Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #21

City: Benicia CA
Now that, they would understand. Maybe.

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #22

"I had a hard time describing to the non-boating public what I bought."

To the non-boating public there are only two kinds of boats- sailboats and powerboats. I tell 'em I've got a powerboat. Next question is "how big?", but only boaters or at least those who would like to be boaters go on to ask what type.

ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 56 Pilothouse
I'm like most, "Boat" and go from there depending on the response or questions asked.
Aussie Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #24

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
I like the answer, "powerboat". When people ask me what kind of boat I have I'm not sure what to say, because I'm thinking like a boater, not like a non-boater. My boat doesn't really fit cleanly into a category. Probably for the majority of non-boaters, "powerboat" suffices.
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
Guru

Over here, powerboat or cruiser. Yacht normally refers to what USA calls a sailboat. Very upmarket powerboats may be called "super yachts", with operational and hospitality crew.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I have a Mainship 36 Aft Cabin boat. After coming from sailboats, I had a hard time describing to the non-boating public what I bought.
Mainship refers to it as a motoryacht. To me, the word 'yacht' linked to anything is too presumptuous, so that's out for me. It is not a trawler, besides some people here on the coast automatically think 'shrimpboat' when they hear 'trawler'.
It seems like if I use a somewhat antiquated term like 'cabin cruiser', everyone knows what I mean.
How do you refer to your boat to the non-boating public?
Trawler style coastal cruiser, works for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
SPOT ON Peter B.

Ancora I expected a lot more flack from my comment about the sundeck variation. On second thought I realized that there are quite a few trawler style coastal cruisers that have the sundeck variation. That variation I don't consider a "trawler" variation or feature .... more like a yachty cruiser addition.

But realistically there are more than a few "trawlers" or "trawler style coastal cruisers" that although having the sundeck feature are definitely more classifiable as trawlers than anything else. Owners of these boats simply have inside living space as a very high priority. But not as great as those w a Great Harbor ..... cruiser.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Most of my friends are boaters, so I use accurate terms when identifying my 44' trawler. For those others, I have found no satisfactory way to communicate an accurate idea of what my boat is about, that is easily understood, so I usually don't bother with an explanation. It is just " a 44 footer". Many have a preconceived notion that is totally inaccurate, so I frequently hear things from such folks that suggest they "know all about" my boat, but when they ask about my trips, I usually hear things like " how was your sailing trip?", "can you sleep on it?", "can you go to Mexico?", "how far offshore do you go?". The only proper way to educate such folks is to bring them down to the boat and show them. They have to be very special before that will happen.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I always refer to it as the "boat."
Ditto
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #30
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Most of my friends are boaters, so I use accurate terms when identifying my 44' trawler. For those others, I have found no satisfactory way to communicate an accurate idea of what my boat is about, that is easily understood, so I usually don't bother with an explanation....
I usually hear things like " how was your sailing trip?", "can you sleep on it?", "can you go to Mexico?", "how far offshore do you go?"
Which is why I find "trawler style coastal cruiser" works best, because in the one statement it tells them it is of the size and sort of like a trawler, yet not literally a fishing trawler, and that it is capable of coastal cruising, so clearly fairly robust and seaworthy. If they then need more info, they have an image in their minds which prompts more informed questions.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
....How do you refer to your boat to the non-boating public?
When someone asks about our boat, either motor or power usually starts the conversation. Where it goes from there, depends on the questions asked. We even use the word trawler sometimes.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #33

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
This may seem odd, but I try to avoid talking about my boat outside of family and close friends--particularly at work. Folks tend to believe (at least where I live) that all boat owners are multi-millionaires or close to it. I have colleagues with F-350s, new cars, campers, four wheelers, large homes, etc. but no one makes a comment. I mention "boat" and the first response is "how can you afford that?"
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I mention "boat" and the first response is "how can you afford that?"
Tell em you make deliveries for some Colombians and then walk away. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Actually when asked about our boat I usually say "a 30' diesel boat". And if they want to know more I say "it's like a little fishing boat without the fishing gear".

But among boaters I say it's a little trawler even though it's a cruiser.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
This may seem odd, but I try to avoid talking about my boat outside of family and close friends--particularly at work. Folks tend to believe (at least where I live) that all boat owners are multi-millionaires or close to it. I have colleagues with F-350s, new cars, campers, four wheelers, large homes, etc. but no one makes a comment. I mention "boat" and the first response is "how can you afford that?"
I relate completely with you on this. I never knew how filthy rich you become overnight buying a boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Quote:
Try driving a 16 year old Porsche and see what response you get....
Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Self Contained Pleasure Cruiser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	21315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	21316  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #39
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

I relate completely with you on this. I never knew how filthy rich you become overnight buying a boat.
Since we have gotten the bigger boat, many of the neighbors no longer wave and smile when we drive past. Wonder how they found out, I only told a couple of people.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993guy View Post
Try driving a 16 year old Porsche and see what response you get....
I very much concur with what you elude to in both quotes above.

That's sort of like me talking to a jewel cutter or an experienced jeweler about the cut, clarity, size, and quality of a diamond or other very precious stone... as I know little to nothing about jewels (except my own of course - lol!). I therefore rely totally on what the cutter or jeweler feels like telling me.

That said – In similarity to precious jewels and their “cut-clarity-value”... Boats and Classic Cars and their “shape-condition-value” are another two precious items that if people are not in the know – similar to me with jewels... they understand little about the topic/product and must rely completely on the expert's explanation.

Two points in fact:

1. I’ve owned several good condition used boats at one time before (own two now, sold a Malibu Skier in May, and am seeking a cruiser for SF Bay runs at present time). If I even mention this to persons not in the know on marine items they immediately assume I’m $$$$ wealthy. Currently that IS NOT the case! But soon again I plan/hope!! LOL

2. My 1967 Buick Wildcat with just about every option possible is near cherry and ALL original. She’s a 360 hp beast (muscle luxury car!) that can take on nearly any “fast” car on the road... and I sometimes do! There simply is no other car like her in our area. I use it as my “Chase Car” for looking at boats and other purchase items. As well I often drive it with wife at shot gun and a couple grand kids in back seat to take the kids to some fun event or out for dinner. Well... although I do enjoy the thumbs up and oooohs/awssss from people in parking lots, in the cross walk, or at a gas station... I have to be careful what I say when asked questions about my “Cat”. Cause – most people think it’s worth a small fortune... which it is not, on the real classic car market that is, where enthusiasts know the value of old vehicles! Similar to us boaters who know the real value (and annual costs) of boats. As well as the nearly unlimited pleasures they can provide.

Point I’m making here: Perceived value as compared to actual value is a judgment call greatly dependent on what one actually knows about any item.

Via my response to non-boaters asking what kind of a boat we own, i.e. “Self Contained Pleasure Cruiser” usually puts their minds in such a spin that they are often not sure what their next question should be. And, if I say that same defination to a boater – they know immediately what I mean... so our conversation starts off on an “even keel” so to say! lol

Art is online now   Reply With Quote