Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #161
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Not being a smart ass at all. I just prefer to converse from more specific to less specific, so I start start with specifics, instead of generalities.

If you asked my what kind of car my wife dives, I'd say an 2012 Acura MDX. I drive a 1988 Toyota LandCruiser HJ-61 or a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ-40.

I could tell you we both drive SUVs, but that is a generalization.

If you know what they are, they are worlds apart in purpose and capabilities, but somehow they are all SUVs. Her MDX is relatively quick and luxurious, the HJ is more suited for expedition duty, and the 40 is akin to an agricultural implement.

It would seem that word trawler is even more ambiguous.

Like Marin, I'll usually show a picture as well. The most frequent comment is... "Oh, it's blue!"
Most frequent comments I get when showing picture(s): Wow, that looks expensive! Little do they know just how affordable this wonderful "Pleasure-Trip" of boating really all is... if you really know how to handle things - correctly!!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #162
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT".
Sounds like somebody needs a newer and bigger cellphone!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #163
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I wont even make a person look at pics on my tablet. But, I also wont sit next to another person while texting some one else. That, to me, is beyond rude. But I'm kinda old school. Even if I'm as happy as a 2 peckered billy goat about my boat I'm still not gonna show phone pictures of it to people that mostly dont know or care. To me its just to much "bragging".
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #164
Art
Guru

Quote:
I wont even make a person look at pics on my tablet. But, I also wont sit next to another person while texting some one else. That, to me, is beyond rude. But I'm kinda old school. Even if I'm as happy as a 2 peckered billy goat about my boat I'm still not gonna show phone pictures of it to people that mostly dont know or care. To me its just to much "bragging".
Yo, Klaus - Picts of your boat(s)? OK to show em on TF... no bragging is required but it is permissible if desired.

I kinda brag a little that I realllllly like our finely built classic Tollycraft and super fun tow-behind Crestliner runabout.

What's U got to show??? Come on... throw us a bone; err boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	47968   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	47969   Click image for larger version

Name:	WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	47970  
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #165
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I despise looking at phone pics.... If someone asks to see a pic I will show them one but I will not just whip out my tiny little cell phone and make them squint at a picture of "MY BOAT".
Now THAT's a great example of Flywright's earlier point about current and old fashioned communications.

It's an increasingly visual world. In the course of a creative meeting the other day one of my co-workers told us how his daughter and her friends communicate with their phones today. They often don't even enter words into their messages but instead snap selfies with the facial expression they feel conveys what they want to express. He says it's downright bizzarre to watch his daughter hold one of these conversations which can go on for quite awhile. He says he had no idea the human face could convey so many meanings.

So it seems that humans are finally achieving the same sophistication of communications as animals, which of course have been using expressions and body language to communicate without words forever.

As to "tiny little phone," that, too, is an indication of old fashioned communications. Some of the phones today are getting ridiculously large. But the real point is that phones have become the standard means of communicating on the planet both with words and pictures on the screen. We recently had a very complex repair and replacement project carried out on our PNW cabin cruiser. The yard foreman in charge of the project sent me text message photos to illustrate things they'd found and the results of their work.

The crew that recently put an entire new roof on our house--- sheathing, shingles, gutters, etc.--- did the same thing. If they wanted to show us something they'd found or were doing they snapped a phone photo and climbed down and showed it to us.

Last year in Taipei we filmed the process of removing the landing gear from a 777-300ER and replacing it with brand new gear. The MRO doing the work, one of the best shops in the world, took iPhone photos detailing everything they were doing and these became the official record of the project. No write-ups, just files of phone photos.

Small is the new large.

My new pickup has two screens, one in front of the driver and one in the center of the console. Both of them have dozens of different displays that can be punched up. The text on the screens is no larger than the text message font on my company Blackberry. If the letters are 1/8" high I'd be surprised; they're probably smaller. But thanks to a world where smartphones, tablets, Kindles and iPads have become the communications standard, I find the "tiny" text on the screens in the truck to be perfectly normal.

More and more today when I am describing something to friends, particularly the 20 and 30 somethings although 50 and 60 somethings seem to be no different, the first thing I'm asked is "Got a picture of it on your phone?"
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #166
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I rarely need to search for words to describe my boat. I tell them it's a Krogen Manatee, and it's perfectly named. Picture a fat ole rolly-polly lady wallowing upon the water, that's it.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #167
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Often say mine is a slow, 35-foot motor boat, which can't exceed eight (statute) miles an hour.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #168
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The people you have been speaking to are the extreme exception, ...........
BS. They are normal people. Someone in the doctor's office, dentist office, just regular people off the street.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #169
Scraping Paint

City: -
Well, doctors and dentists would certainly know what a "trawler" is as they are smack dab in the middle of the target market the bogus term was hatched up for by the marketing folks in the first place.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #170
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Often say mine is a slow, 35-foot motor boat, which can't exceed eight (statute) miles an hour.
Can it make a wake?

The nice thing about slow and steady is it's easier to stay out of trouble.

I'm moving slower and unsteadier all the time.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #171
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Can it make a wake? ...
Barely.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #172
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
At least you won't be the guy being chased for waking other boats...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #173
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I have a story. The other cofounder of this site had a Fales "Trawler". A Willard knock off. We were going by the Kemah boardwalk and an 8 year old kid says, "Did y'all catch any shrimp?". So an 8 year old kid that has no clue about boats THINKS it's a trawler based on design alone. Pretty close to being a trawler in my book...even without the nets...

That boat is now owned by a current TF member.
John,

That's a good one, and actually mirrors the reactions I have had from strangers of all types from experienced boaters to vacationers walking the docks in the marina. I hear "Trawler" or "Fishing Boat" frequently. Some see the mast and get really confused. Mostly I hear "What is it?".

My step father, a prominent architect and engineer, refers to it as a "Ship" for some reason. His only experience on the water was a Liberty ship in WWII.

When asked, I normally just call it "My Little Boat" or a "Small Pilothouse Trawler" because calling it a "Fales 30" just draws blank looks. I even tried calling it a "Willard Clone", and, of course they didn't know what a Willard was either.

It really stands out among the typical modern family cruisers (Sea Ray's) that are popular in this area. Every comment I have ever received was complimentary, it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #174
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
John,

That's a good one, and actually mirrors the reactions I have had from strangers of all types from experienced boaters to vacationers walking the docks in the marina. I hear "Trawler" or "Fishing Boat" frequently. Some see the mast and get really confused. Mostly I hear "What is it?".

My step father, a prominent architect and engineer, refers to it as a "Ship" for some reason. His only experience on the water was a Liberty ship in WWII.

When asked, I normally just call it "My Little Boat" or a "Small Pilothouse Trawler" because calling it a "Fales 30" just draws blank looks. I even tried calling it a "Willard Clone", and, of course they didn't know what a Willard was either.

It really stands out among the typical modern family cruisers (Sea Ray's) that are popular in this area. Every comment I have ever received was complimentary, it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included!
How Bout: Heck of a nice boat!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #175
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
it's just that no one really knows what the heck to call it, myself included!
I guess I could call mine a "Wallet". It's where my money goes.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #176

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Murry, what happened, why are your posts deleted?
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #177
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
A former armed forces veteran informed me that as my vessel was built
for the army as a "compact coastal combat vessel" she should never be
demeaned by any designation lower than a "Ship".
I will now and let the flack fly.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #178
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
A former armed forces veteran informed me...
Here's picky in the extreme...he will always be a Veteran.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #179
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
A former armed forces veteran informed me that as my vessel was built
for the army as a "compact coastal combat vessel" she should never be
demeaned by any designation lower than a "Ship".
I will now and let the flack fly.

Ted
Ted, she is a ship, and a mighty fine ship!

And I will always say that while you have that howitzer mounted on your foredeck.....
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #180
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Hawgwash : Thanks, I didn't word that well did I?

Conrad: Thanks, But I think Mark has the armament now. I haven't been given
access to Charlton Hessten's gun room yet.

Ted

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote