Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Reciprocals, do you use them?

Our Yacht Club on Lake Ontario has reciprocal agreements with 70 other clubs on the great lakes. We also accept long range cruisers and loopers as long as they belong to a club that may offer a similar privilege to one of our members. We have given free slips to boats as far away as England, Florida and Newport CA as our charter does not allow us to charge a visitor.
Neither will we turn away any vessel seeking refuge in a storm. We can accept any vessel up to 47' LOA for up to 3 days at no charge.
Fairport Yacht Club, www.fairportyachtclub.ca is a unique club where we actually own the land underwater and each slip is individually owned by the member in a dockominium format.

If you belong to a Yacht Club, what is your Club policy?
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We do have reciprocal deals with local clubs in the NE Florida area and also accept transients at 1:25 per foot.

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I joined a Yacht Club here on the Columbia River just so I could use reciprocals in the Puget Sound area. Never used it. We paid our dues for this year 2016-2017, but the Admiral and I are thinking of just venturing out without a club membership.

The two main clubs in the area are the Victoria and Seattle Yacht clubs. They made it very clear to us that reciprocals are not honored and to stay "the hell OFF" their out stations.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Guru

What do you mean by an "out station?"
Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Guru

Our yacht club has two 100' guest docks available for recips, for up to three days at no charge, providing visitors make reservations as guest docking is in high demand.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Many yacht clubs in the PNW have out stations, they are moorage owned or leased by the club at locations other than there home club facilities. At these locations they do not offer reciprocal benefits as there docking facility is usually limited. Our club has reciprocal privileges with over 90 other clubs as space permits.

This year we used about 14 days of reciprocal with other clubs. Some of our members go on holidays and use 3 to 4 weeks of reciprocal, makes for cheap holidays!
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I joined a Yacht Club here on the Columbia River just so I could use reciprocals in the Puget Sound area. Never used it. We paid our dues for this year 2016-2017, but the Admiral and I are thinking of just venturing out without a club membership.

The two main clubs in the area are the Victoria and Seattle Yacht clubs. They made it very clear to us that reciprocals are not honored and to stay "the hell OFF" their out stations.

The clubs on the Salish Sea have a generous reciprocal policy but none extend those privileges to their out stations. Reciprocal privileges are a courtesy that the clubs in the region have extended to each other. It is something that members should avail themselves of, but not abuse. Keep in mind that the nature of the system is inherent in the name it goes by, "reciprocal ".

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I've used reciprocals in the Portland area, at Umatilla, OR and at Friday Harbor. Our club extends the privilege to visiting boats and can accept 100' boats without problem. We only have 30A power available so for some that is a limiting factor. This summer we had a boat from Portland visit. They couldn't use our 30A power so one of our members called me to see if I have the adapter that plugs into two 30's to create 50. I did and let them borrow it for a few days.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
What do you mean by an "out station?"
To tie in with Mike as he stated some clubs maintain a dock outside their areas. I think Seattle Yacht Club has a dock somewhere in Desolation sound and Victoria Yacht Club has docks in Garden Bay (Pender Harbor).
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We used approx. 20 reciprocal nights a couple of summers ago. That summer we spent three months cruising the "South Sound", so there were plenty of opportunities to grab a reciprocal. At an average of $60/night we saved about $1,200 in moorage fees. Our Port Townsend Yacht Club dues are $150/year. A very good deal! (Plus we do things with the club that are a lot of fun, too...)
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
To tie in with Mike as he stated some clubs maintain a dock outside their areas. I think Seattle Yacht Club has a dock somewhere in Desolation sound and Victoria Yacht Club has docks in Garden Bay (Pender Harbor).
I am a member at both Seattle and Royal Victoria. Seattle maintains 10 outstations, Royal Victoria has 2. Royal Vancouver also has 10 outstations. Like all other clubs in the Salish Sea, they maintain the outstations for use by members only. I am not aware of any club that opens it's outstations to non-members.

All three clubs have reciprocal docks at their home stations. And maintain a long list of clubs from around the world that are part of their reciprocal privileges. These docks all have power available as well as showers in a comfortable, secure setting.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Benefit

I have been a member of a yacht club in the past. It really depends on what reciprocals the club has as to weather you use them. We did, same story it paid for our dues and we had a great time exploring new places!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Yes, and no. We don't ask for free docking, just for them to let us dock. We do mention that we're members elsewhere and sometimes they then say no charge. Our biggest desire is to be able to dock and use other facilities and typically their rates are very reasonable for transients. Florida Council of Yacht Clubs has many members, but few we've chosen to frequent. Florida memberships don't go far in the PNW and Great Lakes, but typically will get you the courtesy of paid dockage.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Just to confuse things, Tom,
RVYC (the Royal Victoria Yacht Club Tom referenced) has an outstation in Long Harbour, Saltspring Island. I am not a member, and don't know if they also have others. They don't have anything official in Desolation Sound, although for a few years they had an informal presence at Elworthy Island in Waddington Channel where several of their members owned and maintained a water system and they maintained a trail to an unnamed lake on West Redonda Island.

RVYC The Royal VANCOUVER Yacht Club, of which I am a member, has 7 outstations, from Long Harbour, Saltspring Island, in the south, to Cortez Bay, in Desolation Sound. For several years this club had a small presence in Shawl Bay, in the Broughtons.

SYC (Seattle Yacht Club) has outstations in several locations in BC, notably across from the RVYC stations in Garden Bay and Cortez Bay, in Ganges Harbour, and several places in the San Juan Islands.

RVYC has reciprocal arrangements with a large number of other clubs, world wide. Visitors to Vancouver, who are membbers of any of the reciprocating clubs will get good moorage in downtown Vancouver for 2 nights at no charge. No reciprocals are allowed at any of the RVYC outstations.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #15
Guru

How do these outstation work. Do they buy the land and establish a dock?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
There are many kinds of outstations. Seattle's range from Port Madison and Henry Island which have dock space for 40 to 50 boats as well as uplands with amenities. At the other end of the scale, they have Ovens Island, approximately 250' of dock with no power or water. With the exception of Ovens Island, all have on site caretakers. Some are just dock space at an existing marina.
RVic has an outstation in Long Harbour. A house with docks out front. There is also an outstation in Friday Harbor which is the end of "C" dock.
As a member, these are tremendous assets. They are free (or 'included') to members. But the members bear the cost as part of their dues.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Guru

So do they buy the land and establish a dock. Do they lease dockage at other locations?

How do they create these outstations.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
How do these outstation work. Do they buy the land and establish a dock?
Just as you suppose.

Ours have been acquired over several decades. In every case the YC would be driven by the wants of the membership. So far, other than giving up the shared facilities at Shawl Bay, the RVYC has not divested itself of any true outstation. To the contrary, we are always on the lookout for another, should circumstances allow.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our club is located on the south end of Lake Washington in Seattle. We have reciprocal privileges with about 70 other clubs in Puget Sound and Canada, from Olympia to Nanaimo. We often use them when space is available, it cuts down on traveling costs. While our club does not have it's own marina, our club house is located at a private marina and we have about 80 feet of reciprocal moorage available for visitors on the end of one of the docks. We're too small to have any outstations.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #20

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Wow, I just checked the two outstations on Saltspring Island and they are bigger than our whole club facilities.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote