Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #201
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
[QUOTE=Marin;402429]Boats tend to be named for their purposes. It's the most intelligent way to define them since boats can have an almost infinite number of shapes, configurations and characteristics.

So you get battleship, patrol torpedo boat, destroyer (shortened from submarine destroyer), seiner, troller, bulk carrier, tanker, trawler, yacht, cabin cruiser, runabout, minesweeper, etc.

When I was in the US Navy we used to go to and from the ship, to shore, in a "motor whale boat". I don't think the US navy has engaged in whaling in some time. These boats were named for their configuration or type and not their use. I rest my case.

Paul

Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #202

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
I think the name "motor whale boat" has indeed to do with how they were used, just not by the Navy....

Quote:
The Monomoy Pulling Boat is a design stepped in American History. Fast, seaworthy, double ended boats were originally developed by colonial merchants for use in landing smuggled cargoes on remote beaches to avoid detection by authorities. Common to nearly all was a light draft, relatively wide beam, rounded stem and stern posts and bow and stern platforms. They were easier to build than their flat-transom counterparts, as the complicated planking and fitting of the transom was totally eliminated. Use of a rudder was often abandoned in favor of a steering oar, which could turn the boat even when not making way through the water. Many boats were equipped with both, and could be shipped and alternated as desired by the coxswain. There are a multitude of sailing rigs adapted for use on these boats, and drawings and manuals suggest a great deal of versatility in a single boat's equipage.

Though their use by smugglers and clandestine parties continued almost unbroken through the age of rum-runners during the 1920s, they were adopted by legitimate organizations as well. Their superior seaworthiness and exceptional performance as surf boats (boats which could land on beaches through breaking waves) quickly drew the attention of whalers, and the military. Because they were as fast and agile as they were seaworthy, early whalers preferred them to flat-transom boats of similar shape for chasing whales. For the same reasons, the United States and British navies both adopted the boats for use aboard warships as early as the turn of the 19th century, dubbing them "whale-gigs" in the Royal Navy and "whaleboats" in the US Navy in recognition of their widespread use in the world's whaling fleets..

Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #203
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swanson View Post

When I was in the US Navy we used to go to and from the ship, to shore, in a "motor whale boat". I don't think the US navy has engaged in whaling in some time. I rest my case.
And you lose. The whaleboat was named for that purpose. The fact that the Navy doesn't practice whaling has squat-all to do with the name of the boat. It was designed originally for whaling which is why it is called that.

A recreational cabin cruiser was never designed for trawling or trolling or gillnetting or seining. So calling it one of these things is simply dumb.

What characteristics do every boat on this forum that the owners and/or manufacturers call a "trawler" have in common? Length? Nope. Beam? Nope. Power? Nope. Speed? Nope. Shape? Nope. Weight? Nope. Open-ocean capable? Nope. In fact, they have no common physical characteristics at all outside of the very basic things that make them boats and not planes.... except one. Every one of them, no matter what shape, what size, what power, what configuration, even how many hulls, has a cabin or cabins of some sort. That is the ONLY common component across the board of every boat on this forum.

How about purpose? What function do all the boats on this forum have in common? Net fishing? Nope. Racing? Nope. Cargo carrying? Nope. Towing things around? Nope. Pushing barges? Nope. Whaling? Nope. Sailing? Nope. Towing skiers? Nope. Running river rapids? Nope. Global exploring? Nope. Scientific research? Nope. Law enforcement? Nope. Naval warfare? Nope.

The one and only function shared by every boat on this forum is cruising.

So what are the only two characteristics every single boat on this forum has? Each one has a cabin and each one is used for cruising.

That's it folks. There are zero characteristics shared by all the boats on this forum that the owners and/or manufacturers call "trawlers" that have anything to do with trawling or any other maritime function other than cruising.

So all of you who are convinced your boats are "trawlers" are living in a fantasy world cooked up by marketing folks who recognized a gullible market when they saw one.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #204

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
The fact that the Navy doesn't practice whaling has squat-all to do with the name of the boat. It was designed originally for whaling which is why it is called that.
Didn't I just post that?

How about we say that a trawler is not a type of boat, it's a state of mind.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #205
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Didn't I just post that?

How about we say that a trawler is not a type of boat, it's a state of mind.
Because it isn't.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #206

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Interesting thread!

I thought of you, Marin:
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #207
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #208
Scraping Paint

Cute stuff Vashon and RTF but I think "winning" in this case is about as meaningless a term as "trawler" applied to cabin cruisers.

People use words however they see fit. There are correct uses and incorrect uses and ambiguous uses but it all comes down to the individual. How they use words is a reflection of a zillion things from their education to upbringing to knowledge to experience to communication skills, you name it.

I put a lot of stock in the correct use of a language for a zillion reasons, too, including those I listed above. It's also a big part of what I do for a living and for entertainment; for example, this building is chock full of editors who, among other things, make sure words are used correctly, punctuation and grammar are correct, and so on. We're getting this hammered at us all the time.

If people agree with me on some topic concerning language and definitions, fine. If they don't, that's fine, too. I have no delusions of somehow forcing them to change what they believe. I don't like revisionist history and I don't like using a language incorrectly so when I see these things occurring I will say something about it because I believe someone should.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #209

City: Middle River, MD
So I was water skiing behind my trawler but the net kept catching my ski
tracyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #210
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyt View Post
So I was water skiing behind my trawler but the net kept catching my ski
The captain thinks a net got caught in the prop.
YouTube / Forsvaret
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #211
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The 3 options for the earliest Nordic Tugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160108_131443.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	48004  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #212
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Sport Tug?
Ah man, I'll be laughing all weekend at that one.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #213
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Sport Tug?

Ah man, I'll be laughing all weekend at that one.

I like them. Reminds me of a smaller version of Pack Mule's boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1452290751.822038.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	48005
Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #214
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
............ People use words however they see fit. There are correct uses and incorrect uses and ambiguous uses but it all comes down to the individual. How they use words is a reflection of a zillion things from their education to upbringing to knowledge to experience to communication skills, you name it. ............ .
You seem to be putting yourself out there as the absolute authority on word usage a the fact is, this is only in your mind. There have been examples provided by people quoting other common uses of the word "trawler" but you seem oblivious to these examples.

I have tried to point out that the meanings and usage of words changes over time and even provided examples. Rather than admit to this, you are stuck with a dated definition and refuse to acknowledge the current common usage.

I will continue to describe my boat as a trawler and you will probably continue to insult my intelligence. So be it, there's no hope.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #215
Guru

Quote:
I like them. Reminds me of a smaller version of Pack Mule's boat. Attachment 48005
Spy, I'm not laughing at the "boat," it's look or use. I'm chuckling at what it is called, which is what this tread has been about.
Got me thinking now. I wonder if there is a Sport Aircraft Carrier
Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #216

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
There is a sport tug for sale in Juneau. It could be used to drag a small trawl.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #217
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
I like them. Reminds me of a smaller version of Pack Mule's boat. Attachment 48005
Spy I guess they do kinda favor each other .Maybe we could get Healhustler to photoshop my aft deck roof off .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	48006  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #218
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
You seem to be putting yourself out there as the absolute authority on word usage
Wrong again. I use dictionaries and other language guidelines as the basis for my statements.

Quote:
There have been examples provided by people quoting other common uses of the word "trawler" but you seem oblivious to these examples.
Wrong again. The fact that others use the word in other incorrect ways does not make them correct. It just makes them wrong in a different way.

Quote:
I have tried to point out that the meanings and usage of words changes over time...
Even my dog knows this. Anyone still breathing knows that language evolves. But this does not automatically make every incorrect, ignorant use of a word valid other than in the mind of the person who uses it incorrectly.

Quote:
You are stuck with a dated definition and refuse to acknowledge the current common usage.
Wrong again. It's not a dated definition according to the sources with a hell of a lot more authority and knowledge of the subject than either of us.

Quote:
I will continue to describe my boat as a trawler and you will probably continue to insult my intelligence.
There. FINALLY you got one right. I learned long ago not to expect ignorance to cure itself so I have no false expectations in this case, either.

What your posts tell me is that you are the exact target of the marketing folks who cooked up the application of the word "trawler" to attach to a cabin cruiser in the hopes of fooling the market into thinking their toy boats had the attributes of a truly seaworthy, rugged, working boat. The objective as a lot of us know, was to change the perception of a (somewhat) mass produced pleasure craft in the eyes of a specific group of buyers.

Like the guys who in the 1800s mixed river water, dye, alcohol and a bit of flavoring and flogged it to a gullible public as a cure for any ailment they might have had, the cruising boat manufacturers read their target market perfectly and fed it a term they knew would clamp onto their buyers' egos and desires and sucker them right on in.

And, as evidenced by this thread, it worked probably better than the market folks ever dreamed it would. When I read one of these "my toy boat's a trawler" posts what I see is a guy standing in front of snake oil wagon in some podunk town holding up a fistful of dollars to the "doctor" and clamoring for "one a' them bottles of magic elixir."

It's a trick as old as the hills. Hell, I and the people I work with use it in some form or other almost every day with our audiences. It should surprise us that it still works as well as it does. But despite today's technology, sophistication and communications, human nature never changes. People will fall for anything if you give them just the right shove.

The word "trawler" was the perfect shove in this case. It would be fascinating to know just how many toy boat sales the use of that word has been directly responsible for.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #219
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I wonder if there is a Sport Aircraft Carrier

The Chinese have several.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #220
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
The Chinese have several.
Remember a few US Navy pilots that tried to treat them as their personal toys.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote