat. Maybe it's a "can't happen to me" syndrome. But the weather here is wonderful compared to any other place in the continental US.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
The Issaquah that I am familiar with is the East Border of the Seattle/Bellevue metro and certainly not 70 miles from downtown Seattle. It is barely East of Lake Washington and I405 and on I90.
If your wife is to be working in Issaquah and you are wanting to have a little acreage, I would concentrate my search just East of there for an easy commute and relatively affordable land. I would look at the little towns of Fall City, Carnation, North Bend and Duvall, and surrounding area. I would look for a property that had a homesite just out of the Snoqualmie flood plain and the land in the flood plain.
I would second what Klee wyck said. If your wife is working in Issaquah then you need to be in this area.

Issaquah is just a suburb 12 miles East of downtown Seattle. Housing prices drop as you go east from Issaquah and it's more rural.

Yes, watch out for low lands which are subject to flooding. Out to the North Bend area is an easy commute into Issaquah with minimal traffic.

But the further east you go, you're getting up into the mountains which means more rain and significant snow. So anything North Bend east is almost guaranteed snow during the winter months. Very pretty area though.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #15

Thanks for all that

I just printed your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
If your wife is to be working in Issaquah and you are wanting to have a little acreage, I would concentrate my search just East of there for an easy commute and relatively affordable land. I would look at the little towns of Fall City, Carnation, North Bend and Duvall, and surrounding area. I would look for a property that had a homesite just out of the Snoqualmie flood plain and the land in the flood plain. If you like critters, most of these places have what's called a critter pad raised up to keep them dry until the floods recede. Sounds odd I know, but seems to work and pretty common.
Be prepared to do battle with the blackberry bushes which grow wild everywhere.
This would seem to be a pretty workable plan, not a bad commute to where you could keep a boat if you avoid the heavy traffic times of the day. I travel this route almost weekly and if you time it right you can survive it. Bring your rain gear.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
Is it possible to take the train into Seattle from Tacoma for work?

Yes, it is. Bus connections to and from the train stations are pretty good and there are outlying park and ride lots for the busses. Again, it is all personal preference, but an hour or more commute each way is not something that I would chose to do if there were any options.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I would second what Klee wyck said. If your wife is working in Issaquah then you need to be in this area.

Issaquah is just a suburb 12 miles East of downtown Seattle. Housing prices drop as you go east from Issaquah and it's more rural.

Yes, watch out for low lands which are subject to flooding. Out to the North Bend area is an easy commute into Issaquah with minimal traffic.

But the further east you go, you're getting up into the mountains which means more rain and significant snow. So anything North Bend east is almost guaranteed snow during the winter months. Very pretty area though.

I agree. If your wife is working in Issaquah, look East of there. You should be able to find something.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Relocate to WA state?'s

I have lived in the Seattle area for more than 20 years. I recently moved closer (East Redmond to West Bellevue) to get out of the very bad suburban traffic jams. Sure, it is more expensive housing, but I now spend far less time in traffic than before. And I am retired so I can choose when I go. If you are traveling anywhere during rush hour(s), you will get caught in very bad traffic constantly, and it seems worse in the suburbs as growth has outpaced road capacity.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Ditto what Nomad Willy says. Like so many things in life it all depends. On any number of things. I left Seattle in 1989 for Skagit County and never looked back and rarely go there unless pressed. As others have said, traffic on I-5 and the other interstates is or at least can be a nightmare, especially it seems between Olympia and Tacoma, but you are not looking there. As for across the sound,,unless you like having to pay big bucks to ride the ferry everyday with all that entails, forget it. It double any commute time you would have. I know lots of people do it, but I cannot imagine doing it. BTW, the ferries are subsidized by the taxpayers to make it more affordable for those that CHOSE to ride the boats back and forth to work. This galls the hell out of me! They keep the boats under the State Highway System to get us all to pay for them even though we don't use them but for very occasional recreation or vacations or whatever. Its a giant rip off for the taxpayers. And yes, Issaquah is lots closer to Seattle than 70 miles.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
I grew up in the North Bend, Carnation, Duvall area. It does flood there...alot. Also the traffic is beyond awful as it is two lanes in and two lanes out, lower home prices have it going over the top in population density. If I had to pick a poison it would be in North Bend and on the high ground.

Bob