Reducing glare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat seems to have plenty of insulation

How well does it burn?

markpierce wrote:
My boat seems to have plenty of insulation,
A question....* IIRC, your boat is made out of metal.* What I can't remember is if it's aluminum or steel.* But if it's steel, everything I have heard from the few people I've known with steel boats is that they rust out from the inside, not the outside.* Which makes it critical to keep the inside of the hull bone dry, or as dry as it's possible to keep it.* I would think--- perhaps incorrectly--- that having all that insulation up against the inside of the hull would trap moisture between the insulation and the hull and raise the risk of hull deterioration.* Since I assume there will be paneling of some sort over the insulation, it won't be as easy for moisture to evaporate off.

I guess if it's an aluminum hull then moisture between the insulation and the hull is not something to worry about.

Marin wrote:" if it's steel, everything I have heard from the few people I've known with steel boats is that they rust out from the inside, not the outside. "
I had similar thoughts when I saw the photo of the insulation.

I'm not particularly concerned.* The interior steel is painted, and I expect to rust out before the boat ever does.

This photo is of the end of one of the*many truss and deck bridge sections*making up the Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) Railroad's Suisun Bay Bridge crossing the eastern end of Carquinez Strait.**It is well-rusted yet still carries scores of trains a day. I don't think the bridge has been painted for decades.

232323232%7Ffp53836%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C4%3A37566336nu0mrj

(Bridge completed in 1930, resulting in the retirement of the largest railroad ferries, Contra Costa and Solano, which carried trains between Port Costa and Benicia.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 04:29:17 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:

I had similar thoughts when I saw the photo of the insulation.
Plastic and wood hulls/interiors*burn real good.

Baker wrote:

Why not just put a coupla cannons on board and shoot commercial grade fireworks every hour....nobody will ever lose track of you....
wink.gif
That's plan B.

markpierce wrote:

It is well-rusted yet still carries scores of trains a day. I don't think the bridge has been painted for decades.
On the other hand, the bridge steel dries out. It's only wet when it's rainings or there's a heavy dew.* If the bridge girders were wrapped with insulation that held moisture against the steel for long periods of time, I wonder if the deterioration would be much more severe.* Just speculation--- I know almost nothing about the properties and*use of steel in boats and ships.

markpierce wrote:

Plastic and wood hulls/interiors*burn real good.

Your right that steel hulls don't burn on the outside, it'a all the interior stuff that does.**A fire on any*boat sucks!

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX*

Back
Top Bottom