Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Hi Big Jim,

Since I am out on the Olympic Peninsula, and you received detailed advice on Issaquah, I will be broad. We relocated here 2 years ago - I have previously lived in the Midwest, South Florida, and the lovely LA basin.

We enjoy WA very much overall. Our weather, though slightly different from Seattle, has not often been too hot or too cold. I sold my snowblower and really don't need an air conditioner. Yes, there is rain - we don't usually leave the house without a hat and jacket, but we prefer it to tropical humidity or snow up to my shoulders. Much like California, the area is diverse in that you can do the big city things or the country things in the same day. There are abundant parks and mountains. The boating, no secret here, is some of the most desirable in North America. We are welcomed in nearby BC where the culture is also rich and the exchange rate favourable. There is no state income tax.

Would we choose the Northwest again? Certainly!

Good Luck,

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Hi Big Jim,

Since I am out on the Olympic Peninsula, and you received detailed advice on Issaquah, I will be broad. We relocated here 2 years ago - I have previously lived in the Midwest, South Florida, and the lovely LA basin.

We enjoy WA very much overall. Our weather, though slightly different from Seattle, has not often been too hot or too cold. I sold my snowblower and really don't need an air conditioner. Yes, there is rain - we don't usually leave the house without a hat and jacket, but we prefer it to tropical humidity or snow up to my shoulders. Much like California, the area is diverse in that you can do the big city things or the country things in the same day. There are abundant parks and mountains. The boating, no secret here, is some of the most desirable in North America. We are welcomed in nearby BC where the culture is also rich and the exchange rate favourable. There is no state income tax.

Would we choose the Northwest again? Certainly!

Oh, no! Now you have done it.

Don't listen to Irene! It rains here all the time! You will grow moss between your toes after the first winter. The state color is "cloud gray". 😉

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I think the cat is out of the bag..
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
David you're last name is'nt Fare is it?

78, Most cats drown up here.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #25
Guru

Speaking of cats! We came back from Sitka on my dads tug, in summer of 66 and the weather pretty much sucked the whole way down to Seattle. We had a cat that spent the whole summer with us on land and sea. When we made the Ballard Locks, the cat just up and vanished. We never saw him again. Guess he had enough of boating!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Lots of good advice! I have a love/hate relationship with Seattle. Love all, the great stuff/hate the traffic and recent development. That's progress I guess.

Good luck to you!
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #27
GT6
Veteran Member

City: Fall City
Jim,
Let me tell you about our experience...

We started coming up here in 1990. By 1994 we were renting a cabin on a lake for a couple weeks a summer. By 1996 we were spending the whole summers here, and usually making a New Years trip too. Started because good friends moved here. As time went on, we made our own friends here, mostly through the vintage sports car clubs.
As our three kids got older, with more summer commitments, we scaled back our visits, but came up at least once a year. Wanted to move here in the '90's, but my job as an airline pilot meant a commute by air, something I didn't want to do. So, we lived 110 miles south of LAX. After the kids were gone, we spent a couple years in Sonoma county, then when our daughter got a college professor job here, we moved as well. That was just this last February.

We looked and looked, but our wants & needs are fairly unique. I'm a car guy, mostly vintage British sports cars and vintage race cars. My wife, while she has her own race car, is mostly into animals. Chickens, sheep, pigs, etc... And organic vegetable gardening. So, we needed some space.

Not finding anything that suited our needs, and was also a nice house, we decided to build a custom home on acreage. We bought five acres in Fall City, and are living in our large RV while we build. Yes, it's different! My 911 is parked in a tent garage, her BMW sits out in the rain. The race & vintage cars are in car trailer here, or in storage. I have no shop, which is a problem... We're building a nice custom home, a great barn, and a decent shop. Just takes time and $$$...

We chose Fall City because it is very convenient to Issaquah, without the stigma of tract house developments. All custom homes, most on acreage. We're 12 minutes from downtown Issaquah. 20 minutes from Bellevue. Half an hour from downtown Seattle. Perfect!

If you would like to discuss more, please feel free to message me. After visiting here for 25 years, we've got a pretty good handle on what's where, and where you do or do not want to live.

Disclaimer: I do not commute to Seattle, Bellevue or anywhere to work.

Ed
GT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:43 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I can't advise you specifically on housing in the area, but a couple of points. First, Marin only likes his dog so I'd digest his take on an area with a grain or more of salt. Second, a lot of people who live in all those areas love them. There is not a mass exodus of people wanting to leave the area by any means.

Now, why not rent rather than buy? Houses are not appreciating like they once did. You made two purchases, one at a time and place that appreciated greatly, the other eating the profit from the first. How long do you intend to be there? I would look at potential houses to buy, but I'd also look at current rental prices for houses, apartments and condos. That might well allow you to get a boat while dealing with your current house. If you had the flexibility and time to buy in an outlying area that people and industry are moving toward and could hold the house for 10 years or more, the potential gain would be great, but even then if you took the profit you'd have to spend it on a replacement. However, if you're buying within a fully developed area and/or your expected time there is less than 10 years, you aren't likely to experience a great gain.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
.. But the weather here is wonderful compared to any other place in the continental US.
Hawaiian Island and San Diego residences most likely would argue with you.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:27 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hawaiian Island and San Diego residences most likely would argue with you.
Wifey B: I'd choose South Florida, Hawaii and San Diego. I like bikini weather. Choosing the ideal climate is such a personal thing. It's harder than choosing an anchor.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #31

City: CA
I like the idea of renting as well

However, believe it or not my wife of 35 years has a pet milk Goat that she treats better than our three dogs and three cats. The Goat GOES!!

And I operate radios in the Ham bands and have seven or so antenna's in the air. Hence our desire for some land. I am unsure if rentals would allow animals and an antenna farm.

Wife is on the phone now with the head hunter, sounds like the money might not be what we need. She has a Masters in nursing and they are offering way less than she currently makes in Po-dunk, here. I thought the Seattle area would have paid much better.

And wow, the property taxes in WA are high!
We pay 1% of assessed value here in Mommie-fornia.

I spent the day on Zillow and was saddened by the properties I saw in our price range and that is <400K with 5 acres or more. As I wrote, I really do not want to go back to heavily in debt.

Homes and land in our current area are priced all over the map. Some are up, some are down. And I am really concerned about renting this place out.

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I can't advise you specifically on housing in the area, but a couple of points. First, Marin only likes his dog so I'd digest his take on an area with a grain or more of salt. Second, a lot of people who live in all those areas love them. There is not a mass exodus of people wanting to leave the area by any means.

Now, why not rent rather than buy? Houses are not appreciating like they once did. You made two purchases, one at a time and place that appreciated greatly, the other eating the profit from the first. How long do you intend to be there? I would look at potential houses to buy, but I'd also look at current rental prices for houses, apartments and condos. That might well allow you to get a boat while dealing with your current house. If you had the flexibility and time to buy in an outlying area that people and industry are moving toward and could hold the house for 10 years or more, the potential gain would be great, but even then if you took the profit you'd have to spend it on a replacement. However, if you're buying within a fully developed area and/or your expected time there is less than 10 years, you aren't likely to experience a great gain.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

Thanks all.

There are also increases assessed for waterfront, water view and partial view(directly impacts our property choices). The lack of a personal income tax and ridiculously low vehicle registration are in the plus category though. Fuel prices are roughly 20-40 cents per gallon higher there too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #33
GT6
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks all.

You probably pay closer to 1.27% in CA. Not all that different from here, but remember there is no state income tax in WA. And it costs about $50 to register a car here...

I spent the day on Zillow and was saddened by the properties I saw in our price range and that is <400K with 5 acres or more. As I wrote, I really do not want to go back to heavily in debt.

Yes, you'll need to pay more, unless you go a couple hours away from Seattle. Our five acres cost $350k, and it will cost at least another $800-900k to build a house, shop & barn. But, a similar property within a half hour or so of SF or LA would be a couple million $$$ easily when done.

Homes and land in our current area are priced all over the map. Some are up, some are down. And I am really concerned about renting this place out.

I think you're in the gold country? Prices are very cheap for the quality of life you have. That's one of the few areas I would move back to CA for. Plus, you've got the oaks, and little traffic...
If you don't have a compelling reason to move here, such as the boating / fishing scene, grandkids, etc. might as well stay where you are.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
However, believe it or not my wife of 35 years has a pet milk Goat that she treats better than our three dogs and three cats. The Goat GOES!!

And I operate radios in the Ham bands and have seven or so antenna's in the air. Hence our desire for some land. I am unsure if rentals would allow animals and an antenna farm.

Wife is on the phone now with the head hunter, sounds like the money might not be what we need. She has a Masters in nursing and they are offering way less than she currently makes in Po-dunk, here. I thought the Seattle area would have paid much better.

Thanks all.
One thing that is common is where cost of living is less, then so are salaries. California wages are going to be hard to match.

As to rentals, there are sometimes rural ones available.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #35

City: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post

You probably pay closer to 1.27% in CA. Not all that different from here, but remember there is no state income tax in WA. And it costs about $50 to register a car here...

Yes, you'll need to pay more, unless you go a couple hours away from Seattle. Our five acres cost $350k, and it will cost at least another $800-900k to build a house, shop & barn. But, a similar property within a half hour or so of SF or LA would be a couple million $$$ easily when done.

I think you're in the gold country? Prices are very cheap for the quality of life you have. That's one of the few areas I would move back to CA for. Plus, you've got the oaks, and little traffic...
If you don't have a compelling reason to move here, such as the boating / fishing scene, grandkids, etc. might as well stay where you are.
El Dorado County, 4 miles from Sutter's Mill, where Marshall discovered Gold.

We want out of CA because of the entitlement mentality, stupid CARB and more stupid gun laws. And neither of us like the three months of 95+ degree heat. I pay $400+ to register my 06, F250, $375 for my wife's Acura and I have to smog my 1977 Landcruiser that I drive 100 miles per year!

We have one kid living in Portland and one in Kirkland, so the PNW seems the place to be.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #36
GT6
Veteran Member

Ha! We have one in Portland and two in Bellevue... Grandkids (little) are in Bellevue.
Your reasons are right in line why we left CA, and so many other people do as well. It's gone so wacky left that it just doesn't make sense.
We moved our company here, taking the jobs with us.
Be careful where you move to, WA also has smog checks, but only in certain zip codes. My town, does not fall into that, but towns literally surrounding us do.

Obviously, if you're looking here, places like San Diego, Florida, etc., are clearly not what you're interested in. Keep scouting, you'll probably need to spend a little bit more, but you'll find what you want...
Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #37
Guru

A couple of actual numbers. These are averages based on the last 10-12 years.

Average number of people moving into CA from other states per year-390,000.

Average number of people moving out of CA to other states per year-500,000

Average increase in CA population per year-500,000. One can then calculate that births plus people moving in from other countries exceeds deaths plus people moving to other countries by 610,000 per year.

Now the state to which the most CA people move to is TX. So, average number of people moving CA to TX-60,000. Average number of people moving TX to CA-35,000.

I'm not getting into the politics or the reasons why or how I feel about them. Just thought these facts would be interesting in this discussion.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
Guru

I used to call Seattle, San Francisco light per its politics. I now call it San Francisco North! Seattle politics are left of Lenin! Its become total loonyville, which is why I left it over 25 years ago. WA state is slowly but surely becoming CA north. The whole left coast is getting loopy in my view. But the moderate weather will keep me here if nothing else does.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
El Dorado County, 4 miles from Sutter's Mill, where Marshall discovered Gold.

We want out of CA because of the entitlement mentality, stupid CARB and more stupid gun laws. And neither of us like the three months of 95+ degree heat. I pay $400+ to register my 06, F250, $375 for my wife's Acura and I have to smog my 1977 Landcruiser that I drive 100 miles per year!

We have one kid living in Portland and one in Kirkland, so the PNW seems the place to be.
In King or Pierce county, you still will face emissions testing on any vehicle less than 25 years old. While the registration of a vehicle is cheap, there is an excise tax that gets paid with the registration each year. For newer, more expensive cars (and boats) this can be significant. For older cars (and boats) it is cheap. The Tacoma to Everett corridor is very similar politically to much of CA. Not so the rest of the state.

I think the PNW is great, and since you have family here is just an added bonus.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #40
Guru

From Olympia to Everett, all loopy left. Skagit Co. is still OK for now, Whatcom is going loopy left too now, at least Bellingham and surrounds. Even Spokane is going that way now. While there is no income tax now, it comes up about every year and they try again to pass it with all sorts of promises to cut other taxes but its a lie. Once a tax always a tax. We have had morons for a Gov for years now and no end in sight. Both our US Senators are complete idiots, Murray and Cantwell, real morons. My Congressman is a lightweight too, Rick Larsen. Used to be OK on some things, now just another lefty. But that's just politics I guess. I know the OP didn't ask about it.