Reflections from the Dark Side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
The latest issue of Cruising Outpost magazine has a story I wrote about our transition from sail to power titled "Reflections from the Dark Side". Even though 28% of the magazine's readers are power boaters, the bulk of readers/fans are sailors/sailboat owners. We want to include more long range power cruisers in the editorial mix, so we're looking for more stories from a trawler perspective. So if you can write... The story is on page 106.

ISSUU - Cruising outpost #10 spring 2015 by Cruising Outpost

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.59.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.59.43 PM.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 131
Good article. I think you are a little hard on other power boaters. For every jerk that wakes me, there is a sailboater under power crossing me when I have the right of way, and with his VHF radio off ( or not listening to it) . Walk the docks and count the sailboats that don't have radar reflectors.

I've had sailboats change course three times in order to make me - and watch me - change course in order to give them the right of way. Jerks.

Having said that, there is nothing prettier than seeing a sailboat heeling over in a good breeze and I love sharing the water with good captains, no matter what their vessel.

The irony here of the backhanded compliment that power boaters are not nearly as rude as the sailboater mentality seems to believe.

More simply, it's embarrassing how rude the sailboater community really is at heart.

I've only encountered one unpleasant encounter with a sailboat when it tacked in front of me in the middle of the bay. Thankfully, that's not the norm. Not the culprit:

img_313390_0_ce96eedab893ae29abb3b655a4e4f384.jpg

Last edited:
I've only encountered one unpleasant encounter with a sailboat when it tacked in front of me in the middle of the bay. Thankfully, that's not the norm. Not the culprit:

img_313429_0_ce96eedab893ae29abb3b655a4e4f384.jpg

Only one??!!

Ya got to get out more! :hide::angel:

I love it when a sailboat pulls up next to me in an anchorage (after I have been there for an hour or so) drops the hook way to close to me with no regard to the difference to our swing rates.

Then within 30 min yells over to me that I need to move if the wind changes as I might swing into him, then drops back down into his cave never to be seen again. :facepalm:

Water depth was not a factor.

Perhaps that's when I should have started my gen-set, but I didn't, it's too quite to bother him anyway.

Yep I moved.

I have seen plenty of the "privileged" sail boats, seems theirs is more of a attitude/rudeness rather then the lack of experiences seen in the go fast everywhere set.

Oh well, that's why we have happy hour. :thumb: Be happy!!

Last edited:
I made the same transition about 10 years ago (wife fell on the sailboat, pins in both elbows, powerboat requires less labor on her part).

While the powerboat jerks are easier to recognize because they are more obvious, I believe the same percentage of both kinds of boaters are just inconsiderate asses (except for sports fisherman owners where the percentage seems to be much higher). I have seen sailboats leading the way through a narrow channel at 2 kts while the powerboats lined up behind can barely make steerage way. There was a sports fisherman owner in my yacht club who purposely went out of his way to wake sailboats and impersonated the Coast Guard on the radio when they called to complain.

We all have our war stories about other inconsiderate boaters. I think most boaters are just trying to enjoy themselves while trying not to bother anyone else.

Did ya hear the one about the blow boater who arrived with one shirt and a five dollar bill? In two months he never changed either.

OK, that was rude but I couldn't help it cause I'm an ex-sailor (Cal 33) now on the dark side. :D:D :hide:

I had a Cal 33 in a previous life. Great boat

Yep, sure was. Fast with a huge interior for its size. Can't say I don't miss her now and then.

While many of the sailing type may evoke a "purist" elite persona, my experience is many of us with power boats came from the ranks of sailors. Been there, done that. Loved it. But current needs and desires are best met with a roomier power boat.

That said, I enthusiastically wave to all the sailors out there. ? Ironically, the chances of getting a wave back is usually inversely proportional to the length of the sailboat. I love the happy smiles we get from the kids and couples in the 22's!

Back
Top Bottom