Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #101
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin;
Having trained Pavlov's dog to salivate at the ring of a bell, they have to keep ringing the bell to get the dog to keep salivating. Or buying in this case.

You really can get most people to buy into any concept you want them to buy into....it really is amazingly easy to lead people around by the nose in any direction you want. The human mind is a wonderful thing to jerk around.
Naw, really?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #102
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam;
When we all know that 'Puget Sound' is the area south of the Narrows at the south end of Colvos Passage...
Are you sure?
This past summer, a couple from Tacoma told me they had been "all the way up to Campbell River at the north end of Puget Sound."
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #103
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Wrong. All it means is that a small group of people have been being ignorant for several decades. If you decide to call a cat a dog for twenty years is that going to make cats dogs from then on in the eyes of the world? Of course not. It's a stupid, simplistic position to take, sorry.
Marin, your argument does not hold water. We now have a previously known man(Bruce Jenner) that everyone is now calling a woman. And Time magazine named "him" "Woman of the Year". Which, by the way, just proves that men are better at everything than women....even being a woman!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #104
Scraping Paint

City: -
John--- You prove my point very well, thank you. Cat, dog, and human are things that do not change meaning over time. Male and female are merely a means of distinguishing one human from another. Trawlers are the same way. As I wrote earlier, there are otter trawlers, beam trawlers, side trawlers, etc. Change the gear and you change the type of trawler it is, but it's still a trawler. Bruce Jenner simply changed his gear. He's still a human.

BTW another great example of how you can change people's perceptions any way you want is the tanner crab. Not a very romantic or appealing name, but the crab had a potentially large market with consumers. So some very clever person--- I have no idea who it was-- coined the name "snow crab" and applied it to the tanner crab.

In the same manner as the term "trawler" it was wildly successful in fooling the market--- the general public--- into thinking they were ordering or buying an exotic seafood. When in fact, it is still just the lowly tanner crab. Just as the "trawlers" that populate this forum are, despite the "exotic" name, still just lowly playtoys.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #105
Veteran Member

City: Hobsonville, Auckland
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
When I joined the forum I assumed the usage of "trawler" was simply another example of the "American Evolution" of the English language.
In other words like "hood" and "trunk" instead of "bonnet" and "boot" for the car (auto?) parts and many other similar variations.
Although there is a lot of "advice" dispensed here it seems to be spelt the same as the verb "to advise". We get spell corrected for many words (US English) that are correct in our dictionary (English English)! A recreational trawler has always been a launch or maybe just motorboat (not "engineboat"!) here in NZ and I believe in Australia and the UK?
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #106
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
..............at least, like the word trawler, I can derive great satisfaction from laughing at the people who don't know enough to use the right words..............
You will be laughing alone.

Words change over time whether we like it or not. In years past, "gay" meant fun loving and jolly. Do you understand what it means today?

How about the word "green"? In my day it was a color. There were green crayons in the box. Now, it means something on the order of "environmentally friendly" or non polluting.

There are dozens, perhaps hundreds more.

And if you go back and red things written a couple hundred years ago, they can be very difficult to understand because of the changes in meanings and spellings of words.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #107
Guru

Quote:
................ Male and female are merely a means of distinguishing one human from another. .........
Not any more.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #108
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Those arms and shoulders are much more Calvin than Caitlyn.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #109
Guru

Re post 101.

Marin if it's so easy to lead people around how ya do'in w that TF group?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #110
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Eric,
If I recall correctly, I met your father in Angoon and he owned a lobster trawler.
Ken
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #111
Guru

Or -
Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #112
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Language is a fluid, evolving, ever-changing tool of communication. Word meanings come and go like the ebb and flood of a tide. Those stuck in yesterday's vernacular are trapped in the past. I see no sense in hanging there with them.

Anyone who has had children knows that while we do teach them, we also learn from them. I've learned much from my two daughters who are wise beyond their years, in part because of their perceptive ways, open minds and mental flexibility. I find it refreshing to surround myself with young adults who bring a fresh perspective to this old world of ours.

Read this account of Faragut's victory over Buchanan at Mobile Bay.

Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #113
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
In modern vernacular, one would say "damn the mines ..."
Old 01-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Eric,
If I recall correctly, I met your father in Angoon and he owned a lobster trawler.
Ken
Old deck,
Look at post #25 anchor rode thread. His boat. It was the "Free at Last" w a FB when he had her in Angoon. Last I saw of the boat was in Craig about 4 years ago when I took that pic. Got a real nice refit and was a beautiful boat then. Could'a bought her for $75000 but a fisherman did and she'll get much more use that way than mostly sitt'in in a marina w me pay'in the moorage. Would'nt need covered though.

WesK,
You have no fear. Good thing at times we don't all live on the same block.

Hawg,
The Starbucks thing went right over my head.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #115
Guru

[QUOTE=Marin;401591]John--- You prove my point very well, thank you. Cat, dog, and human are things that do not change meaning over time. Male and female are merely a means of distinguishing one human from another. Trawlers are the same way. As I wrote earlier, there are otter trawlers, beam trawlers, side trawlers, etc. Change the gear and you change the type of trawler it is, but it's still a trawler. Bruce. end quote

You forgot the, call it a Trawler, and sell a boat variety. That along with an exchange of coin(much gold) and some hazy idolization of bounding over the seas in a Trawler will always trump logic with the average human mentality. Marin You are probably right but no way will you win or change thinking amongst the general population.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #116
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #117
Guru

That the T word is being applied to so many boats does not bother me so much as it has no significant meaning in regards to the craft it is applied to. One boating magazine writer acknowledging this tried to define the term and came up with something like its a boat you would like to spend some time on. Basically he was saying it is ok to label any boat a trawler. So by his definition I have a 16 foot dinghy trawler. Unless somebody can define just what a recreational trawler is what use is the term? Trawler as used for recreational boats is in need of a definition . language evolution is only of value if there is a meaning associated with the new use. The word is presently nonsense as applied to many boats.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #118
Guru

Maybe the Trawler Forum should take the bull by the horns and come up with a definition of a recreational trawler. I don't know of any other party better qualified to deal with the evolution of this word. Even if the definition turns out to be its a foggy word used to sell boats it would be better than nothing. The Trawler Form could make some waves in the marine world if it publicly defined the term and supported the meaning given to it. I know let a sleeping dog be. But he is peeing all over the floor.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #119
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Ive said on a few occasions, if you really have a trawler you dont need to ask,"is this a trawler". But not everyone knows they dont have a trawler. Case in point. I was looking at a marina in oklahoma, in Okmulgee IIRC, at the end of the canal system. The dock master told me he lived on a trawler in the marina. I was looking for a slip for my Krogen trawler and was interested in other trawler owners. Well,,, his "trawler" was an aft cabin motor yacht with a pair of 375 hp 3208s. He just went slow. So it was his trawler.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #120
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I dunno. TF's usage of the term seemed perfect for getting us all here, and I'm thankful for that. Who cares if it's liberal, permissive, or even politically correct. The term worked, here we are, I like trawlers, maybe you've got one, maybe I don't, visa-versa, who cares, it worked and there's a great community. If you don't like trawlers, (whatever that means to you), you're probably not here.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote