Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hull form would give a new pilgrim a wider range of sea conditions to happily operate in. Yes it may not look like the original hull curved round hulls of the pilgrim is a thing of beauty. The boat need not be ugly I post an example of a potential look.
attachment.php

That hull form would be a really excellent one, and could be built of mostly of flat plates of steel. It might not even have to have that many 'panels' as the freeboard of the Pilgrim vessel is so much lower, combined withe the lower displacement of the Pilgrim vessel compared to that beautiful designed vessel also posted by Ed.

Having lived through a few custom and semicustom builds I would point out the well known fact that the hull is probably the least expensive part of the boat. Assuming a 45-48 foot build I think one would be looking at over a million US dollars. If a high quality interior with top end equipment was desired 1.5 million would not be out of the question. If built out of the US there would be a substantial labor savings somewhat offset by the need to ship stuff to the build site from more sophisticated areas. Then comes the question who monitors the build and sees to the quality? Boats particularly new builds have become expensive. On a value basis a good used boat that has been well cared for is most attractive. Another consideration when dealing with one off and low volume boat construction is resale value. Boats built and sold by larger companies that establish a brand name often have a known resale market that helps retain resale value. I have seen many good quality custom and low volume boats sell for a very deep discount after sitting stagnant on the market. My present one off boat will be hard to sell for the same % of original value as say a Hinckley of the same cost.

I'll admit to not reading the most of the replies so pardon me if I missed something.

At age 70 (or older) do you really want to build a boat? I'm about that age and I don't want to build a boat, I want to cruise on a boat. There are far too many half built or renovated boats sitting around that were started by someone who's health failed before they could finish them.

It is a very nice looking boat and I imagine it gets a lot of attention wherever one is seen. I read an article in one of the boating magazines about one.

One does have to wonder though, why there were so few of them made. Is there a problem with the design or were they just too costly for what you got?

I'll admit to not reading the most of the replies so pardon me if I missed something.

One does have to wonder though, why there were so few of them made. Is there a problem with the design or were they just too costly for what you got?

To help answer that question the following; The Pilgrim was built in a small Canadian shop by the designer and the boat was marketed by two gentleman other than the designer never big advertising and real full production boat. I also herd that the designer builder did not like the idea of getting cubby holed into this one boat build concept. The boat also had a lot of detailed finish work which in a north American shop is expensive and maybe the profit margins were not great. Considering that there was still a fairly good run for a boat that came close to matching custom builds. The intended use target of the boat by my memory of discussions with the designer builder was for use in very protected inland waters a restriction exceeded by many owners, but that may have limited some market appeal.

Wood Interior

If I remember correctly there has been in the past some discussions as to the expense of trying to build a nice wooden trimmed interior that these boats had,...and that trying to reproduce this 'quality' in a redesign effort could be expensive, (and was sited as one of the expensive items in the original build).

I would refer you back to a few postings I made on the subject:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

...precis
In those days the 'wood trim' was often a structural portion of the interior item, thus the carpentry skills required were even more elaborate. Nowadays the wood trim is of a 'cosmetic additional to the underlying structure. It can still accomplish the same Herreshoff 'effect'', but it is somewhat easier to build.

All of this wood trim can be simply glued onto the PP honeycomb panels that make up the 'cabin box'. These wood trim pieces can be supplied in a pre-cut fashion, either in-house or from a sub-contractor, even an overseas one (Thailand perhaps?). They could be CNC pre-cut pieces, and they could come in a variety of wood types,.....cherry, oak, teak, burl, etc.

These wood trim pieces and fixtures (cabinetry, doors, etc) would not have to be fashioned from homogenous solid woods, but rather could be some of the very high quality veneers (real wood) that are thinly cut to be glued onto the outer surface of lesser expensive wood substrates.

The trim and fixtures could be made a variety of the 'composite plastic' fake woods of this modern day. (reference those many varieties and qualities of laminated flooring materials...)

At age 70 (or older) do you really want to build a boat? I'm about that age and I don't want to build a boat, I want to cruise on a boat. There are far too many half built or renovated boats sitting around that were started by someone who's health failed before they could finish them.
I'm not saying that a number of older folks would want to build such a vessel by themselves,..but they may very well like to have such a vessel to live out their retirement years on. I would be one of those if my Thai wife were to agree.

And it would be nice to have a small company that could produce such a 'kit boat', upon demand, within a year's time frame, and at a reasonable price compared to a 'custom build'. It would be nice if the building company did not have a VERY large investment in up front tooling that it was forced into production large numbers of these vessel in order to 'recover/recoup' that initial investment.

A compact liveaboard vessel that might represent minimal operating expenses, and that was a movable feast up and down the coast of the USA, or among the various ports of a country or group of countries might well be a choice for a number of older folks, in leu of that big camper vehicle that many of them invest in after retirement.

Perhaps you might enjoy reading this book....
Here is the link direct to author

Seven Miles an Hour
Who will read this book? Anyone who wonders what it would be like to follow the seasons up and down the coast, all Trawler owners and Wannabes, everyone approaching retirement with little enthusiasm, all those who enjoy a good read and a chuckle, as well as all cat lovers everywhere.
Seven Miles An Hour isn’t only about the pleasures of gunkholing in Florida and the Keys. There’s a sudden grounding, an alligator encounter, a dragging anchor, and a cat overboard. There’s the search for the green flash, making new friends in remote anchorages, a guardian angel, as well as practical advice on anchoring out, coastal cruising, and living aboard.

Last edited:
Two interesting additions to the chines of this 'fishing boat hull design'..
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Hull Shapes----Show us your girl's bottom
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]It was built on an English commercial fishing hull design intended for the North Sea, with a deep full keel, 70% bilge keels of 12” steel plate, plus Standing Chocks extending midship from the bilge keels. The Standing Chocks act as fixed stabilizers, extending roughly 3 feet beyond the bilge keels at a 45 degree angel, and are sufficiently built to permit the vessel to stand on them during extreme low tides as are experienced in northern latitudes.
[/FONT]

Interesting 1986 Newsletter about Pilgrim 40 Seaworthyness

Here is a story from The Newsletter of Pilgrim Marine Volume 4 - Issue 4/86 - MLC+l-MkIV 1

Attachments

• 1_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    1_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    2_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 60
  • 3_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    3_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 4_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    4_Pilgrim Newsletter.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 54
T.G.LS. - Thank God It"s SPRINGI

Sometimes, in the middle of a winter whiteout (an entertaining combination of
win<i end snow), one venders if things will ever W81'mup again, turning everything
those vonderrut shades ofSPRUIGgreen end sparkling blue - but '9teknow it al'9rays will.

SPRINGis a natural time for rejuvenation, edvancement. growth, achievement -
an annual event that bump starts one's Spirit - towards one's goals,
Accordingly, SPRINGis an excellent time to renev commitment to one's future,
As you're on our Mailing List, we hope that includes owning your very own
Pilgrim 40 - our l1EANSto an enviable END, orrering you a medium ror the
continuation or adventure end.eniovment in our Nautical Living Environment.

We recommend SPRINGis a good time to make a firm commitment end assure your
spot in our production schedule, but more important, to commit to the plans YOU have
for-YOURfuture. It's THE pei-;fect tim-eto turn your thinlang - your Dreams - into action,
The Gulf Coast SHowBOATCruise "86

We shouldn't complain too much about our Canadian winter this year because
we spent a meior portion of it on the Gulf of Mexico - CRUISING- or trying to,

We launched our SHOVBOATjust before Christmas-in St. Petersburg and had her
fairly well outfitted early in the New Year. Mind you, we did experience several nights
where Mother Nature decided to remind us of home with some 25 degree wintery blasts.
However, we had lots of Pilgrim People keeping us too busy to worry about a
11ttle cold.

Motoring in and out of the marina regularly, we were nicknamed the 'Ghost'
because we couldn't be heard. This was quite a departure from the 1'081' of the 'average'
power yacht there which muscled into everyone's peace. It's a mystery to us how this
kind of pollution - noise pollution - has become so fashionable.

No wonder the owners of these boats want them to go fast - they can't take the noise for more than a few hours either. And then, there's the cigarette type boats, another example of the minority disturbing the majority's peace for miles around. Suffice it to say that quiet is a primary ingredient of the Pilgrim Philosophy - Peace of Mind on the Water.

Boy, Are We Dumb!
Another dumb thing you can do to eliminate a great deal of the pleesure and enjoyment Boating can offer is to cruise on a schedule. We do that all the time - Boat Show Routes and/or SHowBOATTours.

At least we're quiet. On top of that, who else would go cruising out of season? In over 1000 miles, we oidn 't really see an y9 other boats cruising. ,!;lc were alone evervvhere wewent and learned why the hard way.

Let us tell you a little story about our CRUISEto illustrate our position on some
serious questions we are continually asked by potential Pilgrim People.
Worst Case Scenario? . _.

A Little Cruising Story
Day-One - Why- Aren't They- All Like This?

On Februerv 22nd, with 2/3 of winter gone, our SHO'il1BOAdTeparted St. Pete mid-
<layror Tarpon Springs. up the very interesting end scenic final stretch of the central
west coast florida Intrecoestsl.

The crew consisted of Gary ferguson, his wife Christine,
Christine's father Bryce, and PIPPIN- our famous Boat Show dog end corporate mascot.

It was one of those beautiful Boating days - brilliantly sunny and 75 degrees,
vith a cooling lQ knot breeze blowing off the Gulf. If only they were a1l1ike this one.
At a very steady 8.5 knot cruise, you knock off a nautical mile every 7 minutes.

In such an interesting stretch of water, it's almost too fast to take in all the scenery -
what, a Pilgrim too fast? We arrived just at dusk, fought the inevitable ebb tide as we
motored tranquilly up the long scenic channel, had a great dinner at a remous
waterfront spot - PAPPAS- and spent a peaceful night right at the restaurant dock.

CONTIl-TUED PAGE 2 ...

PAGE 2 [MLC +1 MI<IV J- Wors:t Cas:e S-cenario? - CONTINUED _

(I'or those unremnrer With the north vest nonce coast, it can te the nesuest
offshore stretch of water from Maine to Mexico - more so in 8.

'Winter fog. You see, there are no major marine centres for hundreds of miles. This is because it is very shallow 'With numerous unmarked-shoals and has never been developed. for example, we had to
run up to IS miles offshore, still running in about IS feet of water. Also, the climate is not as hospitable or predictable as the rest of Florida and there isn't even an Intracoastal as an alternative choice, available almost everywhere etse.)

Day-Two - A Little Winter Returns To Florida

Dawn surprised us with a steady drizzle and fog, reminding us it vas still winter.
We got under vaves soon as PIPPINhad his valk.We were off to unknown experiences.

Our goal for ow' first major day offshore vas Cedar Key, almost 100 miles north up the coast. With only a short amount of 'Winter daYlight, ebout 12 hours, we had little margin for error if we didn't want to cruise at night in these unfamiliar 'Waters.

The fog and rain of the morning cleared off just after noon, making it much easier to navigate. We just had the ever-present sea swell. We made good time arriving at the outer mark of the channel 8 miles out zig-zagging it's way in to town. We had heard it had been hit quite hard by last feU's hurricanes but ve vere quite unprepared to fino no facilities for envtning but runabouts in one of the only stops on tnis' coast.

The remains of the re-inforced cement town. dock had two shrimpers on it - that vas it. We tied up to the remnants of the supports to one of the very high commercial docks, boarded up at one end as it was broken in more than one place.

PIPPINthe wonder dog (we'll explain why later) a 6S 11>.high strung Airedale (sort of a big hairy Greyhound), vas very pleased to make port as this vas the first day of getting his kidneys into offshore cruising trim. However, the tide vas ebbing again and it vas almost impossible to lift him high enough to get him off this big commercial dock. Ve finally had to pull the bow under the dock, to get him off and back on again.

We bought some huge fresh shrimp from one of the large shrimpers and had a wonderful Italien seafood dinner on boerd. After a peaceful brandy out on deck. the crew soon passed out erter an in teresting 811d successful first day offshore at sea.

The third day, we were to try for S1. Marks, a little over 100 miles further north,
at the top of the Flo1'i<lapeninsula. Wehad to meet People from Tallahassee there.

Day-Three - The Fun Continues

Ve evoke to more fog and drizzle and a very low 'Winter tide, so low PIPPIN would not allow us to get him off for his morning constitutional. He vould regret this later.

We took the smaller north channel out of the picturesque old florida town of Ceder Key to save a few miles from the vay we came in. We went to cruising speed as soon as we left the <lockand started settling dovn for another long days' run. Except for almost running aground, due to a missing marker in the confusion of the two zigzagging channels merging, we had no major complications and quickly solved this navigational mystery, with just a few edded emotional experiences for the crew.

The fog closed in even thicker as we headed offshore about 12 miles to the sea buoys. However, we still had half mile visibility and were accurate enough in our navigation to hit our markers spaced about 10 miles apart. After about 4 hours running, visibility reduced down to only 100verds. Vith an onshore tidal current we didn't find the next marker. Ve decided to continue despite this. as we expected to run out of this pea soup fog soon, as the day before.

This time we guessed right. It started to lift steedily and soon after. we were running in bright sunlight on as flat a calm as the Gulf gets. Ve went up to the sun bridge to enjoy the positive change in weather. It had turnec into a glorious day. (Running half a <layin fog is much like driving in a 'Winter whiteout. Coming out of fog is like the coming of SPRING - your Spirit is lifted by the sun and you fin<l yourself humming for no reason at en.)

The north breeze that blew the fog away began to build right on our bow, reminding us again it was still winter. Coming back down to the Pilgrim's protected wheelhouse, we double checked the weather report - "sunny 'With variable 'Winds 5 to 10 knots". We<lecided to bypass a halfway stopover point and continue on to S1. Marks.

However, the breeze increesed to a wind of about.15 to 18 knots. steedily turning
a small sea into a frothy chop. but still no problem for our Pilgrim 40.

We confirmed CONTINUED PAGE J ...

our decision to go on 40 miles, rather than back 10 to our only alternative. We
were betting we had reached the limits of inaccuracy of the optimistic weather forecast.

We Guess Wrong Times Two

The sea continued to build and the wind started to veer to the west. One of the considerations in our decision to proceed was that with the wind being off the shore we were making for, the seas would diminish as we approached, even if the win<Js increased. HA!... It turned out 'Iile guessed wrong about strength and direction. The
calm sea had built to a steep '3 foot chop on the port bow, with win<1sbuilding to around 20. At least it was still sunny and 'Iile were protected and dry, still with good visibility as the sea spray beat egainst our weather tight wheelhouse.

After all, it could have been a lot worse. We could have been stuck in a sailboat's cold and wet cockpit or on some open fly bridge, making a challenging day at sea even more uncomfortable for the crew. Wechecked for any changes - still "5 to 10 knots variable" with no strengths above 15 knots for the '300 plus mile forecast range. HA!.. again. In real1ife, they were about 25 knots, with the whitecaps starting to blow off the still building 4 foot waves.

Running in under 15 feet of water, well offshore and out of sight of land, the waves v!ere steep and dose together - one of the most awkward waves you would ever want to run in, already 8 feet high rrom trouga to crest end only about 50 feet apart.

The Rum and Pickle Syndrome

Finally, the captain called for the crew to stow the Homepart of the Boat before things got any worse. Plants, TV,table lamps, and the like were stowed. Galley lockers and the fridge were stuffed with towels to reduce the movement of things like the pickle and rum bottles, trying to make some wierd new cocktail all by themselves.

The seas turned a brighter blue with the setting sun and the still increasing wind, egitated all sureces, from tiny frantic baby wavelets to mother waves. Suddenly the bowplunged 10feet as we came off a 5 footer, forcing tons of water into the air. The captain grumbled something about that one being a Mother. The sea was too uncomfortable
now on our favoured course so we tacked to head directly into the confusion of the major waves, re-occuring about every seventh one, adding even more time to our run to port. Nothing to do but to keep going and get through as best we could.

We were now running almost parallel to the north shore trying to get wsterley enough to turn and run with the sea just aft of our beam, the best 'point of sail' for the Pilgrim in large seas such as these. Wechecked again -" 5 to 10 knots variable". Boy, did the captain ever want to have a few words of wisdom with the weather man. The spray was now blowing straight off the tops of those crazy seas. The wind strength was over '30 knots. (If they'd told us this was coming, we could have decided to run a little late on our CRUISE schedule and force the crew to enjoy the sun and wind in calm harbor.

On such an inhospitable coast, an incorrect weather report is almost crtminel.)

The captain was having to drive selectively over each wave now, throttling up and down, trying to minimize the bow's tendency to become eirbcrne off those square waves, while still maintaining steerage and as much headway to our destination as possible. The Pilgrim just kept going through it, again ... and again ... and egein, The crew were getting a Iittle tense (who wouldn 't after hours on a three dimensional roller coester l.but the Boatwas taking it in her stride. We can't help thinking, if this sea was a road, how would a Mercedes - any car - go over these 'potholes'?

The Cap-tain Works Up-A Sweat

The captain perspired freely, getting a good workout, at the wheel already for over three hours. OUt' depthsounder read 23 feet now, confirming a dead reckoning position on our chart as we weathered offshore. Time to turn dovnvind. We waited 'tit the next big ones passed, then put the wheel hard over to starboard and full power. The Pilgrim swung' quickly to her new course and the motion change was immediate.

Everyone exhaled ... slightly, but we could still see nothing but crazed water.

Now "lire had to find our harbor on an unseen, unfamiliar shoreline. We had been running off course for hours at non-consistent speeds and headings. We throttled up to 10knots, sometimes surfing down steep waves at 14or 15knots, with everything humming. (Where most power yachts have what we call a 'chain saw transom', our

CONTINUED PAGE 4 ...

PAGE 4 [MLC+l MKIV] - Wont Cage Scenario? - CONTInUED ...

Pilgrim is almost double ended at the waterline.

As a result, she is much more manageable downwind than her 'chain sawed' cousins, especially after the work-out of
fighting a stiff head sea. Our large rudder is certainly a big plus too.)

At last, land started to become visible on the horizon as the sun closed within a half hour of her western bed. A lighthouse eppesred in the binoculars. Shortly after, channel markers. We had been lucky with our navigation because we were right on the money. The crew broke out the martinis but the day certainly wasn't over yet.

We arrived at the outer mark of the 9 mile twisting St. Marks' river chennet. just as darkness fell and the wind began to drop. At least the wave action had ended. Hitting ebb tide coupled with a flood spring current. it took almost 2 hours of seerchlighting 811 unknown, meeneering chennet and unfamiliar harbor before we finally tied up.
now you'll remember that PIF'PIN the vondercog, had not been ashore since the previous evening - 27 hours earlier - a new record. We tried to talk him into a sidedeck or shower sump, but no, that was not his style. He did however bounce around like a coil spring, barking excitedly while we tied the Boat up. He must have thought SPRING had
come after a record breaking win tel' vhi teout.

It had been a L - 0 - N - G day for everybody but, we were right on our schedule. The crew however. did not seem impressed by this fact.

So -What's The t'lorai Of Our Story-?

-How does she handle in a rough sea?-

'9le get asked this over and over by Pilgrim People looking for re-essurence about our Pilgrim 'to's seaworthiness.

We don't know if others glorirv their rough sea capability - we don't.

That's why we just told you this Story. A ro~h sea is a rough sea! To us, advertising a 4x4 truck jumping over a hill or a sportrishermen flying off"a 10 foot wave is irresponsible.

Let us stretch a point and use the analogy of cars on a road. If you put your Mercedes on the rough 'road' of our Story. wider than your line of vision, covered everywhere in big, moving bumps end potholes, with no highway lines, say at 25 miles.

an hour, wouid you expect your trauma about this situation to be less if you were in a
BMW?...

Welt in our opinion, it's the same comparison with two well mede boats.

You see. it is our intention the main problem in such a situation is not with the
boat but with the 'road'.

The second problem is with the crew. Are they comfortable driving in such uncomfortable conditions? Most accidents in bad weather occur from the emotional fatigue on the crew, not the boat. We know you C811 get caught like we did. but most boats C8Il handle it if you can eddress the Rum and Pickle Syndrome.

What we have tried to illustrate in our Story is this: The Boating Life cen be ebsot ute1y wonderrui. if only you season it with a just little patience 81'1d common sense.

We want to offer you a means to meterrelize your 'Dreams', not confront your
nightmares?

There's enough adventure in living on the water without seeking out extraneous thrills.

We suggest you read Out' brochure again and remind yourself of what you vent from your nev Boating Lifestyle on one of our Pilgrim 40's. Mother Nature's unpredictebilitv. is predictable - even in the off-season. If the wind blows fbr a few days. it will usually subside for a fel;" days.

Therefore. you CM1 turn your potential nightmares into your 'Dreams' by just throwing out your schedule.

If you want to cruise in an area like the Ceribbean. in a more regular sea no problem.

WeC811 even suggest a few details to make life easier in such constant trade wind areas.

Remember. our very truthful Story was about one of the only major offshore stretches of veter from Maine to Mexico, in the middle of winter, on an inflexible schedule. verging on a Wont Cage Scenario that Ievvers, bankers and accountants like to a110y for.

We wanted to give you some insight in to one extreme we experienced.

We told it to prove if you have to go through it if you're caught by surprise. our Pilgrim 'to can handle it. We didn't bruise ourselves, our Boat 01' even break e. gloss, but if we could, we would have avoided it If you don't have to go or you don't know how. don't go. The worst you can be is 8.1ittle late, an envious part of vour new Lifestyle.

"By-e for Now'

Pilgrim Marine Sales Inc.
100 Rosedale Valle", Road, Toronto, Ontario H4W 1P7 CANADA
416-920-6059

Last edited:
Pilgrim 40 Hull No 1 FINALE in Canadian Yachting Magazine 1983

Here is an interesting article on the first Pilgrim 40 Hull number 1 named FINALE as Ted H. Gozzard (may he rest in peace) wanted to construct only one Pilgrim 40... He did construct 40 more after this one. We are the proud owners of Hull 28.

Attachments

• 1_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    1_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 2_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    2_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 3_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    3_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 4_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    4_Canadian_Yachting_1983_.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 76
Capt. Dave Forsman, Pilgrim 40 "LIBERTY", Hull number 43 had a conversation with Mike Gozzard (35 minutes, 12/21/2010)

I originally called Gozzard with two requests. One thing led to another and we discussed quite a range of Pilgrim related items. Some of these items might be of interest to other Pilgrim owners so I transcribed the conversation, as I took notes while we were talking. Thanks to Mike for taking the time out his day to talk to me.

1) At some point Gozzard will update their Pilgrim web pages to reflect the new Pilgrim Yahoo web site. There is a reference to this site under their News link.

2) If Mike ever comes across the lines drawings for the Pilgrim, he will send me a copy. I was looking for the actual hull line drawings (not accommodation plans) thinking it might be interesting to do some hydrodynamic studies, specifically seeing how the installation of bilge keels (rolling chocks) might affect the rolling characteristics of the boat. Mike explained that there were of course drawings done during the design phase but when the boat was finally lofted that his dad (Ted) would make minor changes on the fly to accommodate tooling issues that became evident when drawn full size. I still thought working from a set of drawings that were close would be more expedient than taking the lines off our Pilgrim using traditional techniques during the middle of winter in northwest Pennsylvania. That didn’t happen this last winter, so if anybody has access to a laser scanner and can produce a point cloud of the Pilgrim hull, I would gladly generate a set of lines on a CAD system for all to access.

3) While removing a few unused though hull fittings I found the hull to be balsa cored, which surprised me as everything I read said the hulls were solid glass. When we did our purchase survey, I didn’t use a moisture meter on the bottom (wouldn’t work anyway due to the hard, copper based bottom paint), but rather used a hammer to do percussion sounding. We never
found any suspect areas in the hull although the rudder and select areas of the deck were another story. When I mentioned to Mike that I wasn’t expecting to find the balsa core, he told me that as far as he knew that every Pilgrim built had ½” core that started about a foot from the turn of the bilge above the keel and ran up to the rub rail.

This led into a discussion of wet core and what to do regarding moisture readings. Evidently Gozzard (probably like most builders) has gotten a lot experience in recent years in fixing damp/wet/rotten core.

Assuming you are using a Skipper Moister Meter, this will read 11% on new, out of the box, core from Baltec. Less than 12% is obviously ok (perfect), 14% to 17% is marginal and anything over 20% needs repair. When repairing core, Mike suggested cutting the area open then using a probe type meter on the actual core. Any core that is 16% or over should be replaced, less than that and there is no point in removing that core as it is essentially fine.

My experiences last fall followed along those lines. We had an area just aft of the step on the starboard side deck that was soft. It metered wet, and when percussion tested, sounded dead, dead, dead. Since the previous owner of LIBERTY had recently replaced all the tankage in the so-called basement, all the tanks were new and one of them never had the installation finished.

Fortunately that was the tank under the wet deck allowing us relatively easy access to that region. Since we had the access, I decided to do the repair work from underneath the deck, more for the cultural experience than anything else. It would also allow us to use the boat while I was fooling with this repair. I marked off an area that was about 4’ in length by the entire width of the deck. I thought that since I was doing this it made sense to cut out anything that metered damp. The worst area was at the deck fill for the old water tank. It didn’t appear there was any bedding compound around that fill and it had been leaking for a long time.

The core was black and totally rotten in this area. The underside of the decking peeled right off in this region. As we got further from the rotten area and into the damp areas, the deck got harder and harder to remove. I wanted the glass to come off in one piece as I was going to re-use it so I was driving a small, long handled slick (big chisel) between the glass and the core.

Since I made a perimeter cut to start, I was committed to taking off the entire piece. After much effort I did succeed but found that damp core to be structurally sound; in other words I over did the removal. For those that are interested, the top skin of the deck is about ¼” thick as is the bottom skin. The core is ½”. The boat deck core is 1” thick, at least above the pilot house.

There are real good reasons for using modern vacuum bagging when building composite structures as a lot of boat builders are now doing. Laying up glass/balsa structures in the traditional way can result in a resin starved area at the transition region between the glass and end grain balsa due to inadequate clamping pressure during lamination. If water gets in, it can
wick its way down the structure, wetting the balsa from the top or bottom, but not from the side. This is what I found on the underside of our deck. A slight gap between the underside of the deck where the balsa was not firmly attached allowed the migration of the water and making a bad situation worse.

As a side note, where outboard scoop strainers were attached over the inlets on the through hulls, these areas metered damp, some as high as 16%, right around the through hull. What I found was the strainers were screwed into the hull with the screws piercing the core, no potting around the fasteners. This of course allowed moisture access to the core. After pulling the through hull and leaving it open to the air over the winter, the maximum moisture content dropped to 15%. This area was filled in with solid glass and epoxy, and regions that will receive fasteners for the strainers were cored out and backfilled with epoxy making sure there is not a continuation of this problem. Though hulls that had no strainers fitted metered perfectly dry.

4) We talked about Pilgrim rudders, ours sounds “funny” when hit with a hammer. Mike says the Pilgrim rudder weighs a couple hundred pounds. It is built in the traditional (for a glass boat) method; SS shaft with three SS plates welded to the shaft. These plates are about 4” x ¼”. The rudder skins are about ¼” thick, set in a resin bog and the remainder filled with foam. The bottom 3” or 4” is solid. The rudder should have a drain fitted to allow any water that finds its way in to drain out over the winter. You need a long drill bit to get past that solid area in the bottom of the rudder, then tap the glass for a 3/8” plug.

5) The prop should be able to be removed without removing the rudder. In theory you turn the rudder hard over allowing the tip of the blades to clear during the process. Looking at our set up, I don’t see how that can happen. The previous owner told me that when he replaced the prop they had to pull the rudder. I suppose you could remove the Aquadrive CV joint and slide
the shaft forward. Mike also mentioned that when you put the nuts on the shaft to secure the prop that the short nut goes on first.

6) I asked about the sliding windows as ours are starting to get difficult to slide. Mike stated that it should be possible to remove the old track (in pieces), but reinstallation would require taking off the window trim and cutting an access hole. Maybe this means that once the trim is off there is room to cut into this region and that it will be hidden once the trim is re-installed. I seem to recall that one of the newsletters mentioned replacing the track without any surgery, but no details were given. Hopefully others will find a solution to this issue before we have to tackle that job.

7) The rub rail on later Pilgrims is escalator hand rail. Installation requires a soak in hot water to soften it up enough to snap onto the aluminum stock that keeps it in place and to make the turn at the stern. It is cut to length with a utility knife although it might take a few blades.

8) During the call we somehow got on the subject of a storm damaged (hurricane Katrina) Pilgrim that was sent back to Gozzard for repairs. They used the old hull mold (the deck and superstructure tooling is long gone) to lay up a 20’ x 5’ section of hull to patch what was damaged.

The cost for the repairs was in the neighborhood of $120k. It goes without saying that once these boats are gone, they are gone for good as they aren’t being built anymore and won’t be by Gozzard.

Evidently Gozzard quit building the Pilgrim due to the expense. Mike said they lost about $50k on the last Pilgrim built. His dad said they might as well just stand out in the shop and tear up $50 bills.

Dave Forsman
LIBERTY, #43

Last edited:
CNC-cut Metal kits

There is an interesting affirmation article concerning CNC-cut metal kits in the issue (Apr/May) of Professional Boatbuilder:
http://www.proboat.com/table-of-contents-148

Precisely engineered CNC-cut metal kits simplify custom and production projects at aluminum sailing-yacht builder K&M and steel-motoryacht builder Jetten, ..both in the Netherlands

In case you are unable to access this article on-line, I will just hi-lite a few of the notable observations.

Today, at K&M Yachtbuilders, metal components delivered to the construction hall are far more refined: Precut stringers are the precise shape required to yield the finished hull, and they arrive from the computer numerically controlled (CNC) laser cutting facility with an intricate pattern of notches cut halfway through their depth to interlock with the transverse frames, which in turn have a corresponding pattern of narrow cuts around their outer curves. These pre-cut structure members with cutouts, coupled with precut hull plating, assure a stronger hull than conventional build, and require fewer highly skilled builders, and much shorter production time on the shop floor.

Building with kits (alum and steel) saves much of the expert but time-consuming manual work, because parts come precut from CNC-laser, or CNC-plasma cutting machines and fit together only one way....

I like this new way of building boats. Nevertheless I must admit with the old method the welders on the shop floor had a very big part in making the hull what it should be. With the cleverly engineered metal parts that fit together to become a firm structure without the workers manipulating any part, construction follows the procedure planned by the engineers. Still it is a fascinating process to see a yacht take shape following the arrival of a pile of metal parts. And we can build much faster now.

When we build with metal kits, the hull comes out smooth, with a lot less finishing work.

A 50' boat can be finished within months. It allows welders and yard professionals with less experience to build a strong, lightweight hull exactly to specification in a predicatively short period of time.

We had a lot of demand for the kind of quality built steel motoryachts we build here. ...That is why the innovation program was started ( the government funded project mentioned earlier, Virpack's Smart Kit was one outcome).
At Jetten Yachting one of the first boats built by the Smart Kit method was a 40' steel-hulled cruising yacht. The yard had built hulls to this design previously, but always by traditional methods. The same boat built from a Smart Kit was finished in just eight months, cutting build time in half.

Building with kit-ed CNC-cut components is so efficient that just 2 weeks after construction began, the hull of this Bestevaer at K&M is ready for plating, which has started at the garboard.

Another savings of the Smart Kit for Jetten is that not all plates must be cut by laser. Laser metal cutting allows no more than 0.1mm deviation from computer drawings, but less expensive plasma cutting is now as precise as 0.5mm-0.8mm maximum deviation.
So we have the main construction of transverse frames and stringers laser cut, but the hull plating plasma cut.

The process of optimizing cost and build time for our yachts continues. The Smart Kit gets smarter all the time, while we also try to improve on yard logistics and cost efficiency. The lower the cost of our yachts, (and the shorter the build time, BE's edit), the bigger our market

Here is an interesting article on the first Pilgrim 40 Hull number 1 named FINALE as Ted H. Gozzard (may he rest in peace) wanted to construct only one Pilgrim 40... He did construct 40 more after this one. We are the proud owners of Hull 28.
Perhaps I will have to print this out in order to read it, as when I try just enlarging it on the computer I can't quite make out much of the text. Then again it just might be my older eyes...ha...ha;)

Attachments

• Book cover, 7 miles per hour.jpg
    Book cover, 7 miles per hour.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Don and Gillian are restless travelers who enjoy exploring, walking, photography, cooking, reading, writing and too many other things to list here.

They had their own business but have been retired since 1999. For the last five winters, they have been exploring the American South West in their Class C Motorhome.

Seven Miles an Hour

There is an interesting affirmation article concerning CNC-cut metal kits in the issue (Apr/May) of Professional Boatbuilder:
http://www.proboat.com/table-of-contents-148

Precisely engineered CNC-cut metal kits simplify custom and production projects at aluminum sailing-yacht builder K&M and steel-motoryacht builder Jetten, ..

( Quote)

My boat was built with computer cut sections of high grade ply wood with multiple layers of 8MM thick sections formed into 50 ft long planks and chine construction over the bulkheads similar to a metal hull. instead of welds taped and Epoxy glued and glass covered. Wood used by this method properly done should not be discounted it is a superb structural substance when applied properly. The end result is a lite strong one piece boat with no structural fasteners well insulated and waterproof and remember wood floats. Repairs and modifications do not need welding equipment and some epoxy and glass cloth can do out back fixes with only moderate skill which most skippers have.

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 174
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 193
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 200
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 190
  • windows 2.jpg
    windows 2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 199
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 185
VERY good points Ed.

The only true negatives I can think of first hand is overcoming the oft-popular negative conceptions about wooden boats, and the fact that many are not financial by traditional lending agencies.

VERY good points Ed.

The only true negatives I can think of first hand is overcoming the oft-popular negative conceptions about wooden boats, and the fact that many are not financial by traditional lending agencies.

Brian I don't agree. I have found more people with negative attitudes toward steel boats particularly those with some marine age on them and built by individuals or small shops. When I look at the used market I see well built composite boats doing better than steel. Certainly the quality of the build in any material will be a major factor. A home made poorly done ply boat would more than likely be much worse off with time than steel. Most of the bad rap on wood composite comes from poor builds or owners and yards that add fittings without proper care to seal the holes they make. Same situation with any cored material. On the other hand with time a well done wood composite boat should fare better than steel. One of my main concerns with steel is rust in the bilges where air and the light of day and maintenance cant and don't reach. The good Dutch builders often have a handle on that problem and their steel boats seem to fair better than many others. Aluminum the more costly option does not have that problem but both steel and aluminum have the chemical and electrical degradation problems that a wood composite hull without metal fasteners does not have. Steel like wood composite must be fully protected from moisture so no difference there. I concede steel and aluminum are better for much larger craft and for breaking ice and rock.

Ed, perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I have no doubts that steel and wood both have their critics. It just seems to me that the mere mention of a wooden boat nowadays is met most often by a very skeptical glare.

And if you mention it to a banker, there answer most often is they don't lend money on wooden boats.

Balsa Core

I was also surprised by this info that there was some balsa core below the waterline....

Capt. Dave Forsman, Pilgrim 40 "LIBERTY", Hull number 43 had a conversation with Mike Gozzard (35 minutes, 12/21/2010)

I originally called Gozzard with two requests. One thing led to another and we discussed quite a range of Pilgrim related items. Some of these items might be of interest to other Pilgrim owners so I transcribed the conversation, as I took notes while we were talking. Thanks to Mike for taking the time out his day to talk to me.

3) While removing a few unused though hull fittings I found the hull to be balsa cored, which surprised me as everything I read said the hulls were solid glass. When we did our purchase survey, I didn’t use a moisture meter on the bottom (wouldn’t work anyway due to the hard, copper based bottom paint), but rather used a hammer to do percussion sounding. We never found any suspect areas in the hull although the rudder and select areas of the deck were another story. When I mentioned to Mike that I wasn’t expecting to find the balsa core, he told me that as far as he knew that every Pilgrim built had ½” core that started about a foot from the turn of the bilge above the keel and ran up to the rub rail.

This led into a discussion of wet core and what to do regarding moisture readings. Evidently Gozzard (probably like most builders) has gotten a lot experience in recent years in fixing damp/wet/rotten core.

Assuming you are using a Skipper Moister Meter, this will read 11% on new, out of the box, core from Baltec. Less than 12% is obviously ok (perfect), 14% to 17% is marginal and anything over 20% needs repair. When repairing core, Mike suggested cutting the area open then using a probe type meter on the actual core. Any core that is 16% or over should be replaced, less than that and there is no point in removing that core as it is essentially fine.

My experiences last fall followed along those lines. We had an area just aft of the step on the starboard side deck that was soft. It metered wet, and when percussion tested, sounded dead, dead, dead. Since the previous owner of LIBERTY had recently replaced all the tankage in the so-called basement, all the tanks were new and one of them never had the installation finished.

Fortunately that was the tank under the wet deck allowing us relatively easy access to that region. Since we had the access, I decided to do the repair work from underneath the deck, more for the cultural experience than anything else. It would also allow us to use the boat while I was fooling with this repair. I marked off an area that was about 4’ in length by the entire width of the deck. I thought that since I was doing this it made sense to cut out anything that metered damp. The worst area was at the deck fill for the old water tank. It didn’t appear there was any bedding compound around that fill and it had been leaking for a long time.

The core was black and totally rotten in this area. The underside of the decking peeled right off in this region. As we got further from the rotten area and into the damp areas, the deck got harder and harder to remove. I wanted the glass to come off in one piece as I was going to re-use it so I was driving a small, long handled slick (big chisel) between the glass and the core.

Since I made a perimeter cut to start, I was committed to taking off the entire piece. After much effort I did succeed but found that damp core to be structurally sound; in other words I over did the removal. For those that are interested, the top skin of the deck is about ¼” thick as is the bottom skin. The core is ½”. The boat deck core is 1” thick, at least above the pilot house.

There are real good reasons for using modern vacuum bagging when building composite structures as a lot of boat builders are now doing. Laying up glass/balsa structures in the traditional way can result in a resin starved area at the transition region between the glass and end grain balsa due to inadequate clamping pressure during lamination. If water gets in, it can wick its way down the structure, wetting the balsa from the top or bottom, but not from the side. This is what I found on the underside of our deck. A slight gap between the underside of the deck where the balsa was not firmly attached allowed the migration of the water and making a bad situation worse.

As a side note, where outboard scoop strainers were attached over the inlets on the through hulls, these areas metered damp, some as high as 16%, right around the through hull. What I found was the strainers were screwed into the hull with the screws piercing the core, no potting around the fasteners. This of course allowed moisture access to the core. After pulling the through hull and leaving it open to the air over the winter, the maximum moisture content dropped to 15%. This area was filled in with solid glass and epoxy, and regions that will receive fasteners for the strainers were cored out and backfilled with epoxy making sure there is not a continuation of this problem. Though hulls that had no strainers fitted metered perfectly dry.

Dave Forsman
LIBERTY, #43

I was also surprised by this info that there was some balsa core below the waterline....

Interesting....Brian, I am also surprised that there was some balsa core below the waterline.

We did not find balsa core below the waterline on our vessel.

The 1988 Pilgrim 40 "Liberty" is hull number 43 out of all registered hull numbers of 45.

Our 1986 Pilgrim 40 "Real Mountie" is hull number 28.

Please take note that registered hull numbers 3,4,7 and hull number 25 (This hull number was assigned to a Bayfield 40) were never built according to Jan Gozzard at North Castle Marine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom