Recreational Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Conrad; said:
Usually when I'm asked what kind of a boat I have, I tell them it's a power boat (vs a sail boat) and the conversation goes no further.

Conrad, you nailed it, right there.
Generally we refer to them as my/our boat. I find, when people "hear" you have a boat and they ask what kind, it is usually that power vs sail question. When they "see" your boat, they either ignore it or say "nice boat" and if they ask what kind they usually mean what brand.

Northern Spy; said:
I tell them a Nordic Tug 26. It's more specific. If they know boats, they know what it is. If they don't know boats, using the words trawler or tug would confuse them, because it is neither. I usually tell them it is a blue boat. They seem happy with that description, and they don't have to maintain a false pretence that they are interested in boats.

Bingo!
One of my pals rode a big thumping Yamaha and even though there were very noticeable differences, often when we were parked together, people, mostly guys, would say "nice Harleys."
Most of the time we allowed them their innocent ignorance, not caring to crush their manly knowledge in front of the little woman...the little woman often having bleached hair which didn't make her a blonde...either.

Every once in a while though, buddy would point to his, with a little shake of the head and say "Japanese bike" at which point I would point to mine and say "Mexican bike."
End of dialogue.

A friend in Sayward owns a trawler and though he no longer fishes with it, it's still a trawler. Probably always will be unless someone turns it into a "converted fish boat."

Then, it will no more be a trawler than Marin's toy boat.

Sailor of Fortune works on a tug; a big tug and when he's off, he recreates, or tries to, on his boat.

I remember the first "cabin cruiser" that our neighbours in Powell River built; a 16 footer with a huge 18HP Johnson outboard and a "flying bridge." From that moment on, the marine dictionary would be endlessly bastardized.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Lowered Pilothouse?

Attachments

• 16' CC.png
    16' CC.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 166
When someone learns that I have a boat they often ask "What kind of boat do you have?". I tell them it's a trawler and they understand. Isn't that what language is about? Communicating?

The people you have been speaking to are the extreme exception, I think. In conversations (in English) all over the world with people who know something or a lot about boats and people who know nothing about boats, when I have used the word "trawler" I have gotten one of only two responses.

1. What's that?
2. You mean a fishing boat, right?

That's it. Nobody has had even an inkling that the word "trawler" is connected with a recreational boat.

So I stopped using that term to describe our boat or boats like it. Primarily because it's flat out inaccurate but also because nobody knows what kind of boat I'm actually talking about.

Interestingly enough, when I use the term "cabin cruiser," everyone seems to know the kind of boat I'm talking about even if they know nothing about boats and regardless of which country I'm in. So much for the notion that using "old fashioned" words isn't communicating.

In my experience, using the word "trawler" to mean a toy boat is anything but communicating outside of the very tiny group of people like those on this forum who use the term to mean a toy boat of some kind.

I think Northern Spy has the correct approach with regards to what to call his boat.

As for me and my wife, whenever anyone asks us what kind of boat we have we don't use words at all anymore. We simply pull out our phones and punch up the following photo. It provides an instant, crystal clear answer to anyone who asks the question regardless of location, nationality, language or maritime knowledge.

This is communicating in the real world.:)

Attachments

• La Perouse.jpg
    La Perouse.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Like Marin, I pull out the phone and show people a picture. Unlike Marin, I tell them it's a recreational trawler. If they are still curious I do like Art and tell them the particulars till their eyes gloss over. Since my mother described my last trawler as "Two bedroom, two bath" I've decided that works just fine for most non-boaters.

Last edited:
I tell them a Nordic Tug 26. It's more specific. If they know boats, they know what it is. If they don't know boats, using the words trawler or tug would confuse them, because it is neither. I usually tell them it is a blue boat. They seem happy with that description, and they don't have to maintain a false pretence that they are interested in boats.
If someone asks me what type of boat I have, I can't see any good reason to be evasive or provide a smart ass answer. I tell them I have a trawler. That gives them a mental picture of the boat.

If you think I am wrong calling it a trawler, that's fine, you go ahead and think what you want. It won't change my mind. To the general public, if it looks like a trawler, it's a trawler.

At the end of day most folks do not care what type of a boat we own, they just want a ride.

... At this point heavy cruiser is no doubt less comunicative than trawler. ...

"Heavy cruiser" to me means the likes of the USS Pensacola, USS Astoria, USS Quincy, USS Chicago, etc.

"Light cruiser" reminds me of the USS Hobart, USS Santa Fe, USS Birmingham, USS Mobile, etc.

If someone asks me what type of boat I have, I can't see any good reason to be evasive or provide a smart ass answer. I tell them I have a trawler. That gives them a mental picture of the boat.

If you think I am wrong calling it a trawler, that's fine, you go ahead and think what you want. It won't change my mind. To the general public, if it looks like a trawler, it's a trawler.

Not being a smart ass at all. I just prefer to converse from more specific to less specific, so I start start with specifics, instead of generalities.

If you asked my what kind of car my wife dives, I'd say an 2012 Acura MDX. I drive a 1988 Toyota LandCruiser HJ-61 or a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ-40.

I could tell you we both drive SUVs, but that is a generalization.

If you know what they are, they are worlds apart in purpose and capabilities, but somehow they are all SUVs. Her MDX is relatively quick and luxurious, the HJ is more suited for expedition duty, and the 40 is akin to an agricultural implement.

It would seem that word trawler is even more ambiguous.

Like Marin, I'll usually show a picture as well. The most frequent comment is... "Oh, it's blue!"

Last edited:
Like Marin, I pull out the phone and show people a picture. Unlike Marin, I tell them it's a recreational trawler. If they are still curious I do like Art and tell them the particulars till their eyes gloss over. Since my mother described my last trawler as "Two bedroom, two bath" I've decided that works just fine for most non-boaters.

With no drive way and unlimited self hydrating yard-space 360 degrees around... LOL

I despise looking at phone pics. It usually ends up having to look at endless "grand kid" pics, after having been forced to look at the boat/car/bike/dog/horse/etc. pics. If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT". Thats the main reason you dont, and wont, read about how much crap I have in my sig line.

Not being a smart ass at all. I just prefer to converse from more specific to less specific, so I start start with specifics, instead of generalities.

If you asked my what kind of car my wife dives, I'd say an 2012 Acura MDX. I drive a 1988 Toyota LandCruiser HJ-61 or a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ-40.

I could tell you we both drive SUVs, but that is a generalization.

If you know what they are, they are worlds apart in purpose and capabilities, but somehow they are all SUVs. Her MDX is relatively quick and luxurious, the HJ is more suited for expedition duty, and the 40 is akin to an agricultural implement.

It would seem that word trawler is even more ambiguous.

Like Marin, I'll usually show a picture as well. The most frequent comment is... "Oh, it's blue!"

Most frequent comments I get when showing picture(s): Wow, that looks expensive! Little do they know just how affordable this wonderful "Pleasure-Trip" of boating really all is... if you really know how to handle things - correctly!!! :dance:

Last edited:
If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT".

Sounds like somebody needs a newer and bigger cellphone!

I wont even make a person look at pics on my tablet. But, I also wont sit next to another person while texting some one else. That, to me, is beyond rude. But I'm kinda old school. Even if I'm as happy as a 2 peckered billy goat about my boat I'm still not gonna show phone pictures of it to people that mostly dont know or care. To me its just to much "bragging".

I wont even make a person look at pics on my tablet. But, I also wont sit next to another person while texting some one else. That, to me, is beyond rude. But I'm kinda old school. Even if I'm as happy as a 2 peckered billy goat about my boat I'm still not gonna show phone pictures of it to people that mostly dont know or care. To me its just to much "bragging".

Yo, Klaus - Picts of your boat(s)? OK to show em on TF... no bragging is required but it is permissible if desired.

I kinda brag a little that I realllllly like our finely built classic Tollycraft and super fun tow-behind Crestliner runabout.

What's U got to show??? Come on... throw us a bone; err boat!

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 52
  • The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 47
  • WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I despise looking at phone pics.... If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT".

Now THAT's a great example of Flywright's earlier point about current and old fashioned communications.

It's an increasingly visual world. In the course of a creative meeting the other day one of my co-workers told us how his daughter and her friends communicate with their phones today. They often don't even enter words into their messages but instead snap selfies with the facial expression they feel conveys what they want to express. He says it's downright bizzarre to watch his daughter hold one of these conversations which can go on for quite awhile. He says he had no idea the human face could convey so many meanings.

So it seems that humans are finally achieving the same sophistication of communications as animals, which of course have been using expressions and body language to communicate without words forever.

As to "tiny little phone," that, too, is an indication of old fashioned communications. Some of the phones today are getting ridiculously large. But the real point is that phones have become the standard means of communicating on the planet both with words and pictures on the screen. We recently had a very complex repair and replacement project carried out on our PNW cabin cruiser. The yard foreman in charge of the project sent me text message photos to illustrate things they'd found and the results of their work.

The crew that recently put an entire new roof on our house--- sheathing, shingles, gutters, etc.--- did the same thing. If they wanted to show us something they'd found or were doing they snapped a phone photo and climbed down and showed it to us.

Last year in Taipei we filmed the process of removing the landing gear from a 777-300ER and replacing it with brand new gear. The MRO doing the work, one of the best shops in the world, took iPhone photos detailing everything they were doing and these became the official record of the project. No write-ups, just files of phone photos.

Small is the new large.

My new pickup has two screens, one in front of the driver and one in the center of the console. Both of them have dozens of different displays that can be punched up. The text on the screens is no larger than the text message font on my company Blackberry. If the letters are 1/8" high I'd be surprised; they're probably smaller. But thanks to a world where smartphones, tablets, Kindles and iPads have become the communications standard, I find the "tiny" text on the screens in the truck to be perfectly normal.

More and more today when I am describing something to friends, particularly the 20 and 30 somethings although 50 and 60 somethings seem to be no different, the first thing I'm asked is "Got a picture of it on your phone?"

Last edited:
I rarely need to search for words to describe my boat. I tell them it's a Krogen Manatee, and it's perfectly named. Picture a fat ole rolly-polly lady wallowing upon the water, that's it.

Often say mine is a slow, 35-foot motor boat, which can't exceed eight (statute) miles an hour.

The people you have been speaking to are the extreme exception, ...........

BS. They are normal people. Someone in the doctor's office, dentist office, just regular people off the street.

Well, doctors and dentists would certainly know what a "trawler" is as they are smack dab in the middle of the target market the bogus term was hatched up for by the marketing folks in the first place.:rofl:

Often say mine is a slow, 35-foot motor boat, which can't exceed eight (statute) miles an hour.

Can it make a wake?

The nice thing about slow and steady is it's easier to stay out of trouble.

I'm moving slower and unsteadier all the time.

I have a story. The other cofounder of this site had a Fales "Trawler". A Willard knock off. We were going by the Kemah boardwalk and an 8 year old kid says, "Did y'all catch any shrimp?". So an 8 year old kid that has no clue about boats THINKS it's a trawler based on design alone. Pretty close to being a trawler in my book...even without the nets...;)

That boat is now owned by a current TF member.

John,

That's a good one, and actually mirrors the reactions I have had from strangers of all types from experienced boaters to vacationers walking the docks in the marina. I hear "Trawler" or "Fishing Boat" frequently. Some see the mast and get really confused. Mostly I hear "What is it?".

My step father, a prominent architect and engineer, refers to it as a "Ship" for some reason. His only experience on the water was a Liberty ship in WWII.

When asked, I normally just call it "My Little Boat" or a "Small Pilothouse Trawler" because calling it a "Fales 30" just draws blank looks. I even tried calling it a "Willard Clone", and, of course they didn't know what a Willard was either.

It really stands out among the typical modern family cruisers (Sea Ray's) that are popular in this area. Every comment I have ever received was complimentary, it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included! :rofl:

John,

That's a good one, and actually mirrors the reactions I have had from strangers of all types from experienced boaters to vacationers walking the docks in the marina. I hear "Trawler" or "Fishing Boat" frequently. Some see the mast and get really confused. Mostly I hear "What is it?".

My step father, a prominent architect and engineer, refers to it as a "Ship" for some reason. His only experience on the water was a Liberty ship in WWII.

When asked, I normally just call it "My Little Boat" or a "Small Pilothouse Trawler" because calling it a "Fales 30" just draws blank looks. I even tried calling it a "Willard Clone", and, of course they didn't know what a Willard was either.

It really stands out among the typical modern family cruisers (Sea Ray's) that are popular in this area. Every comment I have ever received was complimentary, it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included! :rofl:

How Bout: Heck of a nice boat! :D

it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included! :rofl:

I guess I could call mine a "Wallet". It's where my money goes. :blush:

Ted

A former armed forces veteran informed me that as my vessel was built
for the army as a "compact coastal combat vessel" she should never be
demeaned by any designation lower than a "Ship".
I will now :hide: and let the flack fly. :lol:

Ted

A former armed forces veteran informed me that as my vessel was built
for the army as a "compact coastal combat vessel" she should never be
demeaned by any designation lower than a "Ship".
I will now :hide: and let the flack fly. :lol:

Ted

Ted, she is a ship, and a mighty fine ship!

And I will always say that while you have that howitzer mounted on your foredeck.....

Hawgwash : Thanks, I didn't word that well did I?

Conrad: Thanks, But I think Mark has the armament now. I haven't been given
access to Charlton Hessten's gun room yet.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom