Veteran Member

City: Morrinsville
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Saloon...

Couldn't agree more RTF!
Is there a country in the English speaking world outside North America that has replaced the name of a boats living area from the original "Saloon" to the term "Salon"? Certainly your explanation re the old west makes sense.
In modern syntax the usage of Salon (hair, beauty, manicure etc) seems the very antithesis of a "trawler's" saloon. The same applies to the archaic use!
I suspect that there term salon will insidiously find it's way into UK, Australia and NZ due to the US prevailing presence on the web
The US having the best boating forum(s) also will be influential.
We already find a few launches described as "trawlers" with "salons" in our "for sale" ads.

Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #82

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Refugio

porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #83
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's fine but know that American Marine themselves were smart enough not to call their recreational cruising boats "trawlers." They called them.....
The company, the boats, the owners, indeed the entire world except one person, has evolved over the past 40 years:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451970977.286136.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	47919

Keith
Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #84

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
The company, the boats, the owners, indeed the entire world except one person, has evolved over the past 40 years:

Attachment 47919

Keith
Lol.....best post of the decade!
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #85
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OK.... I'll jump in once more...

You're [we're] all crazy to even be continuing this incessantly stupid debate regarding each other's feelings about the word "Trawler". Yup... crazy, but fairly funny!

Carry On!

Over and Out!!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #86
Veteran Member

City: Morrinsville
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
Really?
The entire world?
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: -
Marketing folks are not stupid. Of course the current Grand Banks company uses the word 'trawler." If you want to sell boats to literary ignoramuses you have to speak on their level. GB, and all the others, would be fools to call their boats anything BUT trawlers. Having trained Pavlov's dog to salivate at the ring of a bell, they have to keep ringing the bell to get the dog to keep salivating. Or buying in this case.

Anyway, it's been very entertaining reading the lengths people will go to to defend the fact that they've totally fallen for a marketing ploy and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It's been a great illustration of the powers of persuasion and perception, regardless of whether the persuasion and perception are based on reality or not.

Careers numbers one and two for me have both been in marketing, first in network television and then in aerospace. This discussion, as juvenile as it's been, has been a terrific verification of all the basic principles practiced by every ad agency and marketing group on the planet. You really can get most people to buy into any concept you want them to buy into. Be it a brand of pizza, tires, cars, or the use of a word, it really is amazingly easy to lead people around by the nose in any direction you want.

The fact so many of you are absolutely, 100-percent convinced that your boats are "trawlers" is the definitive proof that humans can be convinced of anything, no matter how far-fetched it might be, if you use the right techniques.

We are currently working on a campaign to change our customers' perception of a particular aspect of one of our products. I've been using the whole "trawler" thing and the vehement defense of the term on this forum as an example to our creative team of how effectively an initial perception can be molded into a completely different perception that is so firmly clung to by its target audience that they will defend it to the hilt even though the concept it's based on is faulty.

The human mind is a wonderful thing to jerk around.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Good news everyone - the world has evolved and many (most) of us do indeed have "recreational trawlers":
Trawler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trawler may refer to:

Boats[edit]
  • Fishing trawler, used for commercial fishing
  • Naval trawler, a converted trawler, or a boat built in that style, used for naval purposes
  • Recreational trawler, a pleasure boat built "trawler-style"
Interestingly, that disambiguation page was last updated more than a year ago. Just think of all the keystrokes that could have been saved if this knowledge had been widely available.
Ahem....'scuse me...but I believe I have raised this exact definition previously, several times in fact, this being the latest....
I quote, from post 173, P9 of the "Where have all the smaller trawlers gone?", where I said...
"This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period."
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #89
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Marin, I feel your pain. I write about 100 cost proposals each year and work closely with the team writing the technical and management volumes. Words have meaning and using them correctly is important. And I need to watch my step because a few of of the writers are English and Lit majors or, as I call them, Word Nazis. But, they are almost always correct and I appreciate the education.

Conversely, when the company owner is faced with something he doesn't like in a contract or a RFP he'll say, "I know what it says, but that's not what it means." That drives me nuts.

OTOH, does it really matter in a free wheeling, on-line forum?
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #90

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
This thread has been a lot of fun. As we approach 100 posts, maybe we could consider some thread drift. As a large number of posters are from the PNW (or PSW, if you're north of the border), maybe we could consider what name we give to the waters we boat in. Common usage is 'Puget Sound'. When we all know that 'Puget Sound' is the area south of the Narrows at the south end of Colvos Passage, why do so many insist on calling every body of water south of the Canadian border 'Puget Sound'?
Discuss, or ignore, your choice. I gave up trying to correct people a long time ago!
Full confession, I do read the complete text of Marin's posts.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
As a large number of posters are from the PNW (or PSW, if you're north of the border), maybe we could consider what name we give to the waters we boat in. Common usage is 'Puget Sound'. When we all know that 'Puget Sound' is the area south of the Narrows at the south end of Colvos Passage, why do so many insist on calling every body of water south of the Canadian border 'Puget Sound'?
I'm comfortable with Salish Sea, and I'm seeing that pop up in stories from (for instance) the Seattle Times. It's nice to have a term that includes the "Canadian San Juans"
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #92
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Marketing folks are not stupid. Of course the current Grand Banks company uses the word 'trawler." If you want to sell boats to literary ignoramuses you have to speak on their level. GB, and all the others, would be fools to call their boats anything BUT trawlers. Having trained Pavlov's dog to salivate at the ring of a bell, they have to keep ringing the bell to get the dog to keep salivating. Or buying in this case.

Anyway, it's been very entertaining reading the lengths people will go to to defend the fact that they've totally fallen for a marketing ploy and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It's been a great illustration of the powers of persuasion and perception, regardless of whether the persuasion and perception are based on reality or not.

Careers numbers one and two for me have both been in marketing, first in network television and then in aerospace. This discussion, as juvenile as it's been, has been a terrific verification of all the basic principles practiced by every ad agency and marketing group on the planet. You really can get most people to buy into any concept you want them to buy into. Be it a brand of pizza, tires, cars, or the use of a word, it really is amazingly easy to lead people around by the nose in any direction you want.

The fact so many of you are absolutely, 100-percent convinced that your boats are "trawlers" is the definitive proof that humans can be convinced of anything, no matter how far-fetched it might be, if you use the right techniques.

We are currently working on a campaign to change our customers' perception of a particular aspect of one of our products. I've been using the whole "trawler" thing and the vehement defense of the term on this forum as an example to our creative team of how effectively an initial perception can be molded into a completely different perception that is so firmly clung to by its target audience that they will defend it to the hilt even though the concept it's based on is faulty.

The human mind is a wonderful thing to jerk around.
This brings me back to religion(s) and Federal Reserve "marketing/sales/ploys/hype".

Appears obvious Marin that you would have been a very good "marketer/sales/ploy/hype person" in some form of high dollar religious or financial BS institution. Can't help but to wonder... Did you miss your Really BIG $$$$-making calling?? Read last paragraph in your post above.

The king has no cloths.

See bolded items in your post above. Pay close attention to underlined and italicized words. IMHO - Only Jerks - get great joy for the capability/opportunity to "jerk-around" easily led humans. Altruism (i.e. a truthful, giving-nature) is not part of the pervasive "jerk around" equation so broadly flaunted by so many, Marin - Self Expanding Greed IS!

But, hey... what the heck, why not... strictly in the name of money... Feeling good to jerk around (i.e. falsely provide marketing/sales hype/ploys to) people's susceptible, truth seeking minds for attaining ever more money, power, and all attainable forms of career-advancement/self-perpetuating glory is perfectly OK... and a damn good thing for making untold numbers of dollar$$$$! - Right Marin?

Applicable word and its true meaning:

ROTTEN [rot-n]

adjective: rottener, rottenest.
1. decomposing or decaying; putrid, tainted, foul
2. corrupt or morally offensive.
3. wretchedly bad, unpleasant, or unsatisfactory; miserable:
a rotten piece of work; a rotten ploy.
4. contemptible; despicable:
a rotten little liar; a rotten trick.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #93

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
I will start referring to my water-craft(boat), not officially a T-word, as a Floating slow moving recreational vehicle.
Rebel112r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #94
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

For the record, most view Merriam-Webster as irrelevant as rotary dial telephones, antiquated in the current century.

Ted
So maybe the Urban Dictionary would be better??.....

trawler
A person who is too stingy or poor to pay for drinks in nightclubs so they proceed to drink the dregs of any drinks that are left unattended. They usually end up totally wasted by the end of the night, puking their guts up in the loos, because of all the different drinks they've consumed.
Ann is so poor that when she goes out she's a trawler.

and:

trawler
A girl or woman who belives she still has,or has,feminine charm and good looks but,who is in fact,sadley misstaken.
my god did you see that old trawler?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #95
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Everyone knows the Portobello or Portobella mushroom?

Back 20+ years ago, it was known as a "common brown crimini mushroom. Then a marketer got involved to try to drum up sales for the poor misunderstood common brown crimini mushroom, they invented the "Portobello" name and started hyping it.

It worked and now everyone knows Portobello mushrooms...

What Marin is trying to say is that marketeers have to sell a product and will call it something that they can get you to buy. How do you know a salesman is lying? his lips are moving.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Everyone knows the Portobello or Portobella mushroom?

Back 20+ years ago, it was known as a "common brown crimini mushroom. Then a marketer got involved to try to drum up sales for the poor misunderstood common brown crimini mushroom, they invented the "Portobello" name and started hyping it.

It worked and now everyone knows Portobello mushrooms...
And kiwi fruit (was Chinese gooseberry)

And Chilean sea bass (was Patagonian toothfish)
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #97
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
The TrawlerFest is coming to Riviera Beach at the end of the month...

I wonder how many exhibitors will actually be trawlers?

Very few?

BTW, I heard that Riviera Beach renamed a street for Obama...

Need to move trawlerfest!
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #98
Guru

And you guys all realize Marin is "trolling" you, right? I love the double entendre...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Troll.png
Views:	86
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	47924
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #99
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #100
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
I will start referring to my water-craft(boat), not officially a T-word, as a Floating slow moving recreational vehicle.
Mine can be an RV too, although somewhat faster moving when in RV mode. I sometimes have to explain to campground staff that the boat IS my RV, since I stay on it in campgrounds along the road between Utah and the west coast. One or two have refused to accommodate me - too weird for them, I guess.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote