View Poll Results: Victim of credit card fraud
Yes 23 52.27%
No 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Internet Credit Card Fraud

I was wondering after the third time I've had this happen how prevalent it is ? See the poll.
The last two involved the thieves making and swiping a card, amazing that if they are that smart why they choose crime. I use a lot of internet marine supply sources for boat parts, etc. I'm forced to limit future purchases to retailers who offer PayPal.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I was wondering after the third time I've had this happen how prevalent it is ? See the poll.
The last two involved the thieves making and swiping a card, amazing that if they are that smart why they choose crime. I use a lot of internet marine supply sources for boat parts, etc. I'm forced to limit future purchases to retailers who offer PayPal.
I've only had my personal card compromised once, after making a $4 purchase on Amazon. My business card has been compromised a few times. I do not make seemingly risky purchases. There are just so many ways a credit card can be compromised these days.
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Prepaid serve.com account by AMEX, you can have four different cards, same or different names, only $1 a month, waived if you're active.

Fund for free with cash at any CVS or online pull from a bank.

Can dedicate one card to risky merchants, another to recurring, any problem only risk what you put in, cancel they send another, the other three sub-accounts aren't affected.

Three years so far no problems
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:50 PM   #4

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
A few years back my wife's card was compromised and subsequently used at a Victoria's Secret over on the east coast to the tune of $1K. I knew it was fraud....because I never saw a single garment!

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I had a Mastercard compromised by a hotel employee in Tokyo a few years back. I did not know until next statement, which had sizeable purchases in two different countries that I have not ever visited, or purchased from online. The charges were reversed, so it did not cost me anything.

About a year later I was on a ski trip to Canada with my daughters. I was buying a ski jacket for one of my daughters in Calgary when my phone rang. It was Mastercard. I said yes, it was a legit purchase and in fact I was still in the shop! They have got some pretty good systems now. It must have been costing them heaps as they would not always have been able to reverse the transactions with merchants, and rightly would not sting their own customers.

These days I travel to foreign countries less than I used to, but try to remember to advise the credit card companies of my itinerary before I leave so they can put a 'note' to pop-up if my card has abnormal activity and is flagged in their monitoring facilities.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
These days I travel to foreign countries less than I used to, but try to remember to advise the credit card companies of my itinerary before I leave so they can put a 'note' to pop-up if my card has abnormal activity and is flagged in their monitoring facilities.
I have been called by my bank a number of times to check charges that their algorithm flagged. It used to be a call from a person, and if I called ahead to tell them of unusual travel I talked to a person. Now when they call me it is an automated system and I can inform the bank of potential travel plans on their website. I like the new systems.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I have never been happy with the Citibank's anti-fraud system. Now you no longer have to inform them of your travels. However, they will text you repeatedly as to questionable charges when you travel and will shut you off if you don't reply that they are valid. Problem is they text with the US dollar amount not the original currency charge amount and frequently the name of the restaurant for charge purposes is different from the name on the menu. Thus I am often guessing as to whether a $37.43 charge to XYZ five days ago is valid or phony.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Curious why the thread title is "Internet Credit Card Fraud" when there is no evidence that the OP's fraud was internet at all. People are always quick to assume. In fact, if they made and swiped a card that is most likely not internet. It could be if you provided information to a company rather than a card processor but far more often it's by scanning your information when you're at a gas pump or an ATM or from a restaurant. Most theft of card information is not internet, although there is some on the internet. Someone mentioned an Amazon purchase and that's highly unlikely to have led to card fraud or theft. Just not something that I've known to happen although it could or could be from your bank having issues or a card processor. Now I don't know which internet suppliers the OP is using and they could be just having the information form submitted then printing and entering it but that's extremely rare and shouldn't ever be done. No one should ever be writing the security code down.

Did your card have a chip or was it a slide card?

For protection, all should set alerts and get texts from them plus check your account regularly, daily best. Many fraudulent charges are preceded by small authorization amounts of a dollar or less fishing to find out if the card is valid.

Be careful on all card use. If you diligently watch card charges you will never suffer a loss, even if a headache. The card providers have gotten very good with their fraud checks and do often notify you of a concern before you know. I did recently have a charge I didn't make and immediately told the credit card company, my account was credited, and a new card sent overnight.

I didn't answer the poll as the thread title says internet and the poll doesn't. I've never had fraud as a result of internet usage. I've had attempts at fraud as a result of other things.Also know of a lot of check fraud with the check numbers taken from a check and then used to create epayments online. However, the information has been taken from hard copies of checks. One I knew hit a lot of people in an apartment complex and was coming from the office. Another was from a post office employee. Check fraud is far easier than credit card as all you need is the routing and account number. At least on credit card you need a phone number or zip code or security number from the back, depending on how using.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aft Deck Capt View Post
A few years back my wife's card was compromised and subsequently used at a Victoria's Secret over on the east coast to the tune of $1K. I knew it was fraud....because I never saw a single garment!
True story, a man was interviewed here by media after his wife`s handbag including credit card was stolen. He said he was less worried about their credit card than anything else, as he thought it was safer with the thief.
I did wonder about the next discussion between husband and wife.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM   #10

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
My Amex card was compromised which they caught however they were not as cautious with my reward points and the thief got 247,000 points just yesterday!
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #11
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
One tip we received from a police official is to never sign the back of the card. instead write in the space " ask for I.D. ". It's a interesting way to see if the retailer checks the back of the card, about 90% ask for I.D.
But that still doesn't protect someone from stealing your card #'s. Our card issuer also has the algorithm theft protection so they some what protect losses. I guess they figure the losses are just part of business expenses instead of the legal cost to track down the theives.
I have noticed some internet retailers have started using a system where you enter your card #'s and verifying information non-verbally to limit exposing card information orally which might be a safer alternative.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We've had cards compromised, approximately yearly. Mostly MasterCard, but most recently was a Visa. Last three times have been chip cards. Most all seem to have followed payment at a restaurant here in the U.S... where chip readers aren't brought to the table.

As far as I know, we've not been bitten because of an internet payment.

-Chris
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
My best protection against CC fraud is the local bank I've used for 30 years. I let my personal banker know when I'm going to be traveling out of state so they don't see a purchase from that state and call me.

I was compromised many years ago, they called me, reversed the purchases and sent out a new card immediately.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
Guru

City: Vermont
I didn't vote, and for the reason BandB brought up. My card has been compromised many times, but never related to an internet purchase. It has always been traceable back to a small number of possible local purchases. That's the biggest risk that I have experienced. Why the US hasn't adopted the same rules as other civilized countries is beyond me. In other places, it's illegal for any merchant to handle your card. They pass the machine to you, and your card never leaves your hands. It's so simple, but my guess is that merchants and banks belly ache over the cost of the machines, and who pays for them.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
...It's so simple, but my guess is that merchants and banks belly ache over the cost of the machines, and who pays for them.
Your right. My brother-in-law is a restaurant owner in Vermont. Last month I asked him why he doesn't have the personnel card readers. He said he can't justify the cost since he would need at least three at ~$600/machine.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I've had my credit card compromised numerous times (average about 1 every year or so). Never been a victim (cost me anything ). Have a number of cards for different purchases. One for monthly recurring charges (cable TV bill, EZ pass hiway tolls, etc). One for charges where the card doesn't leave my sight. One for places like restaurants and Internet purchases. Guess which one gets compromised. Chase credit card company keeps seamlessly taking care of the problems and sending me new cards. Guess they like my business.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Acknowledge that the mobile card readers are not frequently seen in the United States and thus I risk someone else handling my card. Outside of the US and Canada I do not let the card out of my sight. If necessary I will walk to the main cashier and watch them process the card.

Prior to the US cards having chips I twice had my card read by a waiter/waitress, duplicated and used to run up huge bills in 24 hours.The reading can be done by a small portable hand held machine.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #18

City: Beaver
I print in big bold letters with a sharpie "SEE PHOTO ID". Pisses the mrs's off as she's asked to produce the horrible picture on her drivers license so there are two benefits...minimizes fraud and her willingness to use the card. I'm a genius.
m-mm-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #19

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
All my online credit card purchases are done with my Citibank Mastercard using their VIRTUAL ACCOUNT NUMBER option. Login, get a one-time use, unique number, with a 30-day expiration, and use that number for the purchase. With face-to-face card purchases, I never let the card out of my sight, and preferably, not out of my hand. Restaurants ? Unless they use a handheld swiping device at the table, I use cash. Most major bank credit cards offer Virtual Numbers. Before this policy, I had a card fraud event from an online purchase that took a couple of months to resolve.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Your right. My brother-in-law is a restaurant owner in Vermont. Last month I asked him why he doesn't have the personnel card readers. He said he can't justify the cost since he would need at least three at ~$600/machine.

Having just returned from BC, I really like the way the retailers there handle the credit cards. Big or small, all restaurants and bars are able to handle the expense of the wireless card readers.

Of course the security of that is only as good as the encryption used on the wireless I suppose.

I just wish that more US companies would adopt the new tech. I had thought that using chip readers was mandatory (we made the switch in our office a few years ago) yet I still see a few retailers who haven't yet made the change. Not sure why...?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote