Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #61
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Yep,,, head rattle.
Y o u.... c a n.... g e t.... h e l p... f o r.... t h a t.

And now I'm not going to bother with you any more as I expect the moderators and everyone else are getting as bored with this as I am.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #62

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
OR...We could re-name to LRC forum which would equally "disqualify" most BUT then I'd lose most of my warped humor targets....

My vote is keep it Trawler Forum. Who the heck REALLY cares? We all talk about boats in whatever shape, form, function, name or designation (as arbitrary as THAT may be).
RT - Please do not ever loose your "warped" sense of humor. I very much enjoy it!

Sorry for the thread drift, but looks like I am far from the only one here doing that...

John

Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Those of us who prefer to use a language accurately know better. This does not mean we don't believe a language should or does evolve. Of course it does. But this evolution is based on what makes sense. When a name has a very specific meaning and is applied to a very specific thing---- dog, cat, apple, bottle, trawler, ship---- this name does not change over time.
Can I assume then that you stop referring to your boat with any term than includes cruiser. As I have pointed out to you before, the term cruiser dating back to the 17th century refers to a warship. To refer to your boat in any way including the term cruiser is as absurd as us referring to ours as trawlers. The term "cruiser" predates "trawler" by centuries.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #64
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
"Trawler" is a state-of-mind. There is no need to change this forum's title.

And no, I don't have one...
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #65
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Must clarify. I do go back and read them when I have time. you are always Always interesting and I hope tolerant of me. I do love the debate and must admit that sometimes i egg it on a bit. Winter. Its cold here. Etc.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #66
Guru

Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names. The only thing that will be lost by removing the T word from the form Monika is the erroneous use of a meaningless word. I do not think the present population of forum users will desert if the name were motor cruising boats or some other more accurate Monika. That people become attached to a pie in the sky concept is understandable since it is so human. Are we not a race that values the occult and faith based explanations above reality?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #67
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
As I have pointed out to you before, the term cruiser dating back to the 17th century refers to a warship. To refer to your boat in any way including the term cruiser is as absurd as us referring to ours as trawlers. The term "cruiser" predates "trawler" by centuries.

Wrong (again). To quote Merriam-Webster (again)

----------------------------
Cruiser, noun-
:a large and fast military ship
:a boat that has room to live on and is used for pleasure

Full Definition-

1. A vehicle that cruises as:
a: squad car
b: a powerboat with facilities (as a cabin and plumbing) necessary for living aboard- called also a cabin cruiser
2: a large, fast moderately armored and gunned warship.
3: a person who cruises
-------------------------------

This forum is becoming increasingly like grade school. When you all learn to look words up properly to find out what they actually mean, get back to me.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Just to throw a little more oil on the fire....
Please don`t. Let it burn itself out.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the focus of the cruising forum is not about the boat but more the life style or activity. They certainly discuss boats but it's unlike here where it's about boats for whatever leisure use you want.

Ted
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #70
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Just to throw a little more oil on the fire. The cruising forum-sailing forum and boat design forum are all well populated and not a single trawler word in the Forum names. The only thing that will be lost by removing the T word from the form Monika is the erroneous use of a meaningless word. I do not think the present population of forum users will desert if the name were motor cruising boats or some other more accurate Monika. That people become attached to a pie in the sky concept is understandable since it is so human. Are we not a race that values the occult and faith based explanations above reality?
I don't normally quote an entire post in a reply but I did here because I think it bears re-reading.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #71
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
Here in Southern California we owe a debt to the late Art DeFever who after making a number of successful offshore fishing boats designed many successful pleasure boats based on his fishing boat designs. These were called trawlers due to their direct commercial fishing heritage. It doesn’t really matter if people used them for fishing or not. The designs were similar… seaworthy, displacement hulls, good range, capable of large loads etc.

I personally classify three (or four) types of pleasure boats in southern Calif.:
1-Motor yachts; any pleasure boat over about 70 ft.
2- sport fishermen; planning hull, used primarily for sport fishing and festooned with poles, rod holders, bait tanks etc.
3= Trawlers; displacement or semi-displacement hull, Defevers and Grand Banks typify the type. Generally used for cruising with occasional fishing.
(4) all others.
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swanson View Post
3= Trawlers; displacement or semi-displacement hull, Defevers and Grand Banks typify the type. Generally used for cruising with occasional fishing.
That's fine but know that American Marine themselves were smart enough not to call their recreational cruising boats "trawlers." They called them.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 GB 36.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	47915  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
This forum is becoming increasingly like grade school. When you all learn to look words up properly to find out what they actually mean, get back to me.
I absolutely agree with you, as you prefer to argue like an adolescent who fails to see the obvious evolution of the term, trawler. Hope for your sanity that Merriam-Webster never changes the definition. I sure you would be suicidal.

For the record, most view Merriam-Webster as irrelevant as rotary dial telephones, antiquated in the current century.

Ted
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #74
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
For the record, most view Merriam-Webster as irrelevant as rotary dial telephones, antiquated in the current century.

Ted

Don't know what world you live in. Here in the professional writing world it's considered pretty relevant along with other dictionaries. But then writing is not something public forums are particularly noted for. Your notion of language evolution needs a wee bit of reality tweaking, I think. But, hey, who cares? "Ignorance is bliss" is not a global cliche for no reason, right?

Even if the credible definition did change I still wouldn't use it because I don't like using a term that was derived from ignorance. It's like the current, politically correct, feel-good term "reach out" that everyone uses now. As in "I'll reach out to him for the information." What bullsh!t.

I reach out for an apple, I reach out to put something on the table, I reach out to keep the ladder from falling over. If I want information from someone I'll contact them, call them, e-mail them, text them, yell at them, phone them, talk to them, go see them, etc. I'm not going to "reach out" to them. That's kumbaya-speak and it's one of the most insincere, phony expressions I've ever heard.

I know I can't stop its use but at least, like the word trawler, I can derive great satisfaction from laughing at the people who don't know enough to use the right words.

To me, communication skills are a major indicator of a person's (or a dog's) intelligence which in turn affects the degree of respect I feel they have earned and deserve.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Don't know what world you live in. Here in the professional writing world it's considered pretty relevant. But then writing is not something public forums are particularly noted for. Your notion of language evolution needs a wee bit of reality tweaking, I think. But, hey, who cares? "Ignorance is bliss" is not a global cliche for no reason.
As a percentage of the whole population, do more than 2 or 3% use it?

BTW, in case you didn't realize it, this isn't the "professional writing world". We're not restricted by their word definitions. Maybe you should waste your time on one of their forums where more than one or two would agree with you.

BTW, I don't think of you as being ignorant, just out of touch.

Ted
Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #76
Guru

Can we please stick with boating and leave the grammar lessons for somewhere else.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #77
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"Professional writting world"?
I can't even spell.

You're the odd man here Marin. When in Rome ........

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #78

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Hey Keith, bet you never saw this coming. Tim
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #79
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Recreational Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Hey Keith, bet you never saw this coming. Tim

Oh, I'm willing to bet he did

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 PM   #80
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
porman,
Who's Keith?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote