Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
IMHO. Proper forum name: Anything BUT a sailboat forum.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Some times my boat is a creeping canal "twaddler", sometimes nearly a speed boat, sometimes a slow displacement-speed cruiser, sometimes a pleasure craft, sometimes a party boat, sometimes a dock queen, sometimes a live aboard, sometimes a recreational inboard day boat, sometimes a yacht, sometimes a swim platform, sometimes a fishing boat... I don't use the word Trawler to describe my boat.

BUT!!! If anyone wants to call their boat or mine a trawler - that's fine with me! I simply just don't.

And, Trawler Forum as this site's name is A-OK. Sure seems to attract and keep as contributors plenty of "Boaters" from around the world and of different marine persuasions. Lots of info gets shared on TF. It's fun and informative.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"IMHO. Proper forum name: Anything BUT a sailboat forum."

Very limiting as Motor Sailors have a long history at ocean cruising.

Something not 1 in 100 "trawlers " can do.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #24
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Using our common consensus as to what a trawler is, it would be closer to 1 in 10,000.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
WesK,
...................... Most of the subject matter here applies to boats in general. ..............
Much of it does not after the first few replies.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #26
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The real question of course is - Why would a boat owner who doesn't think of his/her boat as a "trawler" join and participate in the "Trawler Forum"? Makes no sense to me.
Even though our boat is only 26 feet and propelled by a sterndrive, I joined TF, Cruisers Forum (lots of sailors), and C-Brats ( we used to have a C-Dory) because we're boaters and cruisers. And we travel mainly at only 6 knots.

In all these sites, there's lots of info about boats, boat equipment and systems, cruising areas and experiences, and more. Fun to read, lots to learn, and occasionally I can post something that might be interesting to others.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
Even though our boat is only 26 feet and propelled by a sterndrive, I joined TF, Cruisers Forum (lots of sailors), and C-Brats ( we used to have a C-Dory) because we're boaters and cruisers. And we travel mainly at only 6 knots.

In all these sites, there's lots of info about boats, boat equipment and systems, cruising areas and experiences, and more. Fun to read, lots to learn, and occasionally I can post something that might be interesting to others.
Of course. Perhaps I should have asked why it was named the Trawler Forum in the first place since by some standards, our boats are not trawlers.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Bremerton WA
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 41 Roughwater
Trawler?

I don't think its so much about what makes a boat a trawler,as it has to do with how we use them. Slow and thoughtful, taking time to enjoy the boat and the surroundings
Russ Borman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Ha ha! They're "Power Cruisers"...Everyone knows that!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #30
Guru

The use of the word trawler to describe a recreational boat has always been foggy. Since the sales hype people selling new builds have realized the term can be an effective tool it has gone beyond foggy to meaningless. The word does seem to attract attention maybe it ignites some inner concept of adventure on the high seas in a authentic working boat? As for why I who do not own a trawler what ever that is, come to this site, it is because a lot of what goes down is about general boating interest and has nothing to do with the foggy trawler concept. That people are attracted to the site because of the trawler word all the better just like sales people use the word to sell their motor boats alias "trawler".
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Five guys rode jet skies from Seattle to Sitka. Does that make them trawlers? Another rowed a boat from Sitka to Seattle, is that a trawler?
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Why would a boat owner who doesn't think of his/her boat as a "trawler" join and participate in the "Trawler Forum"? Makes no sense to me.
Just because the recreational boating industry succumbed to marketing hype several decades ago and adopted a ridiculous term for a toy boat in an attempt to fool the more gullible buyers of these boats into thinking they were getting something they weren't, this does not invalidate the product--- the concept of a recreational cruising boat--- itself.

In 2007 John Baker and Doug Cole hoped to attract recreational cruising boat owners to their new forum, which at the time offered a vastly improved communications format than the existing popular medium for this type of boats which was the Trawlers and Trawlering (T&T) mailing list. So it would have been self-defeating to NOT use the popular term--- however inaccurate and ignorant it happens to be--- in the name of their forum.

Participating in this forum does not automatically mean that a participant buys into the bogus marketing silliness of calling cabin cruisers "trawlers." This is evidenced by the fact that some of the forum's more knowledgeable participants--- Sunchaser, Eric Henning, etc.--- have not been fooled by the marketing hype and actually know the difference between a trawler and a pleasure boat. Cabin cruiser, heavy cruiser, recreational cruiser, passagemaker, power cruiser, diesel cruiser, motor yacht.... there are a lot of names that accurately and intelligently describe what these boats are and are used for.

If a person has been sucked in by the hype and insists on calling their recreational boat a "trawler," that's fine. An individual can call his or her boat whatever they want. He or she can call it frigate or a schooner or a patrol torpedo boat or a landing craft or a purse seiner if they want to, since to them the actual meaning of a term is obviously irrelevant to whatever "thing" they want to apply it to.

Those of us who prefer to use a language accurately know better. This does not mean we don't believe a language should or does evolve. Of course it does. But this evolution is based on what makes sense. When a name has a very specific meaning and is applied to a very specific thing---- dog, cat, apple, bottle, trawler, ship---- this name does not change over time.

For example, why not call the little toy boats most of us have "ships?" It's a much grander and more noble name that "cabin cruiser," or "recreational boat" or even "trawler." If the objective is to assign the attributes of seaworthiness, strength, and reliability to our little boats then why not use a term that really conveys those attributes and call our Bayliners and Tollycraftsa and Carvers and Grand Banks "ships?" At least this term is more general, as opposed to the extremely specific term "trawler" which defines a very specific type of fishing with a vessel that uses a very specific type of fishing gear.

Nobody who knows anything about fishing would call a purse seiner or a troller or a gillnetter a "trawler," so why call a recreational pleasure boat used for cruising--- a waterborne RV if you will and about as far from serious fishing as it's possible to get--- a trawler?

It's stupid. Except, of course, to the marketing crowd who early on realized that while you can't fool all the people all of the time, you sure can fool some of the people all of the time.

Wikipedia does not define a language. In fact, it does the opposite and is the repository for all sorts of inaccuracies. It simply reflects common beliefs and usage even if these are totally inaccurate. Wikipedia is written by the very people who promote and sometimes even create this ignorance and inaccuracy, so to to use it as a definitive source is ignorance itself.

Don't get me wrong--- it's a great resource as there is a lot of useful and accurate information on it. As a professional writer and author, much of it in a field in which accuracy of language is critical, I use it---- and the internet as a whole--- a lot. But you have to have sufficient knowledge, education, and experience to know when resources like Wikipedia are suspect or wrong. Because more often most people might think, they are.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #33
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
What's in a name? Cabin cruiser, heavy cruiser, recreational cruiser, passagemaker, power cruiser, diesel cruiser, motor yacht .....
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #34
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I am thinking about hanging nets on our boat just so when we pass Marin up in the San Juans he will say "There goes a trawler."
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I am thinking about hanging nets on our boat just so when we pass Marin up in the San Juans he will say "There goes a trawler."
Join the club. Some of us purists already rigged trawl nets on the rail just in case we were heckled by other trawler wannabees. Any moment, we could dispatch our nets, trawl, maybe even catch fish!
Attached Thumbnails
bucky trawler net.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

THD and Healhustler---- Takes a lot more than just nets to qualify as a trawler. Gillnetters and purse seiners have nets, too. I know what trawl gear looks like and how it works, so if you're going to try to fool me into thinking your cabin cruisers are trawlers you're going to have to do a lot more than just hang a net on your boat. I've attached a couple of illustrations to help you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Trawler - Copy.jpg   Trawl-Diagram.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin when people give something a name by calling it that for several decades the meaning has been established. Your argument won't float.

You can even get real estate that way by using another persons property for years. You can legally obtain property that way.

Why do you call your vehicle a car? Because the've been calling them cars forever right?

And you knew what boating forum to join right? Of course ... Trawler Forum!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #38
Guru

Maybe the site should keep the trawler in the name but for the sake of accuracy and reality change to "recreational cruising boats and trawler Forum".
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Maybe the site should keep the trawler in the name but for the sake of accuracy and reality change to "recreational cruising boats and trawler Forum".

Nah.....

We're all fine. some are a bit sensitive to the term..
Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I have no problem with the forum name. Those that wish to be stiff necked about our boats not being trawlers are positing themselves directly at the collision of perception vs reality and at this point the perception of our boats being trawlers is quickly becoming reality.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote