Relocate to WA state?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the idea of renting as well

However, believe it or not my wife of 35 years has a pet milk Goat that she treats better than our three dogs and three cats. The Goat GOES!!

And I operate radios in the Ham bands and have seven or so antenna's in the air. Hence our desire for some land. I am unsure if rentals would allow animals and an antenna farm.

Wife is on the phone now with the head hunter, sounds like the money might not be what we need. She has a Masters in nursing and they are offering way less than she currently makes in Po-dunk, here. I thought the Seattle area would have paid much better.

And wow, the property taxes in WA are high!
We pay 1% of assessed value here in Mommie-fornia.

I spent the day on Zillow and was saddened by the properties I saw in our price range and that is <400K with 5 acres or more. As I wrote, I really do not want to go back to heavily in debt.

Homes and land in our current area are priced all over the map. Some are up, some are down. And I am really concerned about renting this place out.

Thanks all.

I can't advise you specifically on housing in the area, but a couple of points. First, Marin only likes his dog so I'd digest his take on an area with a grain or more of salt. Second, a lot of people who live in all those areas love them. There is not a mass exodus of people wanting to leave the area by any means.

Now, why not rent rather than buy? Houses are not appreciating like they once did. You made two purchases, one at a time and place that appreciated greatly, the other eating the profit from the first. How long do you intend to be there? I would look at potential houses to buy, but I'd also look at current rental prices for houses, apartments and condos. That might well allow you to get a boat while dealing with your current house. If you had the flexibility and time to buy in an outlying area that people and industry are moving toward and could hold the house for 10 years or more, the potential gain would be great, but even then if you took the profit you'd have to spend it on a replacement. However, if you're buying within a fully developed area and/or your expected time there is less than 10 years, you aren't likely to experience a great gain.

Thanks all.

There are also increases assessed for waterfront, water view and partial view(directly impacts our property choices). The lack of a personal income tax and ridiculously low vehicle registration are in the plus category though. Fuel prices are roughly 20-40 cents per gallon higher there too.

Thanks all.

You probably pay closer to 1.27% in CA. Not all that different from here, but remember there is no state income tax in WA. And it costs about $50 to register a car here...

I spent the day on Zillow and was saddened by the properties I saw in our price range and that is <400K with 5 acres or more. As I wrote, I really do not want to go back to heavily in debt.

Yes, you'll need to pay more, unless you go a couple hours away from Seattle. Our five acres cost $350k, and it will cost at least another $800-900k to build a house, shop & barn. But, a similar property within a half hour or so of SF or LA would be a couple million $$$ easily when done.

Homes and land in our current area are priced all over the map. Some are up, some are down. And I am really concerned about renting this place out.

I think you're in the gold country? Prices are very cheap for the quality of life you have. That's one of the few areas I would move back to CA for. Plus, you've got the oaks, and little traffic...
If you don't have a compelling reason to move here, such as the boating / fishing scene, grandkids, etc. might as well stay where you are. :thumb:

However, believe it or not my wife of 35 years has a pet milk Goat that she treats better than our three dogs and three cats. The Goat GOES!!

And I operate radios in the Ham bands and have seven or so antenna's in the air. Hence our desire for some land. I am unsure if rentals would allow animals and an antenna farm.

Wife is on the phone now with the head hunter, sounds like the money might not be what we need. She has a Masters in nursing and they are offering way less than she currently makes in Po-dunk, here. I thought the Seattle area would have paid much better.

Thanks all.

One thing that is common is where cost of living is less, then so are salaries. California wages are going to be hard to match.

As to rentals, there are sometimes rural ones available.

You probably pay closer to 1.27% in CA. Not all that different from here, but remember there is no state income tax in WA. And it costs about $50 to register a car here...

Yes, you'll need to pay more, unless you go a couple hours away from Seattle. Our five acres cost $350k, and it will cost at least another $800-900k to build a house, shop & barn. But, a similar property within a half hour or so of SF or LA would be a couple million $$$ easily when done.

I think you're in the gold country? Prices are very cheap for the quality of life you have. That's one of the few areas I would move back to CA for. Plus, you've got the oaks, and little traffic...
If you don't have a compelling reason to move here, such as the boating / fishing scene, grandkids, etc. might as well stay where you are. :thumb:
El Dorado County, 4 miles from Sutter's Mill, where Marshall discovered Gold.

We want out of CA because of the entitlement mentality, stupid CARB and more stupid gun laws. And neither of us like the three months of 95+ degree heat. I pay $400+ to register my 06, F250, $375 for my wife's Acura and I have to smog my 1977 Landcruiser that I drive 100 miles per year!

We have one kid living in Portland and one in Kirkland, so the PNW seems the place to be.

Ha! We have one in Portland and two in Bellevue... Grandkids (little) are in Bellevue.
Your reasons are right in line why we left CA, and so many other people do as well. It's gone so wacky left that it just doesn't make sense. :facepalm:
We moved our company here, taking the jobs with us. ;)
Be careful where you move to, WA also has smog checks, but only in certain zip codes. My town, does not fall into that, but towns literally surrounding us do. :)

Obviously, if you're looking here, places like San Diego, Florida, etc., are clearly not what you're interested in. Keep scouting, you'll probably need to spend a little bit more, but you'll find what you want...

A couple of actual numbers. These are averages based on the last 10-12 years.

Average number of people moving into CA from other states per year-390,000.

Average number of people moving out of CA to other states per year-500,000

Average increase in CA population per year-500,000. One can then calculate that births plus people moving in from other countries exceeds deaths plus people moving to other countries by 610,000 per year.

Now the state to which the most CA people move to is TX. So, average number of people moving CA to TX-60,000. Average number of people moving TX to CA-35,000.

I'm not getting into the politics or the reasons why or how I feel about them. Just thought these facts would be interesting in this discussion.

I used to call Seattle, San Francisco light per its politics. I now call it San Francisco North! Seattle politics are left of Lenin! Its become total loonyville, which is why I left it over 25 years ago. WA state is slowly but surely becoming CA north. The whole left coast is getting loopy in my view. But the moderate weather will keep me here if nothing else does.

El Dorado County, 4 miles from Sutter's Mill, where Marshall discovered Gold.

We want out of CA because of the entitlement mentality, stupid CARB and more stupid gun laws. And neither of us like the three months of 95+ degree heat. I pay $400+ to register my 06, F250, $375 for my wife's Acura and I have to smog my 1977 Landcruiser that I drive 100 miles per year!

We have one kid living in Portland and one in Kirkland, so the PNW seems the place to be.

In King or Pierce county, you still will face emissions testing on any vehicle less than 25 years old. While the registration of a vehicle is cheap, there is an excise tax that gets paid with the registration each year. For newer, more expensive cars (and boats) this can be significant. For older cars (and boats) it is cheap. The Tacoma to Everett corridor is very similar politically to much of CA. Not so the rest of the state.

I think the PNW is great, and since you have family here is just an added bonus.

From Olympia to Everett, all loopy left. Skagit Co. is still OK for now, Whatcom is going loopy left too now, at least Bellingham and surrounds. Even Spokane is going that way now. While there is no income tax now, it comes up about every year and they try again to pass it with all sorts of promises to cut other taxes but its a lie. Once a tax always a tax. We have had morons for a Gov for years now and no end in sight. Both our US Senators are complete idiots, Murray and Cantwell, real morons. My Congressman is a lightweight too, Rick Larsen. Used to be OK on some things, now just another lefty. But that's just politics I guess. I know the OP didn't ask about it.

In King or Pierce county, you still will face emissions testing on any vehicle less than 25 years old.

The Tacoma to Everett corridor is very similar politically to much of CA. Not so the rest of the state.

I think the PNW is great, and since you have family here is just an added bonus.

A little clarification on the smog test aspect...

Washington is in the process of phasing out smog testing over the next several years. :thumb:

Not all vehicles need to be smog tested. Exempt are: motorcycles, Prius's, and ALL vehicles 2009 and newer. Plus some diesels...
Also, many areas are totally exempt from smog testing. For example, I'm in King County, but my zip code is exempt. :D

Check the WA state website for a complete list:
Washington Vehicle Emission Check Program - FAQ

And yes, the Tacoma - Everett region, as well as Olympia are generally quite liberal. Pretty normal outside of those areas... ;)

Politics indeed, please I need to know

I used to care a whole lot about what went on in my native CA state. Now I can see that the invasion is real and there is nothing I can do about it except move. I was hoping to a more conservative state. I only want to do this once.

My problem is I love guns and will net be disarmed or have them confiscated from me. I obey the law and my guns have harmed no one. CA is demonizing law abiding citizens while releasing Felons. I see WA is becoming more like CA with each passing day. How sad.

My other like is boats and for a guy six foot ten this is a very real problem.
The plan is to bug all the boat yards for a quick tour until I find a boat.

If the temperature never went above 80 degrees here we would have a hard time moving as we live in a very conservative county.

Its Frisco and LA LA land that have the money and the votes that control our state.

My county sends all our water out of county. Sacramento gets millions of Megawatts of our Hydro power, we get zero from SMUD.

We pay for very, very expensive electricity. Right now I am paying .36/KWH

So maybe we will end up on the Kitsap Peninsula as the wife is on the phone regarding something in Bremerton.

From Olympia to Everett, all loopy left. Skagit Co. is still OK for now, Whatcom is going loopy left too now, at least Bellingham and surrounds. Even Spokane is going that way now. While there is no income tax now, it comes up about every year and they try again to pass it with all sorts of promises to cut other taxes but its a lie. Once a tax always a tax. We have had morons for a Gov for years now and no end in sight. Both our US Senators are complete idiots, Murray and Cantwell, real morons. My Congressman is a lightweight too, Rick Larsen. Used to be OK on some things, now just another lefty. But that's just politics I guess. I know the OP didn't ask about it.

Kitsap Peninsula is a VERY good choice. Far less expensive, more conservative. Great quality of life there...

Look from Olympia South. It is extremely right wing south of Olympia and MUCH cheaper than the Seattle area. Alternatively you could look in eastern Washington if you want to live in a "conservative" place or maybe even northern Idaho. Lots of places in eastern Washington/northern Idaho where you can build a nice bunker and fit right in with the neighbors, just don't try to visit anyone without clearing your visit in advance less they think you are the FBI.

"Eastern Washington" wazzatt?

TDunn makes a very good point. Did'nt know they were way right politically but the SW corner of WA is a very quiet and rural area much different from the I-5 corridor. And NW Oregon shines in this way also. Most of western Oregon actually. But as a boater I've always put Oregon in a sorta non-existant catergory.

I agree about Oregon Eric. The Oregon coast is beautiful but there really isn't any place to cruise to unless you like going out and driving around in the open ocean and then getting your adrenaline pumping when it is time to head back into port Places like Depoe Bay are not my idea of all weather ports. Cruising the Columbia would be OK for one season (maybe). SW Washington, particularly Lewis County is pretty conservative particularly when you get away from I5. Lots of cheap acreages there though.

Kitsap Peninsula is a VERY good choice. Far less expensive, more conservative. Great quality of life there...

We are from the northwest, but had been exiled to California for about 15 years. We kept our boat on Lake Union and visited at least one weekend a month. Two years ago we just decided to move back north. My wife quit her job. We moved from Walnut Creek, CA to Poulsbo. Moved the boat over there as well. It's now ten minutes from the house. Despite the fact I still work in Los Angeles, it was the best thing we've done in a long time.

The cost of living is much lower and the quality of life is much higher -- at least for us. We bought a house in the country, down a dirt road. 5 acres. We can barely see the neighbor's house through the trees. We have a well. All the water we want to use is free. Power is inexpensive (the power bill for my SoCal apartment is higher than the bill for house). Traffic is light. Had a bear wander through the yard a few days ago.

The negative is that we do have to cross the sound from time to time to get things done. Internet kinda sucks 'cause it's only DSL. And I still need to fly back and forth to Los Angeles every week for work.

Haven't regretted it for a second. We should have done it a few years sooner.

Have no clue to the post,,, but anyway

We are on to looking at land and homes in the Kitsap Peninsula region. There are several properties that seem to meet our needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on the job search. Believe it or not nursing jobs with a Masters in WA state pay at least $15 per hour less than my wife currently makes in a po-dunct non union <100 bed hospital.
So we would need to sell our house and make some cash in order to work in WA and purchase a home on land.

Drag. We are very disappointed.

WA doesn't have particularly high wages (unless of course you work at McDonalds in SeaTac). Talking to some of my patients who work for Multi-care in Tacoma (without a contract for a year now) I seem to recall that WA is about 10th in the nation for nursing salaries. I believe that CA is first.

Don't feel too bad. WA ranks 23rd in teacher salaries to CA's 4th position.

B-I'd rethink the rent v buy formula around here. In Seattle, home prices have increased 74% since 2011, in King County overall, a 66% increase. In general, you can look at 8-10% annually pretty steadily. Median price in Seattle is up to $666K. Salaries around here have generally kept pace. And the irony of it all is that Silicon Valley companies are steadily increasing their presence here because of the "low" cost of living!

Now, why not rent rather than buy? Houses are not appreciating like they once did. .

Clearly you know nothing about the Washington housing markets... Double digit increases is the norm on a lot of the graters Puget Sound housing markets. This isn't Florida and the housing costs here are skyrocketing. Most places in Seattle area sell over the asking price.

That being said there are outlying areas where house prices seem reasonable.. unless your from the middle states where housing is cheap
Hollywood

Clearly you know nothing about the Washington housing markets... Double digit increases is the norm on a lot of the graters Puget Sound housing markets. This isn't Florida and the housing costs here are skyrocketing. Most places in Seattle area sell over the asking price.

That being said there are outlying areas where house prices seem reasonable.. unless your from the middle states where housing is cheap
Hollywood

This is that market at one point in time. There are other parts of the country like that. I'm simply stating that renting is an alternative and often a good one if you're not certain how long you'll stay in an area. Also, that while property may appreciate, that is not always the case. If you purchased 4 years ago in that area, you probably would have come out very well, but you can't purchase five years ago today and the next five years might be very different. California markets once boomed.

I don't know what will happen to housing costs in Seattle or anywhere else in the world over the next 5 to 10 years. I know some areas will see great appreciation and some will see lowering prices. I've seen sizable increases where we are in the past 4 years but that's after several bad years.

Just looking at the Seattle Metropolitan area. A little history.
2003 Up 7%
2004 Up 12%
2005 Up 16%
2006 Up 14%
2007 Up 3%
2008 Down 11%
2009 Down 7%
2010 Down 9%
2011 Down 8%
2012 Up 14%
2013 Up 10%
2014 Up 7%
2015 Up 12%

A House purchased in September 2007 took until June 2015 to reach the purchase price again. As of the end of 2015 that house was up 2.2% vs. September 2007. On the other hand a house purchased in December 2011 is up 51% since the date purchased.

Prices the first quarter of 2016 rose 5%.

So, what I know is only that Seattle prices are in the fifth year of great growth after 4 years of great decline.

Going back further, 1992-1996, they averaged 2% growth per year. 1996-2007, they averaged 9% growth per year. 2007 to 2011, they averaged a decline of 8% per year. 2011 to 2015, they averaged a growth of 11% per year.

Like many other things, the key is timing. I don't profess to know what will happen the next five or ten years. I do know that the growth rate of 11% per year will not continue forever.

Renting is always an option anyway. If you are going to be in a spot for 20 years, owning usually makes more financial sense, but as B said, if it is shorter term renting has a lot of advantages. Buying and selling are expensive compared to first and last months rent and a security deposit.

Renting is a great way to learn a new area. Just like chartering the kind of boat you think you like prior to a commitment. We have a long time window so are making multiple trips to the area prior to a planned purchase but will still not remove short term renting from the equation.

As a friend told us a couple weeks ago, until you spend some time there you won't know what you don't know. We learned more in 5 days bumming around with our Washington lifer friends than in 1-2 years of passive internet based research. We have eliminated a couple areas that where previously of interest to us. As a result we are planning to spend a few weeks per year bumming around places of interest to us in all different seasons.

Historical data is one thing, but understanding WHY prices rise & fall is quite different.

Trends, such as long term employment, diversification of the local economy, who's moving in V. who's moving out. Supply & demand of housing also plays a huge part of the equation.

We prefer to live in a premium area, both for quality of life and top resale. Like most big purchases, you make or lose money relative to the local market when you buy.

To us, quality of life overrides most other factors.

Historical data is one thing, but understanding WHY prices rise & fall is quite different.

Trends, such as long term employment, diversification of the local economy, who's moving in V. who's moving out. Supply & demand of housing also plays a huge part of the equation.

We prefer to live in a premium area, both for quality of life and top resale. Like most big purchases, you make or lose money relative to the local market when you buy.

To us, quality of life overrides most other factors.

We chose quality of life. We went in fully knowing that if we had to sell our home we were buying we'd lose money, probably a very sizable amount. However, we bought the house to live in and not thinking of resale. Investors bought it before us, hoping to make money, but after it sat a long time at their asking price, they decided to come way down.

As to trends, many of those who think they can read them, end up finding out the hard way how quickly they change and real estate is where they get hurt most. Still I'd rather buy where prices are increasing than where they are decreasing. Just rates of increase like the last few years in Seattle are not generally sustainable long term.

I understand why the prices rise and fall, but that doesn't mean I'm smart enough to anticipate years in the future.

If you want to move to an area where the cost of living is low and wages are moderate, consider SE Washington state. We live in Pasco where $300K buys you a newer 4-5 bedroom, 2600 sq ft home on 1/3 acre. For another $100K that house is right on the Columbia River with great views.

A neighbor of ours just sold his house, nicest one in our subdivision, right on the water, ~2800'-3000' for $565K.

Our boating options aren't as great as the Puget Sound area, but we boat all year. Summer temps in the mid-80's to high 90's but that comes with a 20% humidity. A traffic jam is 4 cars at the same time at a stop light.

We're 10 minutes from the boat slip, 3 minutes to the ramp where we launch our Whaler. There are 325 miles down the Columbia River to the ocean to boat on and 155 miles up the Snake River. Each direction lets you go through 4 dams if you choose. ( http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/our-first-organized-cruise-year-25964.html )

A boater's paradise? Yes and No. Yes because of the year around boating, no because we're limited in the destinations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom