reliability/longevity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

Using the Ford 2715e as a case in point, how do other makes and models of diesel motors rate for dependability and long life with proper maintenance. I have read enough to stay away from Volvo's just from a parts and support point of view but what about all the others. A lot of you have a much more experience with a wider selection of power plants. I am more interested in fewer problems than the best fuel economy. I currently have a single ford 120 with 1700 hrs. is there anything that compares .

I consider the Perkins 4.236 as almost bulletproof, but I'm biased. I have no empirical data to support my position and my experience is limited to this diesel, but all I've read and experienced give me great confidence in both longevity and reliability. At 1.6 GPH per engine at 7.5 kts, they're efficient, too.

"long life with proper maintenance"

Great concept , but how many folks have their engines repair manual (Da Book) that informs them what Service is required , and what PM is needed for out of service time or winter storage?

Engines seem to develop their great reputation near the end of their production life. Often a manufacturer will have great success with an engine and then feel the need to see how much more HP can be produced from the same engine. Cummins produced the 6BT 210 HP. The 210 and later 220 are great motors with long lives and very reasonable on parts. They became over shadowed by higher HP models with after coolers and fuel coolers with HPs approaching 400. For larger displacement hulls and as twins in semi displacement hulls, they are hard to beat and still available as factory rebuilt.

Ted

Detroit 71 engines. The 671, 871, and 1271 been around since would war I I with thousands still operating. One of the most simplest 2 stroke engines made. As mentioned the Perkins 4 cylinder 2 stroke ate also very dependable.

Actually the Perkins 4.236 is a 4 stroke. Was widely used in industrial applications.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom