Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #301
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
REALMOUNTIE,
Thanks for the video.
Really liked watching the wake of this wonderful hull.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #302

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Nkki

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #303
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
KSS Seminar - Photos and Videos (unedited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
If you combine this quote of mine, along with my previous posting #109....

Take into consideration these two postings, and then read a first hand account of a fellow (JAM) who just recently attended one of Kelsall's workshops
For those of you who might find the photos and video of this KSS building system seminar of interest, here is the latest posting by John Metza over on that multihull forum:

Quote:
Since I only got a couple of request to see the files before I posted them I was going to just add those email addresses to the share list. But since I posted the files I have gotten more than 50 more requests so I changed the sharing type on the folder to be available to anyone with this link. Thus it now functions similar to DropBox. These image files are high resolution so you can zoom in on photos to see details. The videos are even bigger of course.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8F19GqZmyhoUXBma1NUblo2Umc&usp=sha ring

Since I have not had time to edit them or label them, viewing by time stamp (file name) my be the best way to put things in order. If you hover over the icon in the upper right that is composed of 6 horizontal lines you will see that it is named LIST VIEW, that will let you see the full file names better. You can decode the file names as follows:

IMG_20140911_122657_726 = Media recorded Sept 11, 2014, 12:26 PM and 57.726 seconds.

There is a download button too. Feel free to do anything you want with them. Questions welcome, I know before the seminar I would have no idea what is going on!

jam
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #304
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I thought all of the P-40's had the ladder to the roof to the right of the sliding doors.
Just to clear up this ladder subject, what I was commenting on Scotte was a second ladder up front:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drf6
Pilgrim #9, #10 and #18 (possible others) had the second ladder to the boat deck behind the starboard side pilot house door.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #305
Guru

Centerline Queen Berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
I was in Indian Town , Fl. and saw a Pilgram out of the water. Very nice hull. I am thinking about a vessel like her for just ICW and protected water cursing. ..... Do any have center line queens forward.
I was also wondering about how this might be accomplished on the 'redesigned' Prigrim. I think it would be an appealing feature.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #306

The design of the bed placement has leg room on three sides. One cannot stand upright except on the forward side of the bed. Sitting up in the bed has never resulted in me hitting my head. One would be hard pressed to make better use of space under the pilot house sole.
SaltyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #307
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Any of you Pilgrim guys want to trade down ,I'm ready
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #308
Guru

...just recently posted on another subject thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=279463&postcount=947

Quote:
Looking for a tie to Sam Matsumoto boat builder in the late 40s in B.C. Canada. Found this in the search, looks as an active boat according to the current owner of 2013 note.

Lillian Belle | Alan Haig-Brown

Al
Another vessel that reminds me of the Pilgrim 40 design,...thanks for posting Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lillian-Belle_007.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	33972  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #309
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Just to clear up this ladder subject, what I was commenting on Scotte was a second ladder up front:
The ladder near the sliding door was my idea and put on my boat as a custom option at factory. the ladder incorporated the SS roof support strut.The reason for the ladder was that I single handed and wanted a fast way to get off FB and down to the spring line. This ladder may have been copied on other boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #310

City: Waban, MA
Vessel Name: Now Boatless
Vessel Model: Menger
Question Pilgrim 40 Drawings

Can anyone please direct me to the general drawings of the Pilgrim 40. I think I saw a page containing them once, but I cannot find them now.

Thanks,

Wheatear
Wheatear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #311
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Here you go.
General Information - PILGRIM Trawlers
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #312

City: Willsboro Bay Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Send a message via Skype™ to REAL MOUNTIE
All Pilgrim 40 are classics and do have a certain « Je ne sais quoi » (I don't know what)

Our 1986 Pilgrim 40 will be soon considered in Florida state as being eligible for registration as an “antique vessel”, being a 30 year old boat.
I keep a log of maintenance on our boat as we all know that restorations of old boats that were not well maintained over the years are very costly.

I am in the opinion that person who choose to buy a Pilgrim 40 at low cost may find out the hard way as it is just as expensive and may be more expensive refit even if you make a good deal on a fixer upper.

Most surveyors will say that you cannot refit on the cheap. Money being the name of the game. Remember Quality Vs Quantity, this why quality boats like Hatteras, Tiara, Bertram and Viking cost so much is because of the quality materials that go into their construction.

If you haven't got it, I think you must give close consideration to Refit costs VS Resale value.

It might be a mistake for the old boat buyer making an underestimate of putting things back in order in shape.

There is a rule of thumb to allow 50% of a boat cost (in above average condition) for a 100% in poor condition.
This depends on the relationship between replacement value cost (500,000$) for a Pilgrim 40 and the average market asking price depending on equipment options (from 99,000$, 138,000$ and more as listed on the spread sheet of Dates and Listed Prices for Pilgrims dating back as far as 2009).

I am in agreement with my good friend Mike. You do not recover your costs with a new Pilgrim 40.
You do not recover your costs with a new boat, at the same time, you will not recover your costs with a refurbished used boat either.

Pilgrim 40 have enjoyed an excellent reputation, they are not an investment, they are a luxury item for your own pleasure.
While I expect to get more than what I paid, it may not be all that much more.

The questions remains here:

Q1: How much a buyer or owner is willing to spend, now, towards making a Pilgrim 40 looking and function like new?
Q2: How much any available Pilgrim 40 will be worthed in 5, 10, 15 years?
https://pilgrim40forsale.blogspot.ca/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #313

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
For a Pilgrim, I'd force myself to do without the flying b ridge. Have a sliding roof over the helm if you simply must have fresh air.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #314
Guru

[QUOTE=REAL MOUNTIE;317130]All Pilgrim 40 are classics and do have a certain « Je ne sais quoi » (I don't know what)

I owned one and lived aboard for a while and I know What. The P40 is a lovely boat and very efficient. The What is a real roll and I am not talking about something you buy at the bakery. Anyone who is serious about redesigning the P40 should make sure they address that issue or confine the boat to quite no wake water.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #315
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
[QUOTE=eyschulman;317138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL MOUNTIE View Post
All Pilgrim 40 are classics and do have a certain « Je ne sais quoi » (I don't know what)

I owned one and lived aboard for a while and I know What. The P40 is a lovely boat and very efficient. The What is a real roll and I am not talking about something you buy at the bakery. Anyone who is serious about redesigning the P40 should make sure they address that issue or confine the boat to quite no wake water.
here is a P40 here at the Marina he spends a few months on the hook and then comes in for a week or so to the dock to do his work

he told me recently that he now stays on the inside when cruising

it is a beautiful boat and this guy sure takes care of it
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #316

City: Willsboro Bay Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Send a message via Skype™ to REAL MOUNTIE
I agree. All Pilgrim 40 do roll unless You install stabilisers. I guest we all adapted to this fact and secure objects appropriately.
https://pilgrim40forsale.blogspot.ca/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #317
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL MOUNTIE View Post

Our 1986 Pilgrim 40 will be soon considered in Florida state as being eligible for registration as an “antique vessel”, being a 30 year old boat.
I keep a log of maintenance on our boat as we all know that restorations of old boats that were not well maintained over the years are very costly.

I am in the opinion that person who choose to buy a Pilgrim 40 at low cost may find out the hard way as it is just as expensive and may be more expensive refit even if you make a good deal on a fixer upper.

Most surveyors will say that you cannot refit on the cheap. Money being the name of the game. Remember Quality Vs Quantity, this why quality boats like Hatteras, Tiara, Bertram and Viking cost so much is because of the quality materials that go into their construction.

If you haven't got it, I think you must give close consideration to Refit costs VS Resale value.

It might be a mistake for the old boat buyer making an underestimate of putting things back in order in shape.

There is a rule of thumb to allow 50% of a boat cost (in above average condition) for a 100% in poor condition.
This depends on the relationship between replacement value cost (500,000$) for a Pilgrim 40 and the average market asking price depending on equipment options (from 99,000$, 138,000$ and more as listed on the spread sheet of Dates and Listed Prices for Pilgrims dating back as far as 2009).

I am in agreement with my good friend Mike. You do not recover your costs with a new Pilgrim 40.
You do not recover your costs with a new boat, at the same time, you will not recover your costs with a refurbished used boat either.

Pilgrim 40 have enjoyed an excellent reputation, they are not an investment, they are a luxury item for your own pleasure.
While I expect to get more than what I paid, it may not be all that much more.

The questions remains here:

Q1: How much a buyer or owner is willing to spend, now, towards making a Pilgrim 40 looking and function like new?
Q2: How much any available Pilgrim 40 will be worthed in 5, 10, 15 years?
Ted Gozzard built great boats. The sailboats are blue water classics. Some of us would give our eye tooth for a well maintained Pilgrim at a reasonable price.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #318

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
This exercise in 'Redesigning the Pilgrim 40' may turn out to just be a mental exercise. It may never happen in reality, but it will be an interesting mental project.

http://pilgrim-trawlers.wikidot.com/[/QUOTE]

Not a redesign of the Pilgrim. I've always liked the looks of the Pilgrim 40, but I think I'd ultimately like a larger more commodious vessel. Here is my version, admittedly less graceful in hull. But I've always liked a boxy work boat aesthetic.

Name:	553 logo c.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	38333

Name:	553 logo b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	38334

Name:	553 logo a.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	38335
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #319
Guru

Tegdesign while the boat you show us may be a perfectly good boat I see little about it that would make me think P40 it is very much more like the garden variety trawler. I think the P40 from the waterline up is a great boat as is, some internal juggling of accommodation is acceptable but for me not needed. The only redesign I see the need for is the underbody. The American Tug and the Nordic Tugs have gone some way to address that they do no however have the full ambience of the P40 from the dock or looking out from the boat. Maybe all the P40 needs is a foot more keel and some anti roll wing fins or perhaps no deep keel and no fins and just a gyroscopic stabilization system. Remember the P40 was never meant as an open water boat and that I am very sure of since I had a long eye to eye talk with T.G. about that. Any redesign that would make the P 40 a open water boat would no longer be anything like a P 40. Any stabilization should be aimed at comfort from wake mainly not to handle big waves. That people take boats like the P 40 out in open big water and get away with it means little all kinds of unsuitable craft have made passages safely its just not what this boat was meant for nor is it wise to use it that way..
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #320

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
My first sentence after the quote really is specific That this it's not a redesign of the P40. You may not see the similarities in design language. Certainly different in function. My design isn't meant to be a copy or reproduction of any existing vessel. If I could add a hull appendage to an existing production boat to achieve my ideal boat wouldn't I be lucky!

Some people are quite literally minded. But design is subjective. For example to me Nordic and American tugs look like Roto molded kayaks and have the authentic street cred of a PT Cruiser.

tegdesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coastal trawler, liveaboard, pilgrim