Old 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #261

Salty Dog has round non-opening ports in the stateroom.
Story Page
Hull #5, but the 3rd one built.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #262
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Thai style Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I've been over in Thailand the last 2 months, and on several occasions I found some areas that would be nice to explore and liveaboard for some short periods. I think the next time I am over here (late this summer) I'm going to explore the possibility of building a few of those vessels over here.

There has been a recent change in the laws here that are going to drastically affect 'visiting yachts', and particularly those built outside the country. So a 'home-grown' vessel just might escape those new provisions, and offer a moveable-liveaboard situation for some of those folks that come here with retirement ideas, but not firmly planted on ground that a foreigner can not own over 49% of.
Just getting around to organizing some photos I took in Thailand. On one occasion we were visiting the 'floating market city' of Amphawa Of course we saw lots of different vessels, particular of the long-tail variety that I will post elsewhere on the forum.

But this vessel really caught my attention as being somewhat reminiscent of the Pilgrim design. Just give it a little more size, and a little more enclosure....hmmm
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3016.jpg   DSCF3017.jpg  
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #263

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Brian,

Look at the following Link, this yard build a Motor Catamaran with Alu hulls and composite superstructure.

HEINEEK 4800

CeesH
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #264

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
drf6 just left your page on differences-pilgrim trawlers considering a pilgrim, a question for you. no fly bridge and not being able to see aft on some models, how difficult is it back into a slip alone?
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #265

A step outside the pilot house on the starboard side is easy, so depends on if this is appropriate for the situation. It's never been an issue for me. The port side is not difficult, but it often ends up with someone between the skipper and the door due to the layout. I usually bow in as the stern is a natural gathering spot and the view of the marina fairway beats looking under the dock most days. Also the electrical and water connections are closer to the bow.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #266
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
We have only docked the boat from the fly bridge once in four years. You can't see the actual stern from up there as the boat deck goes all the way back. Agree with Salty Dog, we usually dock bow in.

It is a simple matter to poke your head out the starboard door or around the cabinetry to look down the center line and out the doors at the end of the saloon. As we have a newer model we can look over the cabinets.
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #267

thanks for information guys, thats a load off as i really like the pilgrims.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #268
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
I installed a video camera midway up the mast facing aft and this works well. I also like to bow in to keep the view from the lanai nicer and to add privacy.

The view is not any worse then most PH style trawlers.

My boat is a LH prop so it backs to starboard and with the starboard side door right at the helm it makes things simple for backing.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #269
Veteran Member

We have a rear facing camera mounted aft, under the boat deck.

View from the helm (temporary mount with blue tape until we were satisfied with the placement):
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #270

thanks for all the info; never would have thought of mounting the camera to the dock,guess it will all work out so many things to consider when choosing a retirment home
Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #271
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
thanks for all the info; never would have thought of mounting the camera to the dock,guess it will all work out so many things to consider when choosing a retirment home

I have never thought of mounting a camera to the dock, but if wireless I guess it would help.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #272
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drf6 View Post
We have a rear facing camera mounted aft, under the boat deck.
I think he was referring to the top deck of the vessel, not the dock.

......camera under the top deck at the stern?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #273
Guru

I am new to site. used to own one of the early P 40s. I used truck rear view mirrors mounted outside wheelhouse worked well, cheap and low tech. My boat was on east coast and sold back to great lakes. If the present owner is on site say hallo we called her Serena. There where SS ladders aft of siding door to get to the roof I do not think any other boat had that custom touch there was also a pad on stern for a get home outboard motor mount. Could adjust mirrors to see both rear quarters from helm.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #274
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
Brian,
Look at the following Link, this yard build a Motor Catamaran with Alu hulls and composite superstructure.
HEINEEK 4800
CeesH
I know you were referring to the dual material construction of that vessel, and not so much to the vessel itself. I wasn't very impressed with that design for a canal boat. Why make it wider than necessary for canal work, and why have twin engines....just more expense in purchase and maintanence....etc.

I find these canal boats much more appealing:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Living aboard a French canal boat

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Living aboard a French canal boat

But, on that same theme of dual construction materials, here is a new cat with alum hulls and composite topsides:
Quote:
French manufacturer JFA just launched the first unit of their new Long Island class, an 85-foot sailing catamaran. In a slight departure from what is considered the norm these days, instead of composite, the hulls were manufactured in aluminium. However, the superstructure was done in composite. The design of the Long Island 85-footer is by Naval Architect Marc Lombard. ..New Launch: JFA Long Island 85' sailing catamaran - YachtForums.Com
Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #275
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I am new to site. used to own one of the early P 40s. I used truck rear view mirrors mounted outside wheelhouse worked well, cheap and low tech. My boat was on east coast and sold back to great lakes. If the present owner is on site say hallo we called her Serena. There where SS ladders aft of siding door to get to the roof I do not think any other boat had that custom touch there was also a pad on stern for a outboard motor mount. Could adjust mirrors to see both rear quarters from helm.
Hello Ed,...and welcome to this forum...
Yes I remember seeing a ladder like that on one of the many photos I saved....forgot which boat. I'll try to look it up if no one else replies.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #276
Guru

Just throwing this curve ball in here. J Benford has designed many steel hulled small tug hulls(see book small ships) with computer generated plating lay ups. I would think in redesigning the P 40 one of these hulls with a stich and glue top structure in line with the original P 40 would make a awesome boat. I would add some significant bilge keels to mitigate the rolling issues. Hallo Brian see my post newbee on welcome matt.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #277
Veteran Member

To answer a few questions....

Camera on LIBERTY is mounted to the side of the veranda doors, protected by the boat deck.

Pilgrim #9, #10 and #18 (possible others) had the second ladder to the boat deck behind the starboard side pilot house door.
Attached Thumbnails
camera_loc.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #278

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I know you were referring to the dual material construction of that vessel, and not so much to the vessel itself. I wasn't very impressed with that design for a canal boat. Why make it wider than necessary for canal work, and why have twin engines....just more expense in purchase and maintanence....etc................................ .............
Its indeed about the intelligent use of modern materials. I personaly have nothing with Canal Boats.

CeesH
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #279
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
....There where SS ladders aft of siding door to get to the roof I do not think any other boat had that custom touch .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drf6 View Post
To answer a few questions....
Pilgrim #9, #10 and #18 (possible others) had the second ladder to the boat deck behind the starboard side pilot house door.
This is the one photo I remember saving....
Attached Thumbnails
note ladder to flybridge, P7170149.JPG  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #280
Guru

Brian close but probably not my boat. My bowsprit had a steel rod(single )support but shorter and a ridding sail and boom(could have come off) My boat was a very early model maybe 3-7. If you come across one with a big square chunk of teak on stern (mid line) at oak rail level with a slide on OB motor bracket mount for get home and it is #3-#7 that would be it.I am thinking maybe #5 with a fly bridge First design had no bridge and no second head -no mast and no side ladder all items I asked for at Annapolis show first time P40 displayed. It's amazing how good P40s look just a real modern classic. There are a couple here in the NW. Actually I met a couple who trucked one from St MIchals MD to Seattle and I had been on the boat in Maryland in the Eighties. I think that boat had a Cummins motor and an unusual custom twist to the interior the details of which I can't remember.

Tags
coastal trawler, liveaboard, pilgrim