Recommendations for a wood boat surveyors in SW Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. BBoat. I'll apologize up front. I can't remember any specific threads I could direct you toward due to the fact my memory is pretty well non existent. Maybe one of the other members would care to suggest one or two.

I can fully appreciate the frustration you may be experiencing when you ask a simple question and the answers devolve into non related territory but as I mentioned, the thread drift in your case is mild and was caused by, for want of a better description, "nit picking".

I reviewed your thread in it's entirety and it pretty well stays on topic until the late 60's. So, take heart. It's not all bad. At least you're not being tortured on anchors. That, my friend, will surely come.

Not to worry RTF. I don't even remember what the question was. I do remember the doctor gave me some drugs to help with that issue but I don't remember what they were or if I still take them:facepalm:

Wait...no that was for the ED.

BB, your thread has sure taken some tangential turns, but the essence of why you started it is still there.
I hope the survey goes well. It`s what you want, hope it comes through.
This "hair" thing on wood, is it a kind of mould, or is it what`s left after solid wood degrades away?
We had a really nice wooden IG36 offered here a while back, looked a very well kept boat, as good as any f/g example from the pictures. Your GB sounds similar.

Salt water in wood evaporation from all that I have learned. That is the wonder of a venue like this. I have learned so much directly from posts like Marin's to reference papers that were linked by RTF. Two weeks ago I was a lot less informed, aka dumber, than I am now and that's a good thing. Now I can spell delighnification ( with the help of spell check ).

Don't leave me hanging!

I'm a big GB fan and have been reading through this thread because we are looking at a similar boat - what ever ended up happening with Grace?

The bad = results.
After all the talk and my great desire to be the new custodian, she failed the survey. Our hearts were broken but the reality was her current owner did not maintaine the bonding system as he should have allowing some pretty bad things to happen. While repairable it became a matter of value and time and the numbers just would not work for us. Lesson learned! For the right person she would still be a great boat, just not us. I would be happy to share the details, just not in a public forum. PM me if you are interested.
The good = benefits.
I found a very helpful and knowledgeable group of people, AKA the members of this forum whose collective knowledge allowed me to make a clear and necessary decision that otherwise may had been wrong. Thanks guys/girls for keeping me grounded. Ironic choice of words but nevertheless appropriate in this context.
As stated in an earlier post - The quest continues. Think I may be more prone to fiberglass the next time around.
And, while not ending the way we had hoped for, look at all the fun we had on the journey and is that not the essence of why we do what we do? " It is not the destination, it is the journey". The ---- dash. The lessons learned!
Thanks Again - Grace still lives!

Sorry to hear it

Sorry to hear it - there are so many things that can go wrong with the multitude of systems on these boats, especially when they are 40+ years old. I'm not new to boating, but new to boat ownership and although heartbreaking for you the posts you have shared have really helped my wife and I learn.

Both of us are huge fans of the classics, and the idea of a wooden boat really appeals. However, the more we learn, the more apparent it is that these old girls need plenty of attention and that may not be what everyone is looking for.

I am interested in hearing more about the grounding issues - I'll PM you. So, I hate that it didn't work out for you, but thank you for sharing so much!

Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom