To Reinforce ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjm911

Vessel Name
Sea Glass
Vessel Make
DeFever 49 CPMY
As a reminder, it is a wise idea to take a photo of what you are about to dismantle. I installed a new raw water pump backwards and be damned if I couldn't figure out why it was not working.

First photo shows improper installation; the second is correct. Damn, that just burnt up an impeller and four hours of time. Burnt up my wife's patience as well.

Learn from others' mistakes (mine!). Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 98
I always make a drawing of the direction of the "bend" in the pump impellers so I install the new one correctly. I have been told , several times, that it doesn't matter. The impeller will assume the correct bend when the engine first starts.

I don't believe it, and won't believe it. Those rubber impellers are tough but not that tough!

pete

I also take pictures of before and after. Good tip.

PM, regarding impellers, if Tony Athens says the bend is not an issue on installation, then it’s case closed as far as I am concerned. The rest is dock talk.

At least you were able to figure it out yourself. :thumb: We had a boat neighbor that couldn't and had to call in a mechanic. By the time he realized the intake was now the outlet, :facepalm: Our neighbors wallet was several hundred dollars lighter.

I always make a drawing of the direction of the "bend" in the pump impellers so I install the new one correctly. I have been told , several times, that it doesn't matter. The impeller will assume the correct bend when the engine first starts.

I don't believe it, and won't believe it. Those rubber impellers are tough but not that tough!

pete

The impeller vanes kicks back in the opposite direction every time you stop the engine.

PM, regarding impellers, if Tony Athens says the bend is not an issue on installation, then it’s case closed as far as I am concerned. The rest is dock talk.[/QUOTE]

Me too! Tony is the Dali Lama of diesel Gurus.
He also recommends lubing the impeller liberally with whatever slippery goop you’ve got on hand before installing.
It only takes a few seconds after starting the motor to determine if the pump is moving water, I can’t imagine running it long enough to destroy the impeller.

Anytime I'm taking something apart that I'm not familiar with I take pictures before and during removal. I also try and lay out parts and pieces from left to right so I know the order that they go back in. This has saved me many headaches.

I am nor seeing the difference in the install. Regardless odd house orientation, the impeller will turn the same direction. What am I missing?

I am nor seeing the difference in the install. Regardless odd house orientation, the impeller will turn the same direction. What am I missing?

Hose pinched shut maybe ?? I'm wondering too.

The pump was installed 180 degrees out initially. Look at the left side of the pump housing and the hoses. In the second photo, the hoses are on the right side. The directional rotation of the pump has not changed but the inlet/outlets have.

Thanks, Larry. That is correct.

Yes indeed - photos, and videos with commentary, have saved my rear end many times :blush::blush:

As a reminder, it is a wise idea to take a photo of what you are about to dismantle. I installed a new raw water pump backwards and be damned if I couldn't figure out why it was not working.

First photo shows improper installation; the second is correct. Damn, that just burnt up an impeller and four hours of time. Burnt up my wife's patience as well.

Learn from others' mistakes (mine!). Cheers.
I don't see the second hose clamp, on either photo

Great advice! I've begun doing this on just about every new project to prevent F-ups.

I had one impeller change years ago that had me puzzled for weeks! After replacing the impeller with a new one, I couldn't get the pump to prime or pump. Several impellers later, same problem. Finally a call to Jabsco solved the mystery.

There is a hard-to-detect wear plate in the front of my pump, behind the impeller, that is a wear item after many years. It had just enough wear in it to prevent pumping with the new impellers. Jabsco sent me a free wear plate and new back plate. Once I learned about, located and replaced the wear plate, all was well.

Another tip from Jabsco is that the wear plate and back plate can be flipped to the unused side can provide a smooth surface for the impeller pumping.

Great advice! I've begun doing this on just about every new project to prevent F-ups.

I had one impeller change years ago that had me puzzled for weeks! After replacing the impeller with a new one, I couldn't get the pump to prime or pump. Several impellers later, same problem. Finally a call to Jabsco solved the mystery.

There is a hard-to-detect wear plate in the front of my pump, behind the impeller, that is a wear item after many years. It had just enough wear in it to prevent pumping with the new impellers. Jabsco sent me a free wear plate and new back plate. Once I learned about, located and replaced the wear plate, all was well.

Another tip from Jabsco is that the wear plate and back plate can be flipped to the unused side can provide a smooth surface for the impeller pumping.

Does anyone have any pics of the Jabsco impeller wear plate and back plate in situ?

To all the seniors to the younger guys! What did you do in the early years after you took a picture and had to wait for the film to be sent away and be developed?

I don’t think any of us have to think anymore! Because I am sure guilty of snapping a quick 50 photos of everything I do.....

Lol just asking?

pete

I have purposely installed impellers backwards and they do flip the correct way, done multiple test.

I don’t do this on purpose, it was just a personal test of doubting myself if I put it in wrong, and what would happen if I did. Bingo, it flips the vines the right way every time.

Again to cover my sometimes forgetfulness I have a tool etcher that I have etched a small wave like a vien and arrow of direction on all my cover plates for the pumps. It makes it idiot proof for the next owner as well

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. R. From memory (and that's none too good), Mr. F's diagram is appropriate. You asked about the wear plates. Allow me to expand on Mr. F's response.

The "inside" or BACK wear plate is indeed #5 and again from memory is very thin (.015" perhaps?) stainless steel, I think. The "outside" wear plate (and also the outer cover) is #1. Both can be reversed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom