Red October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Just a funny. The wife and I sat down to watch some tv and I was watching Red October. She said and I quote "you always get on me about watching the same shows over and over, lets watch something new"...................I informed her that that rule doesn't apply to war movies....I've seen that movie about 20 times I think, I love it. I know when the Rose is moving the RO DVD will be the first item abroad. Have a good night!

Anything with SC in it is pretty good.

Run Silent, Run Deep; Flight of the Intruder; both on board and in a ready status at all times. Can't enjoy RO - too familiar with the real item.

My bro was a kid VietNam Marine grunt - can't take Full Metal Jacket - but loves The DI. A bud is a homocide detective - can't stand cop shows.

At this stage of our marriage, the only time and can watch RO again is if the wife is out of town.

Das boot and U-571 are also on my list

Hunt fo Red October

Just a funny. The wife and I sat down to watch some tv and I was watching Red October. She said and I quote "you always get on me about watching the same shows over and over, lets watch something new"...................I informed her that that rule doesn't apply to war movies....I've seen that movie about 20 times I think, I love it. I know when the Rose is moving the RO DVD will be the first item abroad. Have a good night!
Good movie, but I am a Top Gun guy even though I was on nuke subs. I worked with the blond Lieutenant for 20 years.

Attachments

• Mark Hunt fo Red October.jpg
    Mark Hunt fo Red October.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 102
Not exactly a war movie, but I believe the movie I have seen the most times by my choice (there is a movie I have seen more times, but only because the people -- mainly women -- in my life like to watch it: Sound of Music), is Dr. Strangelove. I commented to my wife that I am anxious to watch it again and she (having seen it only a couple of times and never having really absorbed its subtleties) is ready to watch with me.

Last edited:
speaking of music classics--how about a shout out for Moby Dick with Gregory Peck as Capt Ahab. love it!

sorry--not music classics. movie classics

looking forward to "In the heart of the sea." Great book. hope the movie does it justice

looking forward to "In the heart of the sea." Great book. hope the movie does it justice

That was a good one, although very dark (as you might expect). My favorite lately was The Finest Hours. Coast Guard rescue off Mass in the 1950's. One of the best boat movies in years in my opinion. Just came out of the theaters though, not sure it's available at home yet.

I am so sick of the Home Network and the damn Food Network!
Every so often one of my friends will need a man's night. We'll get together without the women, watch The Big Labowski, drink White Russians, and tell lies.

1) The Guns of Navarone; 2) any other Alistair Maclean movies (Ice Station Zebra, Satan Bug, etc.)

Most of the movies that are mentioned are right up there but Red October tops my list. I just watch it over and over again.

Greetings,
The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming. "Boat" goes aground, hilarity ensues. My favorite bar none.

My all time favorite, I have the VHS, I have the DVD and I have an original poster in my home theater.

Captains Courageous.

Unfortunately, every time I tried to get my children to watch it, as soon as they saw it was black and white, they ran screaming from the room! Maybe when they are older and wiser.

Some great movies mentioned here already. Some of my favourite war classics are Sink the Bismark, The Cruel Sea, The Battle of Britain, The Malta Story and not quite in the same vain but love Operation Petticoat.
Some great tv series are also coming out on DVD now as well. Series one and two of War Ship the English series is out but I'd love to get my hands on a DVD copy of the Australian ABC Patrol Boat series.

Last edited:
Every so often one of my friends will need a man's night. We'll get together without the women, watch The Big Labowski, drink White Russians, and tell lies.

"Not on the rug, man!" Yes, TBL is on my list of five films I couldn't live without on a desert island. Check out the Lebowski Fest site: https://lebowskifest.com

Connection? Certainly, Dude. A strong "White Russian" sailed aboard the Red October.

The book is on my reading list, but we saw the movie the other night. Very well done. Lots of detail and realism.

Btw, in the "extras" was the real story of the Essex.

War movies eh? Great topic, I must confess I'm a total addict. I have collected them from all over the world back to the earliest days of film. Wife hates them.

For comedic relief, The Great Dictator by Charlie Chaplin is among my many favourites.

Red October...they went into Pamlico Sound (NC) which on a good day is no where near deep enough anywhere. Still a great movie and one of my all time favorites.

I stumbled on an interesting one while searching for John Wayne movies.

Sea Chase.

Wayne plays a German steamer capt in the early days of WW2. Not his trademark role.

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

What about The Final Countdown? Imagine what would have happened with the Nimitz time warped back to December 6th, 1941.

The African Queen. I drank a lot of Gordon's Gin after watching this classic but final gave into Tanqueray.

"The African Queen. I drank a lot of Gordon's Gin after watching this classic but final gave into Tanqueray. "

Now you're talking. C.S. Forester, Bogey and Hepburn, great movie even better book.

For several years now they have been having a Bogart Film Festival in Key Largo.
I think his son does it. I can't think of a better place to watch Bogart films. Not only is the island named after one of his films but the real African Queen from the movie is docked there.

The "African Queen" is probably the root cause of why:

1. I became an engineer,

2. Addicted to boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom