Recreational Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep,,, head rattle.

Y o u.... c a n.... g e t.... h e l p... f o r.... t h a t.

And now I'm not going to bother with you any more as I expect the moderators and everyone else are getting as bored with this as I am.

Greetings,
OR...We could re-name to LRC forum which would equally "disqualify" most BUT then I'd lose most of my warped humor targets....

mog2.gif

My vote is keep it Trawler Forum. Who the heck REALLY cares? We all talk about boats in whatever shape, form, function, name or designation (as arbitrary as THAT may be).

RT - Please do not ever loose your "warped" sense of humor. I very much enjoy it!

Sorry for the thread drift, but looks like I am far from the only one here doing that...

John

Those of us who prefer to use a language accurately know better. This does not mean we don't believe a language should or does evolve. Of course it does. But this evolution is based on what makes sense. When a name has a very specific meaning and is applied to a very specific thing---- dog, cat, apple, bottle, trawler, ship---- this name does not change over time.
Can I assume then that you stop referring to your boat with any term than includes cruiser. As I have pointed out to you before, the term cruiser dating back to the 17th century refers to a warship. To refer to your boat in any way including the term cruiser is as absurd as us referring to ours as trawlers. The term "cruiser" predates "trawler" by centuries.

Ted

Must clarify. I do go back and read them when I have time. you are always Always interesting and I hope tolerant of me. I do love the debate and must admit that sometimes i egg it on a bit. Winter. Its cold here. Etc.

Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names. The only thing that will be lost by removing the T word from the form Monika is the erroneous use of a meaningless word. I do not think the present population of forum users will desert if the name were motor cruising boats or some other more accurate Monika. That people become attached to a pie in the sky concept is understandable since it is so human. Are we not a race that values the occult and faith based explanations above reality?

As I have pointed out to you before, the term cruiser dating back to the 17th century refers to a warship. To refer to your boat in any way including the term cruiser is as absurd as us referring to ours as trawlers. The term "cruiser" predates "trawler" by centuries.

Wrong (again). To quote Merriam-Webster (again)

----------------------------
Cruiser, noun-
:a large and fast military ship
:a boat that has room to live on and is used for pleasure

Full Definition-

1. A vehicle that cruises as:
a: squad car
b: a powerboat with facilities (as a cabin and plumbing) necessary for living aboard- called also a cabin cruiser
2: a large, fast moderately armored and gunned warship.
3: a person who cruises
-------------------------------

This forum is becoming increasingly like grade school. When you all learn to look words up properly to find out what they actually mean, get back to me.:)

Last edited:
Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the focus of the cruising forum is not about the boat but more the life style or activity. They certainly discuss boats but it's unlike here where it's about boats for whatever leisure use you want.

Ted

Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names. The only thing that will be lost by removing the T word from the form Monika is the erroneous use of a meaningless word. I do not think the present population of forum users will desert if the name were motor cruising boats or some other more accurate Monika. That people become attached to a pie in the sky concept is understandable since it is so human. Are we not a race that values the occult and faith based explanations above reality?

I don't normally quote an entire post in a reply but I did here because I think it bears re-reading.

Here in Southern California we owe a debt to the late Art DeFever who after making a number of successful offshore fishing boats designed many successful pleasure boats based on his fishing boat designs. These were called trawlers due to their direct commercial fishing heritage. It doesn’t really matter if people used them for fishing or not. The designs were similar… seaworthy, displacement hulls, good range, capable of large loads etc.

I personally classify three (or four) types of pleasure boats in southern Calif.:
1-Motor yachts; any pleasure boat over about 70 ft.
2- sport fishermen; planning hull, used primarily for sport fishing and festooned with poles, rod holders, bait tanks etc.
3= Trawlers; displacement or semi-displacement hull, Defevers and Grand Banks typify the type. Generally used for cruising with occasional fishing.
(4) all others.

3= Trawlers; displacement or semi-displacement hull, Defevers and Grand Banks typify the type. Generally used for cruising with occasional fishing.

That's fine but know that American Marine themselves were smart enough not to call their recreational cruising boats "trawlers." They called them.....

Attachments

• 1974 GB 36.jpg
    1974 GB 36.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 374
This forum is becoming increasingly like grade school. When you all learn to look words up properly to find out what they actually mean, get back to me.:)
I absolutely agree with you, as you prefer to argue like an adolescent who fails to see the obvious evolution of the term, trawler. Hope for your sanity that Merriam-Webster never changes the definition. I sure you would be suicidal.

For the record, most view Merriam-Webster as irrelevant as rotary dial telephones, antiquated in the current century.

Ted

For the record, most view Merriam-Webster as irrelevant as rotary dial telephones, antiquated in the current century.

Ted

Don't know what world you live in. Here in the professional writing world it's considered pretty relevant along with other dictionaries. But then writing is not something public forums are particularly noted for. Your notion of language evolution needs a wee bit of reality tweaking, I think. But, hey, who cares? "Ignorance is bliss" is not a global cliche for no reason, right?:):):)

Even if the credible definition did change I still wouldn't use it because I don't like using a term that was derived from ignorance. It's like the current, politically correct, feel-good term "reach out" that everyone uses now. As in "I'll reach out to him for the information." What bullsh!t.

I reach out for an apple, I reach out to put something on the table, I reach out to keep the ladder from falling over. If I want information from someone I'll contact them, call them, e-mail them, text them, yell at them, phone them, talk to them, go see them, etc. I'm not going to "reach out" to them. That's kumbaya-speak and it's one of the most insincere, phony expressions I've ever heard.

I know I can't stop its use but at least, like the word trawler, I can derive great satisfaction from laughing at the people who don't know enough to use the right words.

To me, communication skills are a major indicator of a person's (or a dog's) intelligence which in turn affects the degree of respect I feel they have earned and deserve.

Last edited:
Don't know what world you live in. Here in the professional writing world it's considered pretty relevant. But then writing is not something public forums are particularly noted for. Your notion of language evolution needs a wee bit of reality tweaking, I think. But, hey, who cares? "Ignorance is bliss" is not a global cliche for no reason.:):):)
As a percentage of the whole population, do more than 2 or 3% use it?

BTW, in case you didn't realize it, this isn't the "professional writing world". We're not restricted by their word definitions. Maybe you should waste your time on one of their forums where more than one or two would agree with you.

BTW, I don't think of you as being ignorant, just out of touch.

Ted

Can we please stick with boating and leave the grammar lessons for somewhere else.

"Professional writting world"?
I can't even spell.

You're the odd man here Marin. When in Rome ........

Hey Keith, bet you never saw this coming. Tim

Saloon...

giphy.gif
Couldn't agree more RTF!
Is there a country in the English speaking world outside North America that has replaced the name of a boats living area from the original "Saloon" to the term "Salon"? Certainly your explanation re the old west makes sense.
In modern syntax the usage of Salon (hair, beauty, manicure etc) seems the very antithesis of a "trawler's" saloon. The same applies to the archaic use!
I suspect that there term salon will insidiously find it's way into UK, Australia and NZ due to the US prevailing presence on the web
The US having the best boating forum(s) also will be influential.
We already find a few launches described as "trawlers" with "salons" in our "for sale" ads.

Refugio

That's fine but know that American Marine themselves were smart enough not to call their recreational cruising boats "trawlers." They called them.....
The company, the boats, the owners, indeed the entire world except one person, has evolved over the past 40 years:

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451970977.286136.jpg

Keith

OK.... I'll jump in once more...

You're [we're] all crazy to even be continuing this incessantly stupid debate regarding each other's feelings about the word "Trawler". Yup... crazy, but fairly funny!

Carry On!

Over and Out!!!!

Really?
The entire world?

Marketing folks are not stupid. Of course the current Grand Banks company uses the word 'trawler." If you want to sell boats to literary ignoramuses you have to speak on their level. GB, and all the others, would be fools to call their boats anything BUT trawlers. Having trained Pavlov's dog to salivate at the ring of a bell, they have to keep ringing the bell to get the dog to keep salivating. Or buying in this case.

Anyway, it's been very entertaining reading the lengths people will go to to defend the fact that they've totally fallen for a marketing ploy and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It's been a great illustration of the powers of persuasion and perception, regardless of whether the persuasion and perception are based on reality or not.

Careers numbers one and two for me have both been in marketing, first in network television and then in aerospace. This discussion, as juvenile as it's been, has been a terrific verification of all the basic principles practiced by every ad agency and marketing group on the planet. You really can get most people to buy into any concept you want them to buy into. Be it a brand of pizza, tires, cars, or the use of a word, it really is amazingly easy to lead people around by the nose in any direction you want.

The fact so many of you are absolutely, 100-percent convinced that your boats are "trawlers" is the definitive proof that humans can be convinced of anything, no matter how far-fetched it might be, if you use the right techniques.

We are currently working on a campaign to change our customers' perception of a particular aspect of one of our products. I've been using the whole "trawler" thing and the vehement defense of the term on this forum as an example to our creative team of how effectively an initial perception can be molded into a completely different perception that is so firmly clung to by its target audience that they will defend it to the hilt even though the concept it's based on is faulty.

The human mind is a wonderful thing to jerk around.:):):)

Last edited:
Good news everyone - the world has evolved and many (most) of us do indeed have "recreational trawlers":

Trawler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trawler may refer to:

Boats[edit]
  • Fishing trawler, used for commercial fishing
  • Naval trawler, a converted trawler, or a boat built in that style, used for naval purposes
  • Recreational trawler, a pleasure boat built "trawler-style"

Interestingly, that disambiguation page was last updated more than a year ago. Just think of all the keystrokes that could have been saved if this knowledge had been widely available. :flowers:

Ahem....'scuse me...but I believe I have raised this exact definition previously, several times in fact, this being the latest....
I quote, from post 173, P9 of the "Where have all the smaller trawlers gone?", where I said...
"This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period." :D

Marin, I feel your pain. I write about 100 cost proposals each year and work closely with the team writing the technical and management volumes. Words have meaning and using them correctly is important. And I need to watch my step because a few of of the writers are English and Lit majors or, as I call them, Word Nazis. But, they are almost always correct and I appreciate the education.

Conversely, when the company owner is faced with something he doesn't like in a contract or a RFP he'll say, "I know what it says, but that's not what it means." That drives me nuts.

OTOH, does it really matter in a free wheeling, on-line forum? :D

This thread has been a lot of fun. As we approach 100 posts, maybe we could consider some thread drift. As a large number of posters are from the PNW (or PSW, if you're north of the border), maybe we could consider what name we give to the waters we boat in. Common usage is 'Puget Sound'. When we all know that 'Puget Sound' is the area south of the Narrows at the south end of Colvos Passage, why do so many insist on calling every body of water south of the Canadian border 'Puget Sound'?
Discuss, or ignore, your choice. I gave up trying to correct people a long time ago!
Full confession, I do read the complete text of Marin's posts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom