Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #141
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
.....because most folks when they see a Manatee are stumped by it's good looks and nautical mystic.
Say what???!!!!

Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #142
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
"Say what" indeed. Beer goggles?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #143
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Naval architects identify nine types of vessels, Yachts being the type we have. Most folks think telling someone you own a yacht might give them the impression that your the yacht club type blue blazer, white shorts and knee socks, etc. Using the term trawler denotes a more blue jeans tee shirt type. I'm going to try using "Kroghaven" because most folks when they see a Manatee are stumped by it's good looks and nautical mystic.
Huh???
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #144
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anything designed by Noah can't be all bad.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #145
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Anything designed by Noah can't be all bad.
Noah was not the designer... just the builder! Ya know, build to suite and all that stuff...
Old 01-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #146
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
When someone learns that I have a boat they often ask "What kind of boat do you have?". I tell them it's a trawler and they understand. Isn't that what language is about? Communicating?

I tell them a Nordic Tug 26. It's more specific. If they know boats, they know what it is. If they don't know boats, using the words trawler or tug would confuse them, because it is neither. I usually tell them it is a blue boat. They seem happy with that description, and they don't have to maintain a false pretence that they are interested in boats.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #147
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I tell them a Nordic Tug 26. It's more specific. If they know boats, they know what it is. If they don't know boats, using the words trawler or tug would confuse them, because it is neither. I usually tell them it is a blue boat. They seem happy with that description, and they don't have to maintain a false pretence that they are interested in boats.
Usually when I'm asked what kind of a boat I have, I tell them it's a power boat (vs a sail boat) and the conversation goes no further.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #148
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes Spy,
Very blue indeed per pics I have seen.
As I've always said I think "Heavy Cruiser" was the most applicable name but it got hyjacked by trawler. At this point heavy cruiser is no doubt less comunicative than trawler. Trawler is fine w me as more people know what my boat is by the name trawler than anything else. I like things that work. For those that actually don't know what a rec trawler is they could (uppon finding out what both trawlers are) say "don't you think that's a bit dishonest?" Never had that or anything similar happen.

A lot of people are calling a car a "ride" now and I think that's absolutely stupid. They do that to imply that they are at or ahead of the pack reguarding who knows what's going on NOW so as not to be associated w people that still use dial up phones. Few want to be known to be "behind the times" .. heavan forbid.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #149
Guru

Maybe when someone identifies their boat as a trawler the next thing to do is ask what makes their boat a trawler? I for one am not too happy with the answer because I know it's one and if you knew what a trawler is you would know. It appears to me that is about where we are with a definition of a recreational evolved language Trawler. Or maybe it is well it has been called a Trawler or I think of it as one.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #150
Art
Guru

When asked what boat I have (I clear-up if it's a boater or not before answering):

Most boat savvy people and I can knowledgably chat about marine items. So my answer to them is simply "A nice 34' Tollycraft tri cabin power cruiser".

But - When asked by non boating people...

I very s-l-o-w-l-y say (while carefully watching their eyes, facial expression, and body language) Our Tolly Is...

- Twin Screw

- Hard Chine

- Tri Cabin - - > Lost 50% to 60% of the non boating askers by this time!

- FRP Construction - - > There goes +/- 25% more non boating askers

- Twin Head - - > Very small % non boaters still remain interested

- Up Galley - - > Nearly no non boaters left

- Fly Bridge - - > Maybe one a year still interested at this point

So... If it gets to this juncture and a non boater is still wanting to hear more... I tell them to visit/join "Trawler Forum" for the best introduction to the power boating world. And, to start reading all they can find about boats on Google.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #151
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad;
Usually when I'm asked what kind of a boat I have, I tell them it's a power boat (vs a sail boat) and the conversation goes no further.
Conrad, you nailed it, right there.
Generally we refer to them as my/our boat. I find, when people "hear" you have a boat and they ask what kind, it is usually that power vs sail question. When they "see" your boat, they either ignore it or say "nice boat" and if they ask what kind they usually mean what brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy;
Bingo!
One of my pals rode a big thumping Yamaha and even though there were very noticeable differences, often when we were parked together, people, mostly guys, would say "nice Harleys."
Most of the time we allowed them their innocent ignorance, not caring to crush their manly knowledge in front of the little woman...the little woman often having bleached hair which didn't make her a blonde...either.

Every once in a while though, buddy would point to his, with a little shake of the head and say "Japanese bike" at which point I would point to mine and say "Mexican bike."
End of dialogue.

A friend in Sayward owns a trawler and though he no longer fishes with it, it's still a trawler. Probably always will be unless someone turns it into a "converted fish boat."

Then, it will no more be a trawler than Marin's toy boat.

Sailor of Fortune works on a tug; a big tug and when he's off, he recreates, or tries to, on his boat.

I remember the first "cabin cruiser" that our neighbours in Powell River built; a 16 footer with a huge 18HP Johnson outboard and a "flying bridge." From that moment on, the marine dictionary would be endlessly bastardized.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Lowered Pilothouse?
Attached Images

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #152
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post

That looks so similar to a cool boat dad had when I was a toddler. He didn't begin up-sizing till I was about 5 or 6.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #153
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
When someone learns that I have a boat they often ask "What kind of boat do you have?". I tell them it's a trawler and they understand. Isn't that what language is about? Communicating?
The people you have been speaking to are the extreme exception, I think. In conversations (in English) all over the world with people who know something or a lot about boats and people who know nothing about boats, when I have used the word "trawler" I have gotten one of only two responses.

1. What's that?
2. You mean a fishing boat, right?

That's it. Nobody has had even an inkling that the word "trawler" is connected with a recreational boat.

So I stopped using that term to describe our boat or boats like it. Primarily because it's flat out inaccurate but also because nobody knows what kind of boat I'm actually talking about.

Interestingly enough, when I use the term "cabin cruiser," everyone seems to know the kind of boat I'm talking about even if they know nothing about boats and regardless of which country I'm in. So much for the notion that using "old fashioned" words isn't communicating.

In my experience, using the word "trawler" to mean a toy boat is anything but communicating outside of the very tiny group of people like those on this forum who use the term to mean a toy boat of some kind.

I think Northern Spy has the correct approach with regards to what to call his boat.

As for me and my wife, whenever anyone asks us what kind of boat we have we don't use words at all anymore. We simply pull out our phones and punch up the following photo. It provides an instant, crystal clear answer to anyone who asks the question regardless of location, nationality, language or maritime knowledge.

This is communicating in the real world.
Attached Thumbnails
La Perouse.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #154

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Like Marin, I pull out the phone and show people a picture. Unlike Marin, I tell them it's a recreational trawler. If they are still curious I do like Art and tell them the particulars till their eyes gloss over. Since my mother described my last trawler as "Two bedroom, two bath" I've decided that works just fine for most non-boaters.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #155
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
If someone asks me what type of boat I have, I can't see any good reason to be evasive or provide a smart ass answer. I tell them I have a trawler. That gives them a mental picture of the boat.

If you think I am wrong calling it a trawler, that's fine, you go ahead and think what you want. It won't change my mind. To the general public, if it looks like a trawler, it's a trawler.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #156
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
At the end of day most folks do not care what type of a boat we own, they just want a ride.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #157
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
... At this point heavy cruiser is no doubt less comunicative than trawler. ...
"Heavy cruiser" to me means the likes of the USS Pensacola, USS Astoria, USS Quincy, USS Chicago, etc.

"Light cruiser" reminds me of the USS Hobart, USS Santa Fe, USS Birmingham, USS Mobile, etc.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #158
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
If someone asks me what type of boat I have, I can't see any good reason to be evasive or provide a smart ass answer. I tell them I have a trawler. That gives them a mental picture of the boat.

If you think I am wrong calling it a trawler, that's fine, you go ahead and think what you want. It won't change my mind. To the general public, if it looks like a trawler, it's a trawler.
Not being a smart ass at all. I just prefer to converse from more specific to less specific, so I start start with specifics, instead of generalities.

If you asked my what kind of car my wife dives, I'd say an 2012 Acura MDX. I drive a 1988 Toyota LandCruiser HJ-61 or a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ-40.

I could tell you we both drive SUVs, but that is a generalization.

If you know what they are, they are worlds apart in purpose and capabilities, but somehow they are all SUVs. Her MDX is relatively quick and luxurious, the HJ is more suited for expedition duty, and the 40 is akin to an agricultural implement.

It would seem that word trawler is even more ambiguous.

Like Marin, I'll usually show a picture as well. The most frequent comment is... "Oh, it's blue!"
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #159
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygag View Post
Like Marin, I pull out the phone and show people a picture. Unlike Marin, I tell them it's a recreational trawler. If they are still curious I do like Art and tell them the particulars till their eyes gloss over. Since my mother described my last trawler as "Two bedroom, two bath" I've decided that works just fine for most non-boaters.
With no drive way and unlimited self hydrating yard-space 360 degrees around... LOL
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #160
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I despise looking at phone pics. It usually ends up having to look at endless "grand kid" pics, after having been forced to look at the boat/car/bike/dog/horse/etc. pics. If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT". Thats the main reason you dont, and wont, read about how much crap I have in my sig line.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote