Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Vessel Name: White Knuckles
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Refrigerators and Freezers

We are doing some upgrades on our Kadey Krogen 42, and I get to have a new Fridge and Freezer. I want to have dual power - 120 and 12 volt.

I am looking for recommendations.

Brand?

Separate Fridge from Freezer? Any Experience with Freezer Drawers?

I have a huge stainless steel LG with freezer on bottom at home and LOVE IT. - I haven't seen anything similar.

All ideas and suggestions much appreciated.
aevdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Take a look at the Vitrifrigo range.
I bought one after several other types failed, expensive but worth it.
That's just my experience others may offer different solutions.
Chat to Richard on Dauntless, he has a KK with nice setup.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We added a SeaFreeze custom system 10 plus years ago and it has worked flawlessly. We have left the boat at anchor for 5 plus days and have used less 550 amps total with no solar or generator run time. The refrigerator side is ~ is about 6 cubic feet and the freezer is ~2.5. We had them up the insulation to 4" all the way around with 3.5" in the doors and 2.5" in the dividing wall. The refrigerator uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor and the freezer uses a BD50. They both use the same electronic module so I carry one as a spare although I've never needed it. We can keep ice cream hard easily.

Question: Why a duel voltage system? The 12VDC Danfoss compresses are bullet proof.

Sea Freeze of America - Custom Marine Refrigeration, Deck Freezers, Cold Plates
Attached Thumbnails
New refer 014.jpg   New refer 020.jpg   New refer 018.jpg   New refer 036a.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Ditto on Sea Freeze. I just installed a custom 12v freezer from them, 6 cu feet, external compressor, 4" insulation. Several boat friends here in Bellingham have used Sea Freeze refers and freezers for years and rave about the low power consumption.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I'll echo Larry's question on why dual voltage.... more cost, when would you ever NOT have 12V available? Most marine refrigeration is 12-24VDC as primary, the 110V capability is via a power supply that simply converts the 120V to 12/24.

I recently replaced my 2nd Vitrifrigo in less than 8yrs, I'm not a fan. Although they're pretty well made, mine were forever unreliable, and we simply were fed up with stinky milk, sticky lunch meat, and wilted produce. They simply would not maintain an adequate box temp despite extensive efforts to DX, add auxiliary ventilation, speed control, thermostat, etc. It rarely cycled off. 36 hrs to recover to 40F from defrost.

We just replaced the last VF with a NovaKool RFU9000. It's not a fit for your KK, but we love the layout, and it's been maintaining box temps of 38F pretty consistently on the mid setting. I know they have a wide range of product, they may have one to fit.

I've met several KK42 owners who had the subzero hogs, Larry's solution seems to be a happy voice in the midst.

I have a Frigoboat keel-cooled system at the heart of built-in freezer I rebuilt and converted from a holding plate, I love it. Very efficient, and absolutely silent. It can't, however be run out of the water, although they make a dual keel-cooled/air cooled condenser that can. If you do end up with Danfoss-equipped gear, and you cruise beyond easy reach of replacement parts, a spare control module would probably be a prudent addition to your parts inventory, since it seems that when a fridge/freezer with a Danfoss goes down, it's typically the control module. It's not a complicated swap-out, and having the part on board could be the difference of a temporary rise in box temps vs. total loss of the contents.

Good luck on the search, keep asking lots of questions, the questions you ask now will save you headache down the road, and there's no headache quite like a refrigeration problem on board a cruising boat!!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Good luck on the search, keep asking lots of questions, the questions you ask now will save you headache down the road, and there's no headache quite like a refrigeration problem on board a cruising boat!!
Headaches? What headache? Those things you're talking about aren't refrigerators, THIS is a refrigerator ;o)

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
FF
Guru

" Most marine refrigeration is 12-24VDC as primary, the 110V capability is via a power supply that simply converts the 120V to 12/24."

YES

This is because a modern DC unit is speed controlled to go slowest and use the least current to maintain the box temperature.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
U-line 24s

Stainless Steel. Perfect replacements for the OEM sub-zeros on a KK42. Not dual voltage but relatively inexpensive.
rnummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
To get a so called "quality" 12v fridge the size of a small bar fridge, will most likely cost more than a full sized household fridge/freezer.
To get 12v refrigeration comparable to the size of household refrigeration will cost many times more again.

Easier and far more cost effective in my eyes (especially in aus) is to buy a decent household fridge and a decent inverter charger and it'll still probably cost way less money than the 12v equivalent.

Go bigger inverter again and run multiple household appliances bought cheap anywhere.
If and when the fridge dies (our 17.5 cubic ft Samsung is 13 years old) we simply ditch it and buy another for $1200.
How much is that toy 12v fridge again?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
AEVDG: The PO put Novacool units on our KK42. The fit in the same footprint as the subzero units. Larry used SeaFreeze. I’d go with them.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We added a SeaFreeze custom system 10 plus years ago and it has worked flawlessly. We have left the boat at anchor for 5 plus days and have used less 550 amps total with no solar or generator run time. The refrigerator side is ~ is about 6 cubic feet and the freezer is ~2.5. We had them up the insulation to 4" all the way around with 3.5" in the doors and 2.5" in the dividing wall. The refrigerator uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor and the freezer uses a BD50. They both use the same electronic module so I carry one as a spare although I've never needed it. We can keep ice cream hard easily.

Question: Why a duel voltage system? The 12VDC Danfoss compresses are bullet proof.

Sea Freeze of America - Custom Marine Refrigeration, Deck Freezers, Cold Plates
That is very nice, Larry. I had a weird shaped space for ours so I had to build it myself, but I used the danfoss bd 35 for the refer and bd 50 for the freezer. And yes, they seem bulletproof, so I would not worry about dual voltage. Invert from 120vac to 12vdc, which is a capacity you will likely have anyway.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That is very nice, Larry. I had a weird shaped space for ours so I had to build it myself, but I used the danfoss bd 35 for the refer and bd 50 for the freezer. And yes, they seem bulletproof, so I would not worry about dual voltage. Invert from 120vac to 12vdc, which is a capacity you will likely have anyway.
Inverting is from AC to DC.

A charger goes the other way, confusingly often called a "converter" in the US RV biz.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
To get a so called "quality" 12v fridge the size of a small bar fridge, will most likely cost more than a full sized household fridge/freezer.
To get 12v refrigeration comparable to the size of household refrigeration will cost many times more again.

Easier and far more cost effective in my eyes (especially in aus) is to buy a decent household fridge and a decent inverter charger and it'll still probably cost way less money than the 12v equivalent.

Go bigger inverter again and run multiple household appliances bought cheap anywhere.
If and when the fridge dies (our 17.5 cubic ft Samsung is 13 years old) we simply ditch it and buy another for $1200.

You are certainly right about the purchase costs, but... What about the cost of running the generator enough to keep that 120v fridge running? The cost to get a large enough battery bank to handle inverting a full size 120v fridge?

Not saying it isn’t a good idea, but there is more involved than just buying a domestic fridge and dropping it in place. The manufacturer of my charger/inverter claims it has 88% efficiency. That may be true when inverting at close to its max capability, but I seriously doubt that it is close to that under typical use. So if you lose 15% of your DC power by inverting it to 120v, you are likely doing well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
What about the cost of running the generator enough to keep that 120v fridge running? The cost to get a large enough battery bank to handle inverting a full size 120v fridge?

Not saying it isn’t a good idea, but there is more involved than just buying a domestic fridge and dropping it in place. The manufacturer of my charger/inverter claims it has 88% efficiency. That may be true when inverting at close to its max capability, but I seriously doubt that it is close to that under typical use. So if you lose 15% of your DC power by inverting it to 120v, you are likely doing well.
The problem is with American appliances, which are energy hogs. You need to find a "European style" fridge/freezer like a Samsung/LG/etc. which utilize digital inverter technology. You can run a 10-14 cf unit from a cheapo 600 watt dedicated sine waver inverter and consume less than a 500 watts daily. Check your local stores or try to find an A+++ rated unit. These units use less electric than most any 12 VDC marine unit except the SunFrosts, but those cost about $2000 more than the combo I mentioned.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You are certainly right about the purchase costs, but... What about the cost of running the generator enough to keep that 120v fridge running? The cost to get a large enough battery bank to handle inverting a full size 120v fridge?
We don't just run that big fridge we also run 2 x 3.5 cf bar fridges and 1 x 3.5 cf freezer all on 240v.
How much would that amount of refrigeration cost in 12v?
More importantly for us, if I did have all that in 12v how much would my ongoing cost be?
Being that invested means I can't just dump them and put a new one in but have to get someone down at great expense to try and fix them and from what I see and read good fridge mechanics are hard to find and in high demand.

If the household stuff dies I have a new one onboard in 24 hours, 48 hours if in a more remote location, the smaller fridges for less than the cost of callout fee for the fridge mechanic.

As for cost to run.
Today was a rainy day so I ran our 7 kva genset for 1.5 hours and got batteries back to 100% AND the 180 litre 240v hot water system to cutout temp.
Sun came out later so no need to run again for today's amp usage.
Add: plus don't most of you guys run genset for a/c? Charge for battery/inverter at the same time.

Sure, we did add a
New 800 amp battery bank was $3000 as the battery bank was dead when purchased
New victron 5000va/120amp inverter charger was $3000 as the inverter was dead when purchased
(Smaller fridges will obviously need considerably smaller and cheaper battery and inverter)
And we also added 2200 watts of panels $1000
And a mppt charger for $700 so 80% of the time we don't even use the genset.

By my calculations the solar has paid for itself inside two years and to my way of thinking we are still in front vs 30 odd cf of 12v setup and we get to enjoy cheap, easily replaceable 240v household stuff.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
The problem is with American appliances, which are energy hogs. You need to find a "European style" fridge/freezer like a Samsung/LG/etc. which utilize digital inverter technology.
Yep, I won't be upset when this 13 year old Samsung dies.
A new $1200 twin door haier replacement has a better energy rating than most of the Samsung, l
Lg, Westinghouse variants.
Should see a marked improvement in power usage.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 AM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
You are right Simi, 240v is a lot more efficient than the 120v. I would suggest that your situation is quite a bit different than most boaters who need to replace their fridge. For your situation, you have it setup really well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:

Dead right!!
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #19
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
" Most marine refrigeration is 12-24VDC as primary, the 110V capability is via a power supply that simply converts the 120V to 12/24."

YES

This is because a modern DC unit is speed controlled to go slowest and use the least current to maintain the box temperature.
Be careful. The opposite is true in some, particularly Dometic, where the DC input is inverted to drive the compressor. You relly can't tell from looking at the outside of the unit. If you can get a schematic, it might be possible to tell. Your best info I think will be the spec sheets, and more likely the EPA sheet for determining power consumption.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Yep, I won't be upset when this 13 year old Samsung dies.
A new $1200 twin door haier replacement has a better energy rating than most of the Samsung, l
Lg, Westinghouse variants.
Should see a marked improvement in power usage.
When Haier first came to the states the quality was not good but I really seen some great improvements in the last few years, I helped a friend instal a under the counter ice maker with a low amp compressor