Recommended auto pilot for mechanical steering.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Steele

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Hey members,
We are planning to go coastal with our 40 foot Blueseas Flybridge trawler cruiser so I need to get an auto pilot and compatible chart plotter.. only hiccup is that we have mechanical steering.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance..
Jason

Mechanical steering is no problem. There are A/P available that will handle almost any steering system. I use a wheel mounted system, they are economical but they are limited to boats under about 8 tonnes. For bigger boats you may need to pay a few extra boat bucks for something like Raymarine X-series A/P.

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/media/pdf/SmartPilot-X-Series_brochure.pdf

Mechanical steering is no problem. There are A/P available that will handle almost any steering system. I use a wheel mounted system, they are economical but they are limited to boats under about 8 tonnes. For bigger boats you may need to pay a few extra boat bucks for something like Raymarine X-series A/P.

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/media/pdf/SmartPilot-X-Series_brochure.pdf

Thanks, I’m over 7t so I’ll need a linear.. I think.. I was hoping for a cheaper alternative however looks like boat bucks it is:banghead::blush:

Most of the wheel mounted AP re for sailboats.

As the wind picks up the helm can get very heavy, so they are very cautious about boat size.

If your mechanical steering is light and not heavy to operate the better quality wheel units might be just fine.A good lubrication might help ?

A call to the MFG may ease your concerns .First folks to call,

http://cptautopilot.com/

Last edited:

As the wind picks up the helm can get very heavy, so they are very cautious about boat size.

If your mechanical steering is light and not heavy to operate the better quality wheel units might be just fine.A good lubrication might help ?

A call to the MFG may ease your concerns .First folks to call,

CPT Autopilot Inc.
Thanks, I was thinking that, my steering is vey light, you can turn the wheel with a finger.. do the wheel types combo with chart plotters?

We had APs on our sailboats that had mechanical steering and they worked great. Under sail in 20 knot winds and decent seas, the steering forces required got pretty scary. Of course, the AP was never used in those conditions.

When not under sail, the steering forces were never significant, regardless of the sea state. So I wouldn’t be worried about a wheel mounted AP on your boat.

I added a Raymarine Wheel Pilot on our Marine Trader 34. It is chain driven and works great. Since we don’t go much over 6 knots the wheel forces are never too great.

Attachments

• 4E760BBD-38DE-4039-8865-D0FD8311F608.jpg
    4E760BBD-38DE-4039-8865-D0FD8311F608.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks, I was thinking that, my steering is vey light, you can turn the wheel with a finger.. do the wheel types combo with chart plotters?

If your rudder is well balanced a wheel mounted A/P would be worth a try. I have an old Autohelm 4000, and it easily handles my 7 tonne boat. They are no longer sold but I bought a used 2nd one as a backup on Cruisers Forum for $100. I see them on eBay occasionally, but usually for about $500.

They don't link up with a plotter but for that price, who cares. Just set a course on your plotter, and match the heading on your autopilot.

Yes, that boat is way to big for a wheel pilot type autopilot.

Consider switching to hydraulic steering and an autopilot to match. I thought about that for my outboard powered Tiny Trawler. The cost difference for components- mechanical vs hydraulic including a Baystar hydraulic conversion kit was only $500.

For your boat you will have to go with the heavier Seastar kit and a second helm pump, so the cost difference will be at least $1,000, but well worth it IMO.

David

The AP rating are in tons of displacement, draft, and speed. Be sure to uprate it one size for when conditions get a little snotty.

Thanks for the advice.. switching to hydraulic steering on the boat is not an option.. Cost over here fitted with both helms would be easy 5K. If that AP works on a marine trader 34, then I think it would work ok on our Blue Seas.. pretty sure they were made in the same factory. The rudder is very light on hours so I couldn’t imagine that it would be anywhere near a sail boat... but I would need to rely on the AP as the first safe mooring from our harbour is about 13 hours.
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate ir..

The usual problem why folks do not install a wheel steering on a Hyd steered boat is there is no true wheel center position..

With a mechanical steered boat this is no problem at all.

It is more difficult to install a good mechanical steering , than slop in some plastic hose , so it frequently is the boat assemblers first choice.

All the older Grand Banks had cable steering and perfectly useable autopilots were installed. Your system has a solution too. The hydraulic ram goes on the rudder post. With a hydraulic ram, your wheels will move with the autopilot inputs so you might need to put a destroyer rim on the wheel so nobody gets tangled in a wheel! Make sure there are no meat hooks on the cable (failing) and that all the pulleys and chains are properly lubed and all bearings are good. Each helm wheel is back-driven by its partner so this is not an issue.

Last edited:
I know little to nothing about trawler autopilots, but I cannot imagine how a wheel pilot that could steer a 30' sailboat would have any problem with a 40' trawler. The steering forces on the sailboat are so much higher. My 34' sailboat generated 10x the force on the wheel as my cable-steered GB42.

I know little to nothing about trawler autopilots, but I cannot imagine how a wheel pilot that could steer a 30' sailboat would have any problem with a 40' trawler. The steering forces on the sailboat are so much higher. My 34' sailboat generated 10x the force on the wheel as my cable-steered GB42.
I’m starting to feel that it worth going in this direction.. with Ramarine recommendations it is going to be around 8k without installing....
The wheel steering system would be a third...
I honestly can’t Imagine why they rate power boats to be the same as sail.. I’ve never felt the steering anywhere like a sail boat...

Our boat has the Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot

It system consist of the 1)compass/course computer, 2) pilot controller, and 3) wheel mounted drive unit.

Unfortunately the SPX-5R wheel mounted drive unit has some know clutch issues and is currently not working (knew this when we bought). The PO said the unit has been sent in to Raymarine twice for the clutch repair and it is needed again.

I am hoping to figure out if I can use the installed compass/course computer and pilot controller with some alternative drive unit that does not have know issues.

Been contemplating the installation of a wheel fitted AP on my mechanical system however not cables but chains and rods both stations. Any problems envisaged or does all the above advise apply.

"Any problems envisaged or does all the above advise apply."

The question is not how the mechanical steering is assembled , it is how light is the steering.
The rod and chain is pretty easy to keep up with a grease gun, the chain (usually bronze or SS ) can be sprayed with a can of chain lube from a bike shop.

The Raymarine Wheel Pilot works on my chain and rod system. The systems are pretty hardy. I had to change out my original wood wheel for a stainless Destroyer wheel in order for the Wheel Pilot to fit. I actually like the destroyer wheel better. My next step is to add the Raymarine wireless remote for the Wheel Pilot. Once I have that I can control the autopilot from the upper helm.

Back
Top Bottom