Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good video. Informative, sensible, clear. Maribel is a nice platform for the demo.

Beat you to it. We have a combination microwave/convection oven with an induction range stowed below.

View attachment 23430

We pull out the range when we want to use it. 15 amps maximum draw.

View attachment 23431

By 'range' I believe you are referring to the 'induction cooktop' ?

You might find these other discussions of interest concerning inductive cooking. I'm surprised at some of the 'current draw' sited by some posters !!
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/induction-cooktops-12898.html#post199075

BTW, who is the manufacturer of your unit?

I'm over in Thailand at the moment and went looking thru a few stores. WOW, quite a selection of inductive cook-tops here, and many pretty reasonable price.

Man-Hrs for Steel Hull Construction (part 1)

I think its time to take a more direct approach to this question of the cost to build this redesigned trawler I am proposing. We need to go to some steel boat fabricators and see if we can get some quotes from them to build the hull shell portion of the vessel. .....

Does anyone have a good email address for this builder??
Custom Steel Boats, in NC
::::: CUSTOM STEEL BOATS :::::

I see a link on their webpage, but for some reason it doesn't work for me??

Does anyone have a good email address for this builder??
Custom Steel Boats, in NC
::::: CUSTOM STEEL BOATS :::::

I see a link on their webpage, but for some reason it doesn't work for me??

Can someone read this company's email address for me? Every time I try, I get this message that 'the default mail client is not properly installed',....whatever that means???

Is that because I'm not using outlook express or something like that? I want as little Microsoft crap on my computers as I can get away with, if that's the case. I don't use outlook as my mail client.

BTW, I've got some interesting Thai boating photos to post....will have to find the proper spot.

Last edited:
Building a steel 41 Diesel Duck in Turkey

Interesting steel boat building process in a pictorial presentation:
41-plus construction Page 1

Note mention of 'floating-longs system' on page 2 & 5

And how about his simple reasoning for steel boat construction,
I make NO claims to being a metal worker however, that don't stop me from opinions, and, it seems to me with the "floating longs" and long plate way of building described in Random Thoughts at georgebuehler.co, little if any fill stuff is needed. The hull comes out "fair" and when painted with a flat or semi-gloss paint, looks great. The benefit is if you bang a dock hard you don't chip a 1/4" or bondo, and painting a "ding" is less hassle than a wood hull because there won't be anything beyond the paint surface. Compare that to fixing a "ding" in some Awlgriped or the like finish....

George's Troller Yacht Book makes a lot of sense in terms of design features that significantly reduce production costs. Love them Ducks!

pilgrim 40

saltydog: Well said, a wise philosophy that would have great value to anyone entering in a relationship with any boat, but the pilgrim is really a statement in form and purpose. It's likely that buyers of pilgrims already have a bit of that philosophy to begin with, cuz it's not only a lifestyle, it's a style of a lifestyle. There might be the rare pilgrim fan that think them cute or novel, but i'd guess that the cost of the novelty would make them flinch. True buyers of pilgrims are likely to be damn serious about their boats. The novelty, economy and practicality are all gravy.

Now if i can just allow my manatee to be who she is.

salty dog: Nice to sit back and listen to remarks on 1 of the two boats i'm considering retiring on the other being a manatee:;):d

Gatsby 39

George's Troller Yacht Book makes a lot of sense in terms of design features that significantly reduce production costs. Love them Ducks!

Animal, I thought this other posting of yours was rather interesting, and rather along the same vein of vessel as the Pilgrim design....a Gatsby era boat.

Another beauty along the same lines though with less sail area and no karaoke machine....

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Liberty-Yachts-Gatsby-2613045/Friday-Harbor/WA/United-States

salty dog: bartlett is in tn. not far from memphis. tn river would be home base

Photo Examples of Owner's Vessels

(here are 2 postings I was going to make quite some time ago, but they got lost on my computer,...just found them)

I've been collecting as many photos as I can of both the exteriors and interiors of these Pilgrim vessels as I can find....from both their 'association' website, from archive locations, from current and past 'for sale' listings, etc.
Association:
http://pilgrim-trawlers.wikidot.com/

The purpose was to look at the whole variety of modifications and decorations made by the factory, and by the subsequent owners of individual vessels. It's an interesting study, but still with lots of gaps, as many owners have never really posted photos of their vessels on any public website, and/or the photos that have been posted are very limited in number/selection. (At the moment it appears as though a significant number of photos that were posted to a Yahoo group website have been lost)

Dave Forsman (owner of “Liberty”) has done a very admiral job of organizing the list and history of these vessels. Here is his master list:
http://pilgrim-trawlers.wikidot.com/fleet

Meantime here are a few of the photos for posting on this discussion....

Solid Color Hulls

Most of the vessels have retained the 'two tone effect' provided by the very wide stripe of a contrasting color down the bulwark of the vessel. I'm actually rather surprised that only a few have chosen solid colors, .....but then again it probably makes for a 'lower profile look.

EVERGREEN (prior to)
Bow~01,%20ps.jpg

Two vessels that are exceptions to this 2 tone treatment are:
EVERGREEN after conversion to a solid dark green hull
1,%20640.jpg
93611_1400951.jpg

REAL MOUNTIE
dcjiajij,%20ps.jpg
bedifcde,%20ps.jpg
ecdhcjfd,%20ps.jpg

Brian,

I have actually started a Wiki page documenting the differences in Pilgrims as a function of their build year.

This is a work in progress and will probably take me another month to finish it off. I have another 20 or so changes to document and that will probably grow as I put a little more thought into this project.

There is no direct link from the Pilgrim Wiki site yet as I wanted to wait until I had more or less finished it, but here is a back door to the page:

Differences - PILGRIM Trawlers

Fantastic info,...very nice work.

I've been over in Thailand the last 2 months, and on several occasions I found some areas that would be nice to explore and liveaboard for some short periods. I think the next time I am over here (late this summer) I'm going to explore the possibility of building a few of those vessels over here.

There has been a recent change in the laws here that are going to drastically affect 'visiting yachts', and particularly those built outside the country. So a 'home-grown' vessel just might escape those new provisions, and offer a moveable-liveaboard situation for some of those folks that come here with retirement ideas, but not firmly planted on ground that a foreigner can not own over 49% of.

Last edited:
Thai style Pilgrim

I've been over in Thailand the last 2 months, and on several occasions I found some areas that would be nice to explore and liveaboard for some short periods. I think the next time I am over here (late this summer) I'm going to explore the possibility of building a few of those vessels over here.

There has been a recent change in the laws here that are going to drastically affect 'visiting yachts', and particularly those built outside the country. So a 'home-grown' vessel just might escape those new provisions, and offer a moveable-liveaboard situation for some of those folks that come here with retirement ideas, but not firmly planted on ground that a foreigner can not own over 49% of.

Just getting around to organizing some photos I took in Thailand. On one occasion we were visiting the 'floating market city' of Amphawa Of course we saw lots of different vessels, particular of the long-tail variety that I will post elsewhere on the forum.

But this vessel really caught my attention as being somewhat reminiscent of the Pilgrim design. Just give it a little more size, and a little more enclosure....hmmm

Attachments

• DSCF3016.jpg
    DSCF3016.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF3017.jpg
    DSCF3017.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 236
Brian,

Look at the following Link, this yard build a Motor Catamaran with Alu hulls and composite superstructure.

HEINEEK 4800

CeesH

drf6 just left your page on differences-pilgrim trawlers considering a pilgrim, a question for you. no fly bridge and not being able to see aft on some models, how difficult is it back into a slip alone?

A step outside the pilot house on the starboard side is easy, so depends on if this is appropriate for the situation. It's never been an issue for me. The port side is not difficult, but it often ends up with someone between the skipper and the door due to the layout. I usually bow in as the stern is a natural gathering spot and the view of the marina fairway beats looking under the dock most days. Also the electrical and water connections are closer to the bow.

We have only docked the boat from the fly bridge once in four years. You can't see the actual stern from up there as the boat deck goes all the way back. Agree with Salty Dog, we usually dock bow in.

It is a simple matter to poke your head out the starboard door or around the cabinetry to look down the center line and out the doors at the end of the saloon. As we have a newer model we can look over the cabinets.

thanks for information guys, thats a load off as i really like the pilgrims.

I installed a video camera midway up the mast facing aft and this works well. I also like to bow in to keep the view from the lanai nicer and to add privacy.

The view is not any worse then most PH style trawlers.

My boat is a LH prop so it backs to starboard and with the starboard side door right at the helm it makes things simple for backing.

We have a rear facing camera mounted aft, under the boat deck.

View from the helm (temporary mount with blue tape until we were satisfied with the placement):

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 96
thanks for all the info; never would have thought of mounting the camera to the dock,guess it will all work out so many things to consider when choosing a retirment home

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom